Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Something a bit different for me...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35558
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to johne

johne is offline IP: 207.137.21.111

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's one that is a bit different from my usual offerings. I normally limit my Photoshop work to touchup and clean up. This time I wanted to give some effort to producing a surrealistic image by using compositing techniques (oh do I have a lot to learn.)

The model (Maggie from Los Angeles) was shot last week. Hair and makeup were done by my daughter/partner Kortney.

Comments appreciated.

Best regards,
John

View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Re: Something a bit different for me...
Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very interesting. I really like the composite of the model and cloud. Her reflection, though seems wrong - I think the geometry is impossible for her reflection to be placed as shown.

(Sorry to quibble thusly- I'm the guy who once complained about how fake blood sprays were applied in a picture. I call it OCD; others just say, er, other things.)

How did you shoot the model? You on a ladder (or balcony) above, fan for wind? Or was she in water perhaps?

Really, really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53645
Send a message via ICQ to KCMui Send a message via AIM to KCMui Send a message via MSN to KCMui

KCMui is offline IP: 67.176.142.201

wow...

very nicely done,

Perhaps I am in the minority that feels whatever you can do to a photograph that enhance it's overall appeal should be encouraged or to some tolerated.

Unless we are talking about photojournalism.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KCMui Visit KCMui's homepage! Find More Posts by KCMui

Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
Very interesting. I really like the composite of the model and cloud. Her reflection, though seems wrong - I think the geometry is impossible for her reflection to be placed as shown.

(Sorry to quibble thusly- I'm the guy who once complained about how fake blood sprays were applied in a picture. I call it OCD; others just say, er, other things.)

How did you shoot the model? You on a ladder (or balcony) above, fan for wind? Or was she in water perhaps?

Really, really nice. Thanks for sharing.
You know... I always appreciate your feedback. (Thank you.)

The model was shot underwater, in the pool. (I used an AquaTech camera water housing for my 1Dsmk2 and an external flash housing for a Canon 580EX flash unit.)

I'm intriqued about your comment regarding the geometry on the model's reflection in the water. What can I do to improve this or correct it? As with the reflection of the clouds, the upper image is duplicated and flipped vertical to create the reflection of the clouds. I used the same technique for the model.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Old 07-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne
The model was shot underwater, in the pool. (I used an AquaTech camera water housing for my 1Dsmk2

OK John, first I think you've done a fine job...bout all I can do with PS is remove a pimple...

Now, am I to understand you put a 1Dsmk2 in a plastic thingamajigee and went underwater with it?? Dude you have got some big time nads...LOL...That would have to be a 10 on the pucker meter for me...I get ancy just walking BY a pool with my 20D in hand...much less putting it underwater...

enjoy your work as always...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

I think the issue is the geometry. I don't know how to correct it simply - it's a question of relative preceived placements of the point of view, the girl, the clouds, and the reflections.

I just erased a long, unintelligible attempt at explaining. I'll try off-line to put together something in the way of an expanation that I wouldn't be ashamed to post. Maybe even a diagram?

It's an excellent image. It's just that my first reaction was, "That can't be" - not because of the flying - I can accept a fantasy - but because of the reflections. Stupid, I know.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

i think yu did an excellent job compositing. i'm not sure about the reflecton. i keep looking at it and thinking what jford said and i'm not sure. what kinda doesn't work for me is it's fairly obvious she was shot underwater yet you 've placed her in the sky. especially when you look at the way the light, filtered by the water, is playing on the backs of her legs and her face. there's blue skies above and the backs of her legs shouldnt' look that way.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Wow! This is the kind of feedback that I was really hoping for... so first off... THANK YOU!

jford: I really appreciate your trying to explain. Do you think the reflection should be squatter or lengthier? (I'll need to do some research checking out real reflections and applying a grid to them to see the difference.)

Jimmy: I sure agree with you about the water reflections. That is why I went with a water theme. The original background was just a shot of clouds in the sky. I figured if I could create the refelction of the coulds off a water source it might be more credible to the reflections on the model from the water, especially her face. It bothered me a bit that I shouldn't expect to see those reflections on her legs (surfaces opposite of the water surface.) I may have to map some leg textures from other shot onto her legs (is that possible? We'll see.)

Bobby: The AquaTech housing is known to be reliable. The main camera housing, 3 ports and the housing for the 580EX is just over $6500. The camera side of the case contains a sensor and a fairly large open reservior area below the camera to catch a water that could get in. They also have a sensor and audible/visible alarm is the sensor mounted on the bottom of the case gets wet.

The housing for the flash does not have the sensor. When I finished the session (it lasted over an hour) there was an inch of water in the bottom of the flash housing. Thank God it didn't do any damage to the 580EX.

Best regards,
John

Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50040

Robear0001 is offline IP: 75.7.250.71

Overall, I really like the image. I have to agree with the water effects on the light. From 3d software I believe this is referred to as caustics. Was there a way to block the light from above the water surface...I think the other term is radiosity...now if I were to go on my understanding without looking them up, radiosity is lighting of the scene through the build up of light reflecting off or being consumed by the objects in and around your environment, and caustics is the environment affecting the levels and focus of the light by the bending and refracting of it. Lastly, if you render with both caustic and radiosity, have a fast computer, start render, get car keys, and go to bar and hope the over priced pain in the butt software you purchased doesn't crash while your drinking and hoping all your settings were correct from the lower res, off with the lighting effects, test render...

Did I say nice job byt the way...

robear

Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear0001
I believe this is referred to as caustics. Was there a way to block the light from above the water surface...I think the other term is radiosity...
Caustic Radiosity? Isn't that what shock jocks like Howard Stern are often guilty of?

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd