Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The Boards are Breeding Like Rabbits - Stop the Madness!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39658
Comments: 0

FotoTejas is offline IP: 209.189.225.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't suppose that anyone really asked me, but I thought that a discussion on the proliferation of new Boards here at G1 might be in order.
I think that this recent, additional split of the Boards was a BAD, BAD IDEA.
Obviously, I don't have access to objective data, but it seem to me that participation on the site is still way "down" from traffic before the "refit." Comments from other members seems to confirm my evaluation.
I understand the need for separate "Nude" and "Non-Nude" Boards, but that split had added to the "dead" feeling. Before the "refit," I remember days that the Main Board had three pages of new Threads. Now, it is an extremely "heavy" day when enough new Threads are created to fill more than a single page.
That being the case, I don't see any benefit to a further "split" of the Boards. For instance, the number of new threads on the single "nude" board was moving at a glacial pace. It seems to me that splitting that board into a total of FOUR separate "nude" Boards (as has been done) will decrease activity to still a greater degree.
In my view, the larger the number of Boards, the harder it is to get adequate participation, because not everyone is going to take the time to review each of a dozen different boards. In other words, increasing tne number of Boards is going to DECREASE interaction among the members.

Re: The Boards are Breeding Like Rabbits - Stop the Madness!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

"In my view, the larger the number of Boards, the harder it is to get adequate participation, because not everyone is going to take the time to review each of a dozen different boards. In other words, increasing tne number of Boards is going to DECREASE interaction among the members."

I agree. Even on the old GG board, there was a fair degree of separation between those who posted on the main forum and those on the "Criticism" forum. I can understand separating the nude images from the main forum..and an off-topic forum and a technical forum make some sense. But I don't think greater division is meritted.

Just my opinon. Possibly worth less than it's costing you.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41395
Send a message via MSN to HankP

HankP is offline IP: 209.131.215.14

I kinda like the addition of the non glamour boards, so we can show our other interest too. I think that will pick up participation.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
"In my view, the larger the number of Boards, the harder it is to get adequate participation, .
In my experience, and I've beenon "boards" since the late 80's, that's definitely true.
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

If there ever was a time, this is it: "KISS"! Just have a warning that all boards may (and probably do) contain nudity.. YMMV

Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

expansion is necessary to accomplish the goals of the photo-imperialists who govern this forum.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Quote:
expansion is necessary to accomplish the goals of the photo-imperialists who govern this forum.
Jimmy -- the more I read your posts (and you new blog), the more I want to meet you someday. Couldn't have said it better!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 72.177.19.229

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankP
I kinda like the addition of the non glamour boards, so we can show our other interest too. I think that will pick up participation.
Please forgive me if this sounds like a personal attack on your idea, Hank... you just happened to be the latest person to voice the opinion that this is a great place for general photography and such.

When I PURCHASED a lifetime membership to GarageGlamour a few years ago, it was expressly because it was a forum devoted entirely to a subject that I have a very active interest in: GLAMOUR. Not a forum where the main topic is weddings... not a forum where people show off their pet photos... not even a place where general people photography is the norm. GLAMOUR. And, while we always tolerated (and sometimes encouraged) the sharing of non-glamour work on GarageGlamour, the emphasis always got back, quickly, to the reason we were all here: GLAMOUR.

And now, though the name has changed, it is still branded as a GLAMOUR forum!

I think Rolando is making a huge mistake by trying to be all things to all people... and creating all these other forums is a continuation of that marketing faux pa.

If you want a forum for non-glamour stuff... I can point you in any number of directions - they're out there by the hundreds, but there is/was only a very few forums where photographers who were serious about glamour photography could meet with others who were similarly serious about this genre of photography.

This is what GarageGlamour / Glamour1 should be all about:

Old 07-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 72.177.19.229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart
Jimmy -- the more I read your posts (and you new blog), the more I want to meet you someday. Couldn't have said it better!
Ya know.. I'm thinking we take up a collection to bring Jimmy out here for the weekend... we set up a "Meet Jimmy" event at the Grapevine Hooters... charge admission... etc.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

I love the community that Rolando started but I don't visit here that much anymore because I just can't stand the site... I think that has more to do with it. I love having multiple boards, I just hate the layout and functionality. But I think mostly its the aesthetics...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry