Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Anything that can be done?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.253.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

I've got a question for anyone who wants to reply, but if you happen to know the law that'd be great (I know nothing, so any help at all would be great). (Moderators, I hope this is the right place to post this -- if not, feel free to move it.)

I have a friend who was in a contest at Undiscovered.com, the Ultimate Bikini Team contest. She was in first place for most of the month and holding, and if she stayed there she would've won for the month, but just a few days ago she was contacted by site management saying the following:

"Thank you for your interest in our Ultimate Bikini Team contest.
Unfortunately, the Model Search Team has decided not to pursue an audition with you at this time."

That's all they said to her. Soon after that, she was completely removed not only from 1st place where she was, but from the whole top ten (which can be seen here):

http://undiscovered.com/html/hotorno...p?type=1&id=37

Her profile page is still there on their site though, and you can still click to vote and everything, but she doesn't show up in the top ten (and according to her score which shows up on the next page after you vote, she should be):

Her profile: http://undiscovered.com/html/hotorno...contest_type=H

Her score as of this writing (left side - a screen capture after I voted): http://www.sic-cat.com/images/banner...maty-score.png

And here's a snapshot of the top ten. You can see since her score now is 8.2, she SHOULD be there (screen capture): http://www.sic-cat.com/images/banner...ed-top-ten.png

It's apparently now a monthly contest (if you look to the left of her main image on her profile page you'll see where it says "Monthly contest winners start out with a $400 paid audition in Dallas, Texas, USA."), but if you click "Read More" it doesn't mention this at all.

The way they have their rules written out it's a bit confusing to me. See, at first they never mentioned it being a monthly contest at all, but a yearly thing. I'm not sure that matters here though for my question though, since this main rules page has been here the whole time:

http://undiscovered.com/html/hotorno...wdetails&id=37

Anyway, what bothers me is rule no. 4: "Semi-finalists will be chosen by popularity with undiscovered.com viewers and by popularity with the Ultimate Bikini Team management." (emphasis added)

My concern is that this basically means that no matter what the votes are by the fans who visit the site, the site owners have veto power and can pretty much do whatever they want. But does that give them the right to boot her from the contest? I mean, if she won for the month and got the audition, I mean, it's an AUDITION -- if they didn't want her after she auditioned, they could tell her they don't want her and that's that. But can they just basically remove her from the contest like that? It doesn't seem morally right, but legally is there anything she can do? And if there is, would it be worth it to pursue it?

Thank you guys for your help and advice,

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Anything that can be done?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 71.15.100.187

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
...But does that give them the right to boot her from the contest? I mean, if she won for the month and got the audition, I mean, it's an AUDITION -- if they didn't want her after she auditioned, they could tell her they don't want her and that's that. But can they just basically remove her from the contest like that? It doesn't seem morally right, but legally is there anything she can do? And if there is, would it be worth it to pursue it?
First off, I have no earthly idea what the law might say about this situation, but. that's never stopped me from expressing an opinion, before .

One of the things that impress me about "undiscovered.com" is the extent to which they go to hid their identities. Most legitimate businesses in this world want you to know who they are and how to get ahold of them and their products. There doesn't seem to be but the one reference to an 'audition in Dallas, Texas, USA' to give any hint as to where this company is located. No names of owners, operators, officers, nada. A WHOIS search turns up that their registration is through a shell company in Arizona so that the actual registrant's name is hidden from the public.

The ONLY real life company info I could find was for the folks who did the web site, a company in Fort Worth (who, if you click their link at the bottom, show their office address in one of the major business complexes in Fort Worth, along with telephone numbers). But, I doubt that they'd narc out the undiscovered folks if you call 'em up.

All in all, it certainly appears that your friend is left without much recourse. Unless she sent them some money, and then maybe a complaint to the Texas Attorney General's office of consumer fraud might be in order.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
CarlinDahle

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.26.64.208

The sad truth is that internet contests have no regulations, and evidentally there is no source of authority to turn to when these contests do not deliver as promised.
Earlier this year I agressively went after a spot in a contest to be in a 2007 calendar. I finished in 10th place, which did qualify me to be in this calendar. To make a long story short, the prize that I thought was included as part of the winnings wasn't. In fact, they told me to just "submit a photo" for this calendar. Just today I had email correspondence with one of the top 3 "winners" , and she told me she has heard nothing at all from the people running the contest - and the contest ended two months ago.
So I do feel her pain!
Carlin Dahle

Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.58.165

Hey guys, I really appreciate the replies...

Yeah, I'm thinking that she's pretty much screwed over without anything to show for it. It sucks because she's worked for this contest for a long time, but what can you do... I don't think she sent them any money that I know of, at least she's not out that.

She's had problems with not just this online contest, but several of 'em. Three or four that I can think of.

I appreciate the help and comments you two. If anything else becomes of it I'll post it here.

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 66.41.45.95

Most online "contests" serve only one purpose...to gain traffic for the site holding the contest.
They have a contest and get all the entrants to beg their friends to go vote for them...and all it does is get traffic for the site.

Undiscovered.com has a bad reputation. I was involved in a photography contest there last summer...I was in the top ten for weeks (and I did it without asking anyone to vote for me as most of the other guys were doing).
There was supposed to be monthly winners but to my knowledge no one ever won anything.
And then, the contest just simply vanished...they just took it down with no explanation.
They were just scamming people for traffic.....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 06-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.49.153

Wow, I didn't know about that. That sucks, but just confirms what I think about them... Thanks for letting me know.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323

terrace is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

hhmmmm...is she too short? (j/k)
I think that's crappy what they did to her, but as rules go, the site can do whatever they want. Generic or Not, at least they contacted her about it. not complaining, but as an example- this site had a contest a while back that had no winners, and no one has yet contacted the "winners" or "not- winners" (losers is such a nasty word) I was contemplating changing my signature to "self-proclaimed winner of the G1 modeling contest" just for kicks. hahahah But I figured people would not recieve my laid-back humor the way I intended, and doing that might step on some toes, so I decided against it..
Meh, it's the internet world. The world of give it a chance and say heck with it if things dont work out.
Look at the bright side, She at least won the prize of the self- esteem of knowing she could have won. That right there should make her feel good.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.233.225.43

From your comments and others' it appears that there are no real 'prizes' and the people running the contest use it as a way to get free use of excellent photos of beautiful women, to attract traffic.

I have not read the "contest" details closely, nor will I. And you'll probably have trouble tracking down the people running the business ... perhaps the only way practical is to obtain the info from the web company, but short of subpoenas or threats, they probably won't fess up.

If the photos were used without the photographer/copyright owner's permission, he has a right to go after the site owners. If the site owners actually deceived the models, they might have a right to go after the site owners because the site owners defrauded the girls into providing 'something of value,' the use of the photos.

But stepping back a bit, your friend is pretty, sexy, appealing, and the world is full of photographers. So why is she messing around with a contest of uncertain rules, uncertain 'prize,' owners who hide themselves, etc.? Why doesn't she just model ???

Old 06-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 66.21.216.220

Terrace --

Yeah, they can pretty much do whatever they want, it just sucks since she's worked really hard for this contest (about six months). Oh well, I've suggested to her to never deal with these people again, and I think she's gonna lay off the contests for a while, too. And yep, she and I both know she coulda won it easy.

Thanks Terrace,

Sam

P.S.: "Self-proclaimed winner of the G1 modeling contest." You totally oughtta do that. But if you get in trouble don't blame me!!!

glamourpics --

Quote:
From your comments and others' it appears that there are no real 'prizes' and the people running the contest use it as a way to get free use of excellent photos of beautiful women, to attract traffic.
Yep, it looks that way... I think she's getting to the point to let it go (even though I think she was ready to fight them tooth and nail! ). There's probably more to lose in fighting it than not -- if the site owners could really be tracked down, that is.

But I think she's gonna give the contests a rest for a while, and focus on just modeling. Her goal is to be published in an American magazine (she's been published several times in Europe), and with any luck, I'll be the one to get her there. It'd be pretty cool, as she's really the reason I got into model photography in the first place (she was the first pro model I ever worked with). Kinda like bringing things back full circle, you know?

Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45231

Amber_Knight is offline IP: 71.244.23.154

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to Sam's post...
A few things to consider:
-- contests on undiscovered.com are FREE...
--auditions are "PAID", including travel expenses...so, there must be a selection process
--the contest rules and requirements have always been clear; winners will be selected based on popularity with viewers AND the management of undiscovered.com
--nothing was stated or implied within the contest rules that being listed in the "top ten" guaranteed a paid audition or any other type of prize -- the top ten listing is designed solely as a fun feature for our viewers.
--the reason for Martina's removal from the contest? the purpose of the contest was to move up to the next level, which is a paid audition. Since Martina was not selected for a paid audition, she was removed from the contest to make way for other contestants; pretty simple.
-- there really are “winners” in our contests and we really do fly models to Dallas every month and they really do get paid…we have an excellent reputation in the modeling community…
undiscovered.com is all about having fun and helping aspiring models get some publicity and exposure, but we can't select everyone...
Sam, there is no "evil boogey man" in the closet, I promise.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Amber_Knight Visit Amber_Knight's homepage! Find More Posts by Amber_Knight