Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Getting Expressions. What do you do? (Model input too, please)
Old 07-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am hoping to get some input from both models and photographers on the subject of getting expressions from models.

Some of the models I have worked with have a large range of emotions and looks that they convey all by themselves with no effort on my part at all. But others seem to have virtually no range of expression.

There is one young lady that I have worked with a few times who does a lot of work as a promotional model. Every time I work with her she tells me she really wants to get some "hot" and "sexy" pictures. When she comes to shoot she brings really sexy outfits. She seems to be comfortable shooting with me, but the images that result are of a very pretty lady in a sexy outfit, but the images themselves don't really convey a lot of "sexiness" because the expression is just not there. I have shown her some images that I consider to be along the lines of what she wants and she looked at them and definitely agreed with me, but the expressions still don't fit the desired look.

That is the problem, so here are the questions:

As a photographer, how do you explain to the model what kind of look you want when dealing with sexy glamour images? What kind of imagery is acceptable?

Is it possible for someone to learn how to look "sexy"? If it is, anyone have some pointers?

I had never sen the America's Next Top Model program before until about two months ago and since seeing it I have DVRed the previous seasons and watched all of the photo shoots and it looks like a lot of would be models lack the ability to manipulate facial expressions. I have watched their shoots to see if I saw any tricks that eventually resulted in better expressions, but I haven't really seen much of any thing that seemed to work for them.

I am supposed to shoot with this lady again this coming weekend and I would really like to help her get the images she is looking for if I possibly can.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Getting Expressions. What do you do? (Model input too, please)
Old 07-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.86.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tell her to look in the mirror and practice different expressions. Give her emotions and feelings to think about. Sexy, sad, pouty, happy, sensual. Do it yourself as well and see how you get there. Is it by saying a word, breathing in and blowing out with the lips...or by putting yourself in an emotion? Showing images is a great start but it has to be practiced by some. Have her imagine something is happening (boyfriend surprised her with a diamond, she just made cover of Maxim, she is about to get intimate with lover)....like acting. Half of modeling IS acting. Some are naturals, some aren't. I'm not a natural so I get where she is coming from.

Ask her to bring her favorite cd and let her move and shoot to that. Amazing what kind of expressions can come from one's favorite music. Works for me!

HOpe something here helps!

kellyg

Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40659

Huey51 is offline IP: 64.203.20.184

Create some spontaneity. I wait for an opportune moment and then announce to the model that she will be directing me during the next sequence. Then I put on an appropriate music selection like "Freeze Frame" or "Feel like a Woman", turn the volume up, and let her dance around. Of course, you get blurred shots and she's moving in and out of the lights, but the keepers definitely have some great expressions.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by Huey51

Old 07-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

I also struggle with this; some people it's just hard to get the look you're after. I say things like "Imagine such and such" and often it works, sometimes it doesn't.
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Old 07-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

inexperienced models are often insecure models as well. somtimes they think they're projecting an emotion or attitude thru expression, but it just doesn't "read." when this happens, i encourage models to try going overboard, like making fun of the expressions some high-end models use. you know, like the way it was made fun of in the movie "Zoolander." often times, their version of "going overboard" isn't so overboard at all and what they thought they were overdoing kinda works. if not, then you have to reel them in a bit.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45345

jeandarnall is offline IP: 71.120.73.198

Great advice Kelly.

Jean
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyg
Tell her to look in the mirror and practice different expressions. Give her emotions and feelings to think about. Sexy, sad, pouty, happy, sensual. Do it yourself as well and see how you get there. Is it by saying a word, breathing in and blowing out with the lips...or by putting yourself in an emotion? Showing images is a great start but it has to be practiced by some. Have her imagine something is happening (boyfriend surprised her with a diamond, she just made cover of Maxim, she is about to get intimate with lover)....like acting. Half of modeling IS acting. Some are naturals, some aren't. I'm not a natural so I get where she is coming from.

Ask her to bring her favorite cd and let her move and shoot to that. Amazing what kind of expressions can come from one's favorite music. Works for me!

HOpe something here helps!

kellyg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeandarnall Find More Posts by jeandarnall

Thanks for the input everyone
Old 07-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

KellyG - Thanks for the detailed suggestions. I will definitely pass your suggestions along. However, I don't know if any mirror I own can actually handle my attempting to make sexy faces at it without severely shattering LOL

Huey51 - Thanks for the dancing suggestion. I have asked models before "Do you go dancing" and asked them to imagine that type of atmosphere. I will have to take your suggestion and actually have them dance.

TJPhotoGuy - It is nice to know I'm not alone

JimmyD - As always I appreciate benefitting from your experience. I will have to try the exaggeration method and see if I get some good mileage out of that. I will have to take a look at the Zoolander movie as well.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

KellyG and JimmyD offer some great advice.

Some models naturally have more expression to their faces and some really have to work at it. Some models have faces that no matter how sexy they try too look they're always going to look "sweet".

A good MUA can add to the sexy look. With the right outfit, hair, make-up and atmosphere, it can totally change a model's natural look and tendancies.

The kind of music playing definitely has an impact on my pictures, and I have also noticed that I feel a little more self-conscious when there isn't any music playing, almost like it's too quiet.

If you can't be good, be good at it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 07-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.242.186.36

This may sound wierd but have your model "grunt" or look into a mirror and recite the vowels a,e,i,o,u, and have her observe how her facial expression changes with each sound.

Good luck.

Rick D.

Old 07-25-2006, 06:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Toni - Thanks for the help. I do try to use an MUA whenever possible. Music is definitely important. Usually one of the first things I ask a model when she gets in the studio is what she would like to listen to.

Rick - Thanks for the grunting and vowel idea. I hadn't thought of those before. This definitely may help.