Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Model no-shows
Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625
Comments: 0

CatCynic is offline IP: 60.224.11.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know it's common, but yesterday was the first time I had to deal with a model not showing up (no, not because I'm good, mainly because I've hired very few models).

I spoke to her on the phone on Thursday, and everything was set. Then it's Sunday morning, and I've unlocked the studio I've rented, turned on the heating, set up lights, and waited. and waited. and waited. Tried calling her repeatedly; sounded like her cellphone was off. Gave up after 2 hours; packed everything up and left. E-mailed her when I got home, asking politely if there was a reason she didn't show up. Haven't had a reply yet.

I was going to pay her at the end of the shoot, so at least she doesn't have any of my money. Even so, I'm out the cost of renting the studio, and several hours of my time.

I very much doubt I'll ever hire her again. Is there anything else I can/should do? I found her through a model website - should I leave feedback there on her not showing up?
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Re: Model no-shows
Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50763
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to silver tip images Send a message via Yahoo to silver tip images

silver tip images is offline IP: 24.19.195.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is very common these days and with no reason or call. I have sent out 6 or more e-mails and only get one reply and then the model not show..It seems on certain sites a great many of the models are truly wannabes, the boy friend or grandparent said they were pretty they should be a model. They post a couple of snapshots and want $100 per hour plus CD. Has not always been this way

Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622

Mookster is offline IP: 69.242.208.129

Wow, that sux. I've only attempted contact with 2 models that interested me, but since I'm listed as a beginner photographer, I wasn't surprised I didn't get any contact back, though I was still disappointed. Just a polite "no thank you" is better than silence... Of course, you have to also factor in that something could have gone wrong and she's out of touch for a reason (drove a car into a lake, and the phone was in the car?, a family emergency came up, could be legitimate, but you never know?)

I'm a newb with this stuff, but I would think it would be a serious disservice to the Pro models out there if it went "unnoticed" or unreported, especially if she was found and contacted through a Model service website.

I'd like to hear what some of our pro's here on G1 think should be done with this. I, as a starting photographer don't want to alienate the community or the models, but I certainly would want to heap praise on the people that deserve it, and make sure nobody else gets screwed by the ones that don't.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 06-26-2006, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.40.132

Oh, I fully understand that there may have been a disaster (death, accident, abduction by aliens). From what I've been hearing, though, there has been an epidemic of deaths, accidents, and abductions by aliens.

And this wasn't even TFP - I was paying!

I'd like to hear from the big boys - does it happen to you, too?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 24.118.210.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
Oh, I fully understand that there may have been a disaster (death, accident, abduction by aliens). From what I've been hearing, though, there has been an epidemic of deaths, accidents, and abductions by aliens.
And this wasn't even TFP - I was paying!
I'd like to hear from the big boys - does it happen to you, too?
I'm not sure I qualify as a "big boy" but I figured I'd comment anyway.

Yes, it happens to everybody. The trick is to make it happen as little as possible.
My "no-show" rate has dropped to a very low level in the last couple of years and much of that is due to the fact that I INSIST on at least one phone conversation BEFORE I even agree to set up a shoot.
One can usually get a pretty good feel for someone (with some practice) on the phone and if I get any sort of "flake vibe" from a model while talking to her I gracefully bow out.

Setting up shoots via email doesn't work. Hell, I weed out most flakes just by telling them that we will have to talk on the phone first.

Something to consider....

Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 06-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 209.92.185.200

I also don't consider myself a "big boy" but wanted to point out that -- even after working with 20-30 models -- I've yet to encounter the often pointed out model no-shows.

As Dean noted, early and concrete communication is very important. And, when possible, I arrange a pre-shoot visit over coffee (usually at a Starbucks or some other public location) to talk about the shoot and get to know the model before working together. It helps kill off the awkwardness of the "how do you do, let's work" meeting and often let's me see area to concentrate (or avoid) when working together.

Have I been lucky avoiding no-shows? Absolutely.
Do they happen often? Sure.
Does it happen just as often vice versa (photogs as no-shows or canceling at the last minute on models)? Most likely.

None of which makes it any less frustrating to you when it happens, I realize. But it is what it is and anything you can do pre-shoot to avoid that will cut down the occurrence.

My thoughts,
Dave

Old 06-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.40.132

Thanks for the suggestion - I like the idea. A no-show at Starbucks has to be cheaper than a no-show at the studio

I did talk to her on the phone beforehand. Twice, in fact. She sounded keen; no rocket scientist, but interested in the shoot.

I know I'm not supposed to, but I let the no-show get me down. Bit hard to avoid: sitting there, everything set up, waiting. Kinda depressing. Did give me the idea for a new image, though: that model, roasting over a low fire. (Somehow suspect she might not show up for that shoot, though )
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323

terrace is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Sucks that this happened to you. As a model I always try to have a reference list for anyone wanting to set up a shoot, maybe that is something you could ask future prospective models. If they have a history of showing up for shoots on time, than they will hopefully keep that streak. If they can't provide any numbers of any legitimate shoots, than I would say your odds are against you.
I think it is just as bad in any other industry. The work ethic of this generation is definitely much different than the ethics my parents keep (and taught me)
I do alot of stuff. I am in the national guard, I am a retail manager, and I try to make modeling a future source of income. I see lots of different people and different environments. In the military, no one is ever late for anything (literally), at the store that I manage, I get more people that hardly show up on time than people who do. Then there is this industry of art--I think what was said above is right on. There are SO many girls online that thier boyfriends or grandma's said were pretty and they should model. It all boils down to people's goals and dedication. During the phone conversation, find out why the person wants to be a model. (is it because this is something they love to do, or because they "want to get paid to look pretty") You can learn alot about a person by what they are passionate about.
sorry for the novel. Just had to give my 2 cents.
Please dont let one bad seed ruin your opinion of the rest of us.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
I very much doubt I'll ever hire her again.
you very much doubt you'll ever hire her again? i guess not. she'd have to have a note signed by two doctors and notarized, an arrest booking document, a death certificate, or verifiable proof she was abducted by aliens for me to re-hire her given those circumstances.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.242.186.36

Quote:
I know I'm not supposed to, but I let the no-show get me down.
Anticipation of an outcome creates an excitement that feeds our adrenilen rush and when we have a "no show" that old inevitable depression sets in. It's to be expected. I'm not one of the big boys around here and I've had my share of no shows. Believe me brother, the rush is always the same and so is the depression.

Keep you chin up for the next model to take a swing at. I think you'll find in the long run that you'll have more shows than no shows.

Rick D.