Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rachael in the Bedroom
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 68.34.49.54

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Another image of the very stunning Rachael Platt, professional model and actress from the NJ/Philly Area

You can see more of Rachael here
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Re: Rachael in the Bedroom
Old 07-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very pretty young lady. Is that a set you built, or a real room? If the latter, what kind of lighting gear do you take with you, and how do you deal with the coloration caused by reflections off the painted walls? This question is only prompted by my noticing the wall color in your image, not by any thing about your image.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 68.34.49.54

This was a room I rented at a B&B. I hate building sets. I'd rather rent a room and just shoot.

I usually bring with me 4 lights. Two evenly powered main lights (for glamour work), a hair light on a stand just out of camera view, and a 4th lite to use where necessary, either as an accent light for her, or for a portion of the room.

I ALWAYS take a custom white balance right at the models nose, at each location I move to, so it takes into account any coloration that may be coming off of the walls, carpet, upholstery, etc.

david@posneg.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 07-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Thanks. I'd noticed that you either did a lot of elaborate sets or shot in B&B's, with a variety of wall/background colors, and yet have nicely balanced images.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53122

Black Ricco is offline IP: 4.252.155.202

I dunno... I guess she's okay if you like that kind of thing in a woman...

but seriously... it's pretty tough to take a bad shot of someone who looks like that, but we're all here to quibble, right?

My only problem is the shadow from the bedpost. I'm thinkin' if the camera was moved about 2 or 3 inches to the right it could've been eliminated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Black Ricco Find More Posts by Black Ricco

Old 07-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Hello Dave,

The images you have posted from this shoot have been great.

I have a question for you about shooting in B&Bs. How do you approach getting permission to shoot? Do you tell the owners that you will be shooting in the room and what you will be shooting? I have seen a lot of different advice about this, mostly related to hotels. But B&Bs tend to be smaller operations and it is more than likely that someone is going to see and hear the flash going off (assuming you are using flash). I am personally more apt to ask permission than worry through the whole shoot that someone is going to knock on the door and tell me to stop.

Also, what kind of lens and lighting do you use in spaces like this? I generally shoot in my studio or outdoors and consequently my 70-200 zoom virtually never leaves my camera since I can shoot full length with it in my studio and I like to be back as far as possible to avoid distortion.

Thanks,

Daryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 207.179.239.13

On the bedpost in the background there is a shadow that I believe your backlight is causing. Use a flag or black construction paper and tape to get the light off of the background. (you prob know this though)

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

DaveB is offline IP: 66.46.90.179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman65
Hello Dave,

The images you have posted from this shoot have been great.

I have a question for you about shooting in B&Bs. How do you approach getting permission to shoot? Do you tell the owners that you will be shooting in the room and what you will be shooting? I have seen a lot of different advice about this, mostly related to hotels. But B&Bs tend to be smaller operations and it is more than likely that someone is going to see and hear the flash going off (assuming you are using flash). I am personally more apt to ask permission than worry through the whole shoot that someone is going to knock on the door and tell me to stop.

Also, what kind of lens and lighting do you use in spaces like this? I generally shoot in my studio or outdoors and consequently my 70-200 zoom virtually never leaves my camera since I can shoot full length with it in my studio and I like to be back as far as possible to avoid distortion.

Thanks,

Daryl
Hi Daryl,

When I look to shoot in a B&B, I e-mail the Inn, let them know who I am and what I do for a living (professional commercial fashion photographer) and I explain that I would like to do a shoot in one of their rooms for a few hours. I usually tell them it will be lingerie, hosery, etc., and that I prefer a bedroom setting, something I haven't previously used. If they ask about nudity, I immediately say, NO WAY!!

I encourage tham to look at my website (www.posneg.com), which has no nudity or anything tasteless on it at all. Usually they feel pretty comfortable.

I typically have to pay the reg. room rate, but that entitles me to have the room until morning, and if the model wants to stay over, she has the room afterwards.

I only shoot in the room, and with the doors closed. I explain that I only need the room I booked, that the door will be closed, and that I will not be noticed by anyone.

Of course, I want that privacy so I can shoot more provocative images if the model and I want to (including nudity), but they think I am doing it for their benefit, and thay are appreciative that I won't be bothering anyone. Nobody can see or hear a flash going off behind closed doors. Try to get a large suite with multiple rooms. You can do a lot more.

I use a 28-105mm F2.8, and I usually bring 4 lights....two with 45" softlighters, one with a grid for hair, and one for backdrop or countour lighting.

Dave
david@posneg.com

Old 07-09-2006, 05:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Thanks for the explanation and your equipment description.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc