Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hobbyists--Are you a photographer?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576
Comments: 0

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.242.186.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Or do you just photograph pretty girls? Why did you pick up the camera and learn/learning to use it properly?

<O</O
Now as for me, I drive a truck for 8-10 hours a day and spend way too much time on the computer lurking, learning and occasionally posting some inane rant on a forum or two. But when I pick up my camera on the weekends I’ll shoot just about anything that catches my eye. Some of those images are pretty darn good, if I may say so myself, and some of them really suck, but I try.

<O</O
When people visit my basement office they see a variety of images on the wall--including my pretty girl pictures. (No nudes though. I have a nine year old daughter). There are barns, birds, insects, flowers, cars, firemen, macro shots and some of the blues bands I’ve worked with.

<O</O
Most of my “formal” training has come from one college beginning photography class, professional photographers that photographed people for a living (Gary Plowman and Steven Van Warner)and through various workshops and seminars.

</O
I consider myself a photographer that drives a truck for a living because I have no business sense and I’m bad with money. I need a job that pays the rent because I have two other people that depend on me for a steady paycheck. My hat goes off to those photographers that make their living in photography and are also able to support their families.

<O</O
Enough blathering. Here’s a picture of a pretty girl because this is a glamour forum and it’s also my favorite genre of photography. Insects are interesting but pretty girls are…well you know.

Rick D.

<O</O
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:Sn></st1:Sn>

<?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com<st1:GivenName>Gary</st1:GivenName> <st1:Sn>Plowman</st1:Sn></st2:PersonName> and <st2:PersonName><st1:GivenName>Steven</st1:GivenName> <st1:Sn>Van Warner</st1:Sn></st2:PersonName>), in the darkroom and through various workshops and seminars.

<O<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:GivenName>Rick</st1:GivenName> <st1:Sn>D.</st1:Sn></st2:PersonName>
<st2:PersonName><font size=" /><st2:PersonName><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><st1:Sn></st1:Sn></st2:PersonName>
<st2:PersonName><FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman"><st1:Sn></st1:Sn></st2:PersonName>

Old 07-20-2006, 07:33 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Re: Hobbyists--Are you a photographer?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.201.147

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Someone, I forget who it was, once commented that professional photographer is a photographer who has working wife with a good income. That's sad, but too often true. Some of the best photographrs I've ever known were not pros, but shooters who did it for the love of their craft/art.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50040

Robear0001 is offline IP: 75.7.250.71

I have been told I am a wannabee...Heck, i know I am not a super great photographer, but I have taken some really nice shots and had many people tell me that I actually made them look good, something they say doesn't happen too often. So, wannabee, You betcha, I wannabee a better photographer, I wannabee better at understanding light, and doing lighting for theater peformances and plays has certainly given me a different perspective. I wannabee better at everything I do and am not afraid to try new things. So what does that make me, I wannabee myself, and do the best I can at that, and that, my fellow sisters and brethren, is all I want everyone else to be, except to be themselves and not me...cause that would make me real confused.

I wish I could be as lucky as some of you are as to finding subjects to shoot. I hint at it to people and give the opportunity but none ever take me up on it. I have a few that would if asked but they are way busy with family and I don't like to intrude. trying to make more of a hobby and remain a non-pushy kind of guy, is tough...but...you guessed it, I wannabee better at that too...

robear

Old 07-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixafter6

I consider myself a photographer that drives a truck for a living because I have no business sense and I’m bad with money.
<o[img]http:>

ya mean, as opposed to photographers (like me) who shoot cameras for a living but (like you) have no business sense and (again, like me) are bad with money yet (again, like you) still manage to pay the rent and support their families?

</o[img]http:>

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.232.210.18

I used to be a photographer. An amateur, got paid a couple of times (wampum beads, as I recall). I loved to draw and photography was a lot easier and a perfect blend of technology and creativity - back when I did all my own b/w work, and even color briefly. I like digital, but it just isn't the same somehow.
I keep telling myself I'll start shooting again, but life keeps getting in the way...grant proposals, reviews, papers to grade, classes to prepare, personal issues ad nauseum.
I don't regret not trying to be a professional photographer. I do love (most of) what I do to earn money, and I'm pretty good at it, at least sometimes. But the creativity of what I do professionally isn't the same as the creativity of photography, and that I miss.
I've looked at a lot of photos and have learned a little bit, I think, about photography. So I keep coming and try to offer encouragement. It's still a thrill to see someone's rendition of a beautiful woman in a way I didn't expect. And, as you say, "... pretty girls are…well you know."

Sorry, no photos on line right now.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
grant proposals, reviews, papers to grade, classes to prepare, personal issues ad nauseum.
john, you teach? dang! and here i've been calling you "the professor" because i simply thought you looked like one!

My NSFW blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.232.210.18

"john, you teach?"

I try to. The amount of learning going on worries me, but I do try to teach.

I'm flattered you think I look like a teacher. I think I look like the homeless guy who hung around Central Square mid-day Saturdays when I was a graduate student...

Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
I'm flattered you think I look like a teacher. I think I look like the homeless guy who hung around Central Square mid-day Saturdays when I was a graduate student...
actually, IMO and considering your avatar, you could pass for Richard Attenborough and he's about as scholarly-looking as they come!

My NSFW blog

Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 70.152.11.42

Once I wanted to be a pro...but now I just want to shoot to shoot...But dont ever call me a GWC or I well smack ya with a Pentax Spotmatic II...then photograph the results to sell for stock...bwaahahaha....

I still need to figure out how to post images ...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 07-21-2006, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.205.115

Quote:
Or do you just photograph pretty girls? Why did you pick up the camera and learn/learning to use it properly?
Other than the occasional holiday or birthday, the first real time I picked up a camera was for Photo I class in college. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to (it was required for the graphic design degree). I shot everything required for our assignments, but I actually liked it. I liked having assignments -- it's more motivation for me than just "because I want to." Honestly, I think it should be required for anyone who wants to get into photography that they have to at least try shooting, developing, and printing their own black & whites, at least once. After seeing that first print appear in the developer, I was hooked. Anyways, it was about three years later when I shot my first pro model. In between that time, I shot landscapes, people (not models), dead birds, cracks in the concrete, rust on metal, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I'm happy with some of my pretty girl shots, but not as happy as I am with this one:

This is quite possibly my most favorite image I've ever taken. Of course, it means more to me because I was there when the chain gang was cleaning up the debris after the storm hit our town square. It's a memory-charged image for me. I always wonder what these three individuals were in for. The first inmate from the left (with sunglasses), I went to high school with him.

If I can ever be as happy or stir up the same feelings (okay, not the same feelings, but the same... I dunno, amount of feeling?) with my pretty-girl and/or fashion photos as I am with this one, then I'll know I'm on to something.

Graphic design I enjoy, but I've learned that I don't like it enough to do it day in and day out. I can't draw/paint well enough to do that for a living, either. Whatever I do has to be in the creative realm, otherwise I'll be bored to the point of insanity, so there's not much left for me than photography. And yet I haven't found a way to make money from that either.

I'm working on it...

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley