Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Amy from both sides of the glass
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have very little experience, almost none, shooting window-lit stuff or reflection images. I'm not happy with this these. I guess you could say this was experimental, at least for me. I also didn't have much time to shoot these as they weren't the sort of images the client was looking for. I shot them while a couple of other models were in makeup. The light was very soft but also VERY flat and had a hazy look to it, even to the naked eye. The reflection image was captured in an atrium-like hallway with a huge skylight overhead. The walls were all painted flat white and even the floor was white marble or some other kind of polished stone. The window-lit image was from the other side of the glass, in a den, where everything was also painted flat-white. Even the carpet was white... actually, kind of a beige off-white.

This was Amy's first time ever, so posing her and trying to get her to relax her body and be expressive, in the short time I had to shoot these, took a lot of my attention away from the technical stuff. I'll be going back to this location soon and I'm going to try some different approaches to these areas in the house to get more contrast into the shots which, hopefully, should make them appear sharper and more vibrant and with a bit more pop.

I'm definitely open to suggestions. I am SO way more at home in my studio.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
Last edited by jimmyd; 08-09-2006 at 02:02 PM..

Re: Amy from both sides of the glass
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576
Comments: 0

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.242.186.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

send an e-mail to JT. He'll fill you in on all you need to know.

Rick D.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.33.211

Mr. D., I know that I am not worthy, and this is not a critique. One thing that has worked for me in the past is to stop down the lense to darken the background, and then just reflect a little of the sunlight back onto the model. By the way, I'm a little tired of you getting so many of the cuties to photograph. As you know, properly stopped down, you can fill flash, but I like the quality of light from the window, it also makes the reflection clearer. Make the area behind the glass panes as dark as possible. Like I say, I bow to your presence, these things have worked for me in the past. Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 08-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger101
Mr. D., I know that I am not worthy, and this is not a critique. One thing that has worked for me in the past is to stop down the lense to darken the background, and then just reflect a little of the sunlight back onto the model. By the way, I'm a little tired of you getting so many of the cuties to photograph. As you know, properly stopped down, you can fill flash, but I like the quality of light from the window, it also makes the reflection clearer. Make the area behind the glass panes as dark as possible. Like I say, I bow to your presence, these things have worked for me in the past. Tom
Thanks GS! Let's see if I got this right: You're suggesting I expose for the light outside the window, even underexpose it, and use fill-flash to compensate? i.e., so the model doesn't become a silhouette? wouldn't that cause the image to lose some of the soft, dreamy qualities I've seen in so many window-lit shots? BTW, I did use a reflector--a gold one to also warm her--but I still wasn't satisfied with the results.

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger101
Mr. D., I know that I am not worthy, and this is not a critique. Tom
P.S. Tom, although I'm fortunate to frequently have so many vivacious victims strutting their stuff in front of my camera, it doesn't mean I know it all. I've never really met a photo-know-it-all. I'm sure there are some. For example, a few of those (seeming) photo-know-it-alls on photo.net. But that doesn't mean those PKIAs necessarilly take great pictures. And I'm not saying they don't, I'm just saying... ya know?

My NSFW blog

Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_canade'
sooo this post is a really just a trick question? or a test? Right??
Gotta be...
Now you went and gave me a big head. Look, I'll admit I know more than the average bear. And it's true I can shoot pretty good stuff pretty damn consistently. If people are gonna hire me and then rehire me again, that's a prerequisite for the rehires. I'm not really saying I'm clueless in terms of photographing window-lit shots or reflections but it's not often that I do so and I certainly don't have a technique for doing so and since I don't it's not automatic for me. A lot of stuff I shoot I'm on autopilot because I've worked out a lot of the bugs by doing it over and over. I think it's called a comfort zone. But when I'm out of my comfort zone I have to think about what I'm doing and how to approach it and if someone knows some **** I don't know about it I'm all ears.

My NSFW blog

Old 08-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.21.110

I rather like the second one - I think the solid red bra looks better on her than the fussy cyan one. And I prefer the lighting in the second shot. To be honest, I would be happy with the second shot - my standards are lower than yours

Sorry I can't help, but I'm listening for the answers to your questions...
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
c_canade'
Old 08-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
I hear yah jimmyd - did you email jt?
did he have any suggestions you can share for this setting?

- chase -
i'm pretty sure JT's outa town and i don't wanna bug him while he's on the road. plus i owe him something... no, not money, but i haven't gotten to it yet and i do owe him something. anyway, i am gonna ask him about it and i'll share what he has to say. better yet, maybe he'll share it here.

My NSFW blog

Old 08-11-2006, 08:00 PM
c_canade'
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
did you try decreasing your brightness on this shot style? and increase your contrast slightly?

underexpose and use the dreaded flash fill PS style? which in this case wouldn't be so dreaded...?

- chase -
You're probly right about increasing the contrast. And no, I didn't use the dreaded fill flash. I thought that would take away from the dreamy quality of the light on her skin. Maybe I thought wrong, huh?

My NSFW blog

Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38676

David_L_Brown is offline IP: 68.224.88.222

Jimmy, I believe the solution to your dilemna is to use a black panel to cut some of the light in the areas where you want to increase contrast. In the reflection shot you could have put it against the glass on the other side of the window and it would have strengthened the reflection and reduced the "fill" on that side by a small amount. In the second shot you could have used it as close to the model's left side/camera right as possible without actually getting it into the shot. Also, the haze effect you are getting on that shot is because you are shooting directly into a large diffused light source. Some lenses deal with this problem better than others so you might want to try a different lens for this situation.
I hope this helps, David
PS; I've been gone since the change-over to the new format. Is it still customary to post an image with a reply of this type? Here's a purposely hazy shot just to cover my butt, even though hers isn't.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown