Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Requesting Input on Re-vamped Website
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39658
Comments: 0

FotoTejas is offline IP: 209.189.225.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've just completed a major renovation on my website. (It's been a while since I coded so much HTML). Though I am still doing a good bit of "tweaking," I think it may be ready for a beta test. So -- I'd appreciate your review, comments and suggestions.

FotoTejas

I'm mostly seeking comments regarding the "look" and "feel" of the site, but substantive comments on the content are welcome as well, as long as you promise to be gentle in your criticism, LOL.
Last edited by FotoTejas; 07-19-2006 at 10:54 AM..

Re: Requesting Input on Re-vamped Website
Old 07-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39479

Chris_P is offline IP: 70.98.201.160

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First of all, I love your pictures. I like the ones from the Rolando workshop. Now to the site.....

The main page seems rather simplistic. I think you could incorporate your creativity a lot more. It would make fo a decent internal page within a site but not the main page.

For the rates page, I have to go to another page to see the session fee. I think it would be better if you could have all of your prices on 1 page.

Overall, I have to go to too many pages to get the information that I am looking for in my opinion.

Now I will say that your page beats any one that I have created in the past and take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_P Visit Chris_P's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_P

Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 63.161.124.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTejas
I've just completed a major renovation on my website.... I think it may be ready for a beta test. So -- I'd appreciate your review, comments and suggestions.
A few things that I noticed:

(a) sometimes you refer to "my" (as in "my approach to...") and other times you slip into third person "Photo Tejas does this...". Should be consistent throughout.

(b) no where do you give your name. On your contact page, you don't give addresses or names. And, personally, I find it annoying to have to tap out the numbers by looking at the letters ( 823-foto ... better 823-FOTO (1234) ).

(c) On your banner, you have your logo and the "Portraiture, Glamour, and Fine Art" that are not now links.. you might wanna link the logo to your contacts page, and link the other three selections to a page that describes what you mean (and show examples of) the three types of photography you're going for. Sometimes, the defiition of these things can be a bit obscure, so having an example or examples can help solidify your customer's choice.

Otherwise, I like the simplicty of the site - no Flash or music... just your images which speak well for themselves.

Hope that was gentle enough.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.241.132

<p>My first impressions... </p>
<p>The menu items are a bit close together, which was a little confusing for me at first. You have plenty or room to work with, so spacing those buttons out some should pose no problem. </p>
<p>Next for me would be the font used in the body of the page. If possible try something a bit more catchy (Arial is common, but may look better). If you're using a font in an image, you can use anything. Find a font that says something about your site/business, maybe a western style font? Think of it as a logo - what 'look' are you trying to get across?</p>
<p>Lastly, the color scheme. Howabout a little dash of color here and there to add some pizzaz? Black/white/grayscale's fine, but add one or two other colors as accents.</p>
<p>Expect to tweak your site occasionally as the current look/design gets old and/or you come up with a cool idea. That means you're continuing to learn, which is always a good thing. </p>
<p> 'Just my first impressions. I hope they're helpful.</p><p>
Keep shooting,
Alan B.</p>

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy

Old 07-20-2006, 07:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_P
First of all, I love your pictures. I like the ones from the Rolando workshop. Now to the site.....
The main page seems rather simplistic. I think you could incorporate your creativity a lot more. It would make fo a decent internal page within a site but not the main page.
For the rates page, I have to go to another page to see the session fee. I think it would be better if you could have all of your prices on 1 page.
Overall, I have to go to too many pages to get the information that I am looking for in my opinion.
Now I will say that your page beats any one that I have created in the past and take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
Chris
Chris,

Thanks for your thoughts and for the kind words on my images.

I agree that the Main Page is pretty basic, but I was striving for a very clean, simple look. I have a few ideas that will maintain the "clean" while still adding some "pizzazz." Check back in a week or so, and let me know what you think.

As to the multiple-subpage issue, I'm struggling with some people telling me to keep every page small enough to fit on 1024x768 without scrolling (meaning lots of sub-pages), versus people who don't like to "click." I suppose that I could fit the two Rate tables onto the main Rate page, if I took their font really, really small. Your thoughts?

Again, thanks.
Luego

Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd
A few things that I noticed:

(a) sometimes you refer to "my" (as in "my approach to...") and other times you slip into third person "Photo Tejas does this...". Should be consistent throughout.

(b) no where do you give your name. On your contact page, you don't give addresses or names. And, personally, I find it annoying to have to tap out the numbers by looking at the letters ( 823-foto ... better 823-FOTO (1234) ).

(c) On your banner, you have your logo and the "Portraiture, Glamour, and Fine Art" that are not now links.. you might wanna link the logo to your contacts page, and link the other three selections to a page that describes what you mean (and show examples of) the three types of photography you're going for. Sometimes, the defiition of these things can be a bit obscure, so having an example or examples can help solidify your customer's choice.

Otherwise, I like the simplicty of the site - no Flash or music... just your images which speak well for themselves.

Hope that was gentle enough.
Wayne,

Thanks for your input.

Great idea on linking to a page that describes or gives examples of Portraiture, Glamour and Fine Art. That task is now on my "To Do" list. I just have to learn how use a portion of an image (the Banner) as a link. I think that topic is covered in my HTML book, but I didn't read it because I didn't plan to use it. Hurray for another opportunity to learn!

The "I versus FotoTejas" is a holdover from the earlier version of the site, plus a desire to avoid using the same language over and over and over .... You are probably correct in observing that consistency should have prevailed.

The omission of my name was intentional. Glamour Photography is somewhat unpopular in some (prudish) circles in the Bible Belt, and I've already faced an opposing lawyer trying to make an issue of my hobby in court. I don't want him (and other @$$holes like him) to Google me and find the site. If someone is looking for a photographer in my area, they'll find the site, and we can talk from there.

I didn't even think about the alpha versus numeric phone number issue, but you have a good point. I'll add the numbers below the letters.

Thanks again,
Luego

Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboy
<p>My first impressions... </p>
<p>The menu items are a bit close together, which was a little confusing for me at first. You have plenty or room to work with, so spacing those buttons out some should pose no problem. </p>
<p>Next for me would be the font used in the body of the page. If possible try something a bit more catchy (Arial is common, but may look better). If you're using a font in an image, you can use anything. Find a font that says something about your site/business, maybe a western style font? Think of it as a logo - what 'look' are you trying to get across?</p>
<p>Lastly, the color scheme. Howabout a little dash of color here and there to add some pizzaz? Black/white/grayscale's fine, but add one or two other colors as accents.</p>
<p>Expect to tweak your site occasionally as the current look/design gets old and/or you come up with a cool idea. That means you're continuing to learn, which is always a good thing. </p>
<p> 'Just my first impressions. I hope they're helpful.</p><p>
Keep shooting,
Alan B.</p>
Alan,

Thanks for looking.

Good point on the Buttons. Already fixed.

The monochrome is intended to create consistency with my law office site and my family's ranch site, while not competing with color images, but I agree that a "splash" of color (here and there) would be fun. I'll look for a good place to put it.

Font is a bit of a problem with HTML, since not every computer will have every font loaded. I like Garamond as a western-looking font and originally used it. It looked good on two of my screens and not-so-good on the other two (fuzzy). I went with Times as a compromise between "cool look" (Garamond) and readability (Arial). Could you suggest another font that you think has that "western" look?

Thanks again,
Luego

Old 07-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.83.242

Spelling error on this page:

http://www.alfordlaw.net/fototejas/p...-beginner.html

For any given shoot, youl may want to consider some of the following

should be YOU not YOUL

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 07-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.106

You just had to remind me. I have been planning on doing the same thing for a while now. Guess I have to get off my lazy b-- and get it done. One thing I am going to add is a little more flash now that it loads alot better and faster than it did.

Looks like you are on the right path. It all looks good and loads good. Want to see it when it is finished.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto