Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Zealots... Shut up already!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936
Comments: 0

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 69.210.30.147

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This message is not a condemnation of digital photography or digital photographers. It is a frustrated rant about the idiocy of the zealots on the digital side who can't seem to discuss anything photographic without bringing digital into the conversation...

Why is everything you read today assuming: 1) You shoot digital, 2) you want to shoot digital, or 3) you want to talk about digital ?!?

Why is there this constant comparison ? We had this with the advent of video. All you heard was about how video "is as good as film" (manufacturers' hype not users' experiences). Now all you hear is about "how digital is 'as good as/better than' film". You don't seem film people shouting "Hey, film is as good as digital!" Film is comfortable with how good it is. The digital camp seems to be like a spoiled child looking for attention in the shadow of a talented sibling.

Look at the cover of most major film rags and you'll see it boldly proclaimed every month. It's like, after all these years, they're still trying to convince people to buy digital. Look at the numbers, people. Digital, in most cases HAS outsold film. BUT, there are still MANY dedicated film shooters out there that want to talk about film. And NOT necessarily how it compares to digital (or vice versa)

Why can't people just consider it to be a DIFFERENT medium instead of a substitute one?? I do traditional illustration as well as digital illustration but never say, "See how that looks just like oil painting. Painting with brushes is for suckers." There are times when both mediums are the right choice.

I have a D200 which I've used quite extensively in the past few months. For some of my projects I've found it to be the right medium for the moment and have 19 of my photos included as the still gallery for a corporate DVD for an international restaurant chain (think pretty girls in tank tops and orange shorts! Granted, they aren't high art but a credit is credit!)) Film would not have been feasible considering the timeframe and output requirements. But my 3 film bodies are not dusty (and am pricing out a Mamiya AFDII and a Sinar) because they have their place in today's photographic world as well.

Digital / film - Mac / PC - Blonde / Brunette / Redhead - Burger King / McDonald's ... who cares ? Let's appreciate each for the things each bring to the table.

(rant over)

Jim Neumann
BLUEFROG

Re: Zealots... Shut up already!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

nice rant, blue. i don't think everyone is of the mind that digital is superior to film. (or the other way around.) but whether it's about still images or motion picture images, the reality is we're living in the infancy of the digital age and the world is only going to become more digitized. many factors contribute, not the least of which is cost and ease of use.

i was a film guy--both still and motion imagery-- for a long time. now i'm nearly 100% video for both still and motion applications. and for the two big reasons i listed above.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.201.147

Zealots on any subject or concept, wheher religion, politics, or photography, should be drawn and quartered after being thoroughly beaten. At the very least, they should be ignored in any logical discourse. I shot film, 35mm through large format for more than 50 years and truely loved the smell of spent hypo at the end of a marathon darkroom session, at 4 to 6AM. Then a large print sale got me into the digital age and I find that I can not even give away my old darkroom gear.

Film versis digital, it's simply two different media. Which is better, painting a wall with latex or oil, creating a sculpture in bronze or wood, they are all simply different media, all with their own advantages and disadvantages. Those who can not understand and appreciate the advantages and beauty of each are simply shortsighted, ignorant, or both. Both have their place and neither will go away in the forseeable future. It's true, there is little in this world as beautiful, satisfying to the soul and near 'supernatural' as watching an image appear from nothing on a sheet of blank paper in a tray of developer. While maybe not as magical, sitting in a chair and sucking on a Bass Ale at 4AM while a print rolls out of a digital printer also doesn't suck. Both are valid forms of commerce and art and both will be around for a very long time.

BTW, anyone want a Besseler 4x5 enlarger? Cheap? Complete with trays, timers, lights, etc? Did I mention cheap? It's good stuff, it gave me a career, but it's old and so am I and I'm done with it. Besides, I really need that extra guestroom/den!

Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 69.210.30.147

Wow... I am humbled that I got your attemntion, Jimmy. Your work is fantastic and your blog is a daily visit now.

Doug: "Supernatural" is what it is! I don't know how many people I've tried to explain the "magic" of hand developing a black and white print. What kind of shape is the Beseler in? My wife is into B/W (moreso than I) and had been asking what it would take to make her own prints.

Jim

Old 07-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.62.143.188

Man as bad as the film/digital thing is I personally think the Nikon/Canon Wars are much worse. Can't STAND those guys. Especially the pros I know who are reps and they'll bash me cause I bought that 'horrible little D2x'
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.41.51

The reason the digital kids are yelling is because digital is new - it's the kid brother; it had to tolerate the snide remarks as it grew up, like: "of course digital will never replace film for serious photographers...", "if you are being serious about photography, you'll use film...". Now digital is a big kid, they see it as payback time. Eeeesh!

Yeah, different medium (or different "large" ), in some ways, but digital is displacing film in much of what used to be film's "turf" (particularly in an awful lot of commercial work), so some of the die-hard film users are screaming pretty loud, and the digital kids are screaming back.

Try to ignore them. Kick heads when you need to, but do the mature thing when you can

Old 07-29-2006, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 71.199.178.193

I agree with most of what has been said with the first several posts. I have always said that digital and film are apples and oranges. I get pummeled for my photoshop once in awhile too. But on the other hand Jim (Bluefrog) you are zealot of film and YES I have seen film people shouting film is better, still better, always will be better than digital. No soul Im told.

Again the medium is what people make of it. I see people using film for many years to come and many wonderful images yet to come from film.

Now I am going to go do some digital printing from my Xerox iGen3 that the 4/6 color CMYK process guys cant seem to understand why people would want that stuff...

Regards,

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 216.244.16.134

Wow! Imagine strong opinions. Same argument several years back about horses being better than automobiles. Evolution, and marketing. We all have our preferences, that is why we are not all married to the same woman.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

A lot of photographers still swear by B&W film, even thought color film has far outsold B&W. Both have theri place. Many audio enthusiasts have gone back to listening to vinyl records, even thought CDs have far outsold records. There will always be advancements in technology that please many and leave some clinging to the past.

Personally, I used to be a professional video shooter in the late 1980s when digital video cameras and digital video editing started to surpass film. While I loved the convenience of shooting digital video (the cameras are much lighter), I still liked the look of 16mm and 35mm film camera. Even today, many video shooters still prefer the look of film (even though you can simulate the "film look" quite well in a digital post production suite) ... but few would wish to go back to the old days of linear tape editing. Digital non-linear video editing was a vast improvement to the old tape editing and few are looking back on that front.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.247.2

Hmmnnn...... Fedruary 2 nd this year I had a fire in my house! I lost a lot. Things that pains me the most is the loss of 4 top breading Siamese cats, The other is the loss of my Nikon F, Mamiya RB67B pro and my dark room equipment.
Some of my friends tell me it's the 21 st centuray, don't look back and continue with my digital equipment (didn't loose any of that) (well my G-3 was in the living room where the fire started)
Digital technology doubles every 6 months or so. We are treating film the same way we did for the last 80 to 90 years. (roughly with some improvements)
resist change.... you rust!