Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A semi-rant, sorta...
Old 08-06-2006, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.75.105

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't visit G1 near as much as I used to... so maybe I notice things more when I do.

What's so difficult about the no nudity rule? I scanned back a dozen or so threads in the main forum and there are half a dozen instances or bare boobs and butts.

There seems to be a growing trend to send folks off to another site to view images, blogs, etc. Seems to me, there was something said about needing permission to do that from the moderators... dunno, maybe they do have permission. I for one don't follow those links.
I really don't need to visit strange sites and pick up virii, worms, etc.
Ya want me to see it, post it here, not somewhere I definitely don't trust.

This is supposed to be a photography forum, yet there are threads that go on forever and don't have images... just words. Remember the old saw about a picture being worth a 1000 words. I am just as guilty as the rest, but I don't want to link out of the forum, and until the portfolios look like something I'd want someone to see, I'll reserve posting any images. What's your excuse?

Rant mode off... we now return you to the normal program. I'll go away for a longer time this time... promise.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: A semi-rant, sorta...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm feeling all of that. It's a photography site for glamour yet has many restrictions. I'm sure RG is doing what he can. You can't really change the law. This just shows that making more laws doesn't solve anything.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 08-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.199.24

Al,

I agree with you, problem is we can't police every thread. Though when pointed out, we do our best to figure it out. Guess we're going to have to revisit the rules.

Now on the other hand, the portfolio system, still trying to come up with a better method. If you get a chance, check this one out: http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/index.php It's in test mode, but I'm liking it more everyday. Sure, it needs some tweaks too, but it looks much easier to navigate. Thanks, rg.
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.62.143.188

Nobody asked for my opinion, but I'm gonna give it anyway:

I checked out that beta, and I think it's a step in the right direction. Some comments:

1.) It still appears that I can view someone's "portfolio" (I think 'photo album' might be more appropriate) without seeing the vital stats included in their "profile." I believe these should be one.

2.) I didn't test it, but it appears I can now post photos without creating an 'album.' Good move. This isn't Shutterfly and I'm not a sorority girl posting my 'going out' snapshots from the bar.

3.) Comments and ratings. I hate this new trend in webdesign of visitors being able to post comments to everything from blog entries to news articles. If people want C&C, that's why we have a seperate forum. Plus those gigantic boxes under each image take up a ton of space

4.) I can't put my finger on what exactly I'm criticizing with this one, but: Something about the forumy software, and the random images I see when I click categories, and the generic look of all the portfolios, make it feel like I'm viewing the results of a search engine query instead of a hard-coded individual portfolio. Something about it reminds me of, to invoke evil, 0MP's Showcase Gallery, more than how I envision a portfolio system.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak
There seems to be a growing trend to send folks off to another site to view images, blogs, etc. Seems to me, there was something said about needing permission to do that from the moderators... dunno, maybe they do have permission. I for one don't follow those links.
I really don't need to visit strange sites and pick up virii, worms, etc.
Ya want me to see it, post it here, not somewhere I definitely don't trust.
Well gee, Al, I guess that would be me (pimping my blog) you're talking about. You certainly ain't hurting my feelings by not visiting my blog. But to subtlely insinuate I'm leading people to "virii, worms, etc" is kind of insulting. I mean, I know I barely participate on this forum with my nearly 6,000 posts since the first day I stumbled on GarageGlamour and soon thereafter purchased a life-time membership. And altho I've continued posting both words and pictures--probably more pictures than 90% of everyone who visits this site--there's certainly no reason for anyone to trust I won't purposely link them to viruses and worms and such.

BTW, if the mods don't want me pimping my blog all they have to do is say so. No, I didn't ask for permission and I don't plan to ask. If some admin or mod has a problem with that they can tell me to stop and I'll stop. I don't actually give a fuck. My blog certainly ain't a cyber-infomercial like some sites are so I have nothing to gain or lose by you or anyone else visiting it. I write it for me. So whether I'm permitted to link to it from G1 or not is no skin off my ass.

Here's a pic from my shoot today so I'm not guilty of posting a lot of words with no pictures. Notice it conforms to the "no nudity" rule of this particular forum? BTW, for anyone interested, I posted a little recap of today's shoot on my blog which anyone can visit by clicking here: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

Oh man...

I'm drooling...

I love Mole Richardson lights...

View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Jimmy D.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.72.157

Well, it's like this.

I don't visit your blog. But as I said I make it a practice to not follow any links off this or many other sites anymore.

The problem is while your site may be as clean as driven snow virus, worm, and keylogger wise, there are other sites that aren't and people have been known to exploit other people's assumptions regarding safety. That crap is getting more sophisticated every day... I'd just as soon avoid unnecessary exposure to it when possible.

Post your links and promote the hell out of your off site pages... I just won't be there. I'm sure that's not gonna break your heart.

Rolando won't object to this forum being turned into nothing more than a huge list of links to other sites. Look how much money Google is raking in! But I could be wrong...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Rolando
Old 08-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.75.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez
I agree with you, problem is we can't police every thread. Though when pointed out, we do our best to figure it out. Guess we're going to have to revisit the rules.
The point is that nobody is going to pay much attention to a no-nudity rule that's not clearly stated somewhere where everybody sees it.

Then the rule has to be consistently enforced. Otherwise, everyone thinks it applies to somebody else, and not them.

Maybe that's why people who have been around the longest seem to frequently be the ones breaking it...