Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
finding and getting models to show up!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50485
Comments: 0

mhagan is offline IP: 69.248.31.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm an establish photographer, mostly weddings, events and portraits, however I am trying to do more in the glamour and model fields. My biggest hurdle is finding and getting models to show up for the shoots. I have posted my portfolio on G1 and on one or two other photographer / model matching sites. I offer TFP / CD and Iíll pay for nude work. Iím even willing to pay for half of the travel expenses if needed. I can do location work as well as studio. When talking to models I tell them to bring another person if that would make them more comfortable.

Would any photographer and or models please give me some advice as to getting more models to work with me?

Thanks
Mike

Easier said then done!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhagan Visit mhagan's homepage! Find More Posts by mhagan

Re: finding and getting models to show up!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323

terrace is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So, I closed my eyes and turned objective for a sec. I clicked on your portfolio and said to myself "if this photographer asked me to work with him TFP, would I?"

I am going to give you the honest, truth. This is all based on my PERSONAL opinion, and I know that there will be others that dont agree with me.
while your images ARE very good, and good quality-- most of what I see on here (or maybe just what sticks out the most) is all the sexual, sensual images. If I am considering working with a photographer for glamour and I look at his portfolio and the first thing that sticks out are 2 girls in the shower, I am going to give it second thought...than maybe not another thought at all.
Like I said, your images are good, but there was not enough of a variety of things to make a model like me feel comfortable going to meet for a TFP glamour shoot. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the images themselves, it's just that it is overwhelming your portfolio. Many models that are starting out (doing TFP) are a little reluctant to do images like that. After all, those images aren't going to enhance their portfolio any, so the way we (model's) see it, we are giving our time for...___prints that we can't use in our portolio=FREE___

disclaimer: my personal opinion, not discrediting your work. Just sharing my honest thoughts.
good luck, I hope this helps.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Have you had any past experiences that would be considered not-so-popular? Maybe some model has gave word about you in a negative light? Just food for thought...

I checked your portfolio and you have some fun images, but are they what models are looking for? What are they looking for? Possibly you are not reaching the right crowd for the style you put forth.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50485

mhagan is offline IP: 68.34.163.82

I see your points very clearly, Thanks! I will be removing the shower images and try to add fashion and less sexual glamour images to my portfolio.

As far as the bad rep goes, I do not know of anybody have a problem with me. I have a ton of glowing email and "Thanks for being so nice" letters from past clients.

Mike Dean told me once, that he start out the same way and was not getting calls until he changed his porfolio to more fashion, I'll be doing the same.

Thanks
Mike

Easier said then done!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhagan Visit mhagan's homepage! Find More Posts by mhagan

Old 06-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.46.33

But do you want to be shooting fashion? If all you show is stuff showing fashion then that's what you'll be expected to shoot. If you don't want to be shooting fashion, you'll soon be getting annoyed by all the fashion you're having to shoot. Also, stop shooting TFP/CD. Charge something, give them more or pay them outright. TFP/CD only causes them to get ill, have family members die or they just plain up and vanish. They need to gain some real benefit or otherwise have a real investment in spending their time with you.

www.secondsightstudio.com

-=- More Human than Human... -=-
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

My flake factor reduced significantly when I started requiring phone numbers. Once you've talked to the model in person the flakes either go away or get more serious.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
CarlinDahle

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.26.64.208

The person that replied first made an excellent point. I consider myself a non-nude model. If the first thing I see is a bunch of nude/implied nude style poses, I am thinking that is probably the type of photos you would want any model to do.

Titan also makes a good point. Requiring a phone contact # does weed out some of the less serious "players".

What I want in a photographer contact is an up front converation of the style of photography you are seeking and the style wardrobe for the session. I want to know the length of the session, if you are supplying me with a photo CD (edited or unedited), rate of pay, as well as if you are paying for my travel/lodging, etc.

In short, the more professional you are when you make contact is one of the things that determines if I would want to work with you.

Carlin Dahle

Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42088
Comments: 1

nikiblue is offline IP: 65.188.152.240

Some models are just like that. I think you do very nice work and if I were closer to you would certainly work with you. Some models won't do any TFP/CD but I would think that if that's what they agreed to then it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe you might offer some pay if it's an experienced and really good model even if they aren't doing nudes?? Like I said some models are just no shows. It's wrong and it's rude but what can you do. They probably won't have a very good modeling career doing it that way. Especially if more photographers would get the word around about them.

Lisa
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nikiblue Find More Posts by nikiblue