Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is developing a style a nice way of saying you're lazy?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been thinking about this style thing. You know, this whole thing about developing (or having developed) a recognizeable style. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's about making something positive out of something (in some ways) that is less than positive.

Do i have a style? A jimmyD style? yeah. I think i do. I think it probly has something to do with my use of hard edgelighting and very warm skin tones and low-angle lighting and probly some other stuff.

Am i happy to have a style? Well, sure... when it serves me. (i.e., when my supposedly recognizeable style gets me work.... paid work.)

But here's the rub: THe things i do that comprise my style are things i can do on auto-pilot. They are the things i've worked out and practiced and honed to the point i can almost do them with my eyes closed. I meter all my shots, for instance, but i've become so adept at placing my lights and setting their power outputs that i usually know within fairly small tolerances of exposure what the meter's gonna say before i look at it. I guess what i'm saying is i usually know what i'm going to get before i get it and i can get it quite consistently.

There's a bunch of shooters here--good ones--who also can do what they do consistently and, probably, without much thought. and i guess it's a good thing if what you're doing is working. but putting out a good shot, albeit the same shot, over and over is not always so fullfilling except maybe in terms of being able to do that means you can make a living off this thing we do.

and when it becomes tedious and boring it starts to feel more like work than having fun. with some shooters, probly myself included, it's a case of when things tend to look the most different it's more the result of the model or the mUA then anything we do.

i think i'm having photo-angst.

i dunno.

i could probly write more about this... in more detail.. but i'm depressing myself.

jd
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Is developing a style a nice way of saying you're lazy?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38963

timmerjean is offline IP: 66.58.150.231

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You know, it sounds like it's time to grab a model or 2, a sidekick to help out, and take another trip to the desert (beach, mountains?). The last time you did, you were out of your "box", had a kick ass time, and you came back with some totally different, and really spectacular images. I really liked the Kori Rae bunch that you did.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timmerjean Find More Posts by timmerjean

Old 06-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38249
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to screamtherapy

screamtherapy is offline IP: 68.171.16.219

You're one of the very bright spots on this site. So it's odd, but understandable, to see you having photo-angst. The suggestion of stepping outside of your comfort zone may be what inspires you. I'm sure you've seen plenty of examples of amazing photography, is there any area that you haven't seen in a while?

I've always loved your posts. Whether it be an image or something to think about.

--------------------------------

And now for on the topic. I think someone can have a style that has nothing to do with technical decisions of where to place lights and such. A higher form of style could be say.. having the ability to consistently evoke a specific emotion from the viewer despite various lighting and subject matter. That to me would be an accomplishment in style.

like anything.. variety is the spice of life
  View Public Profile Send a private message to screamtherapy Find More Posts by screamtherapy

Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 71.52.83.194

I've had these thoughts to. That your style is just the thing you know how to do. Here are my thoughts on it.

It is a good thing from a comercial POV to have a style. Because people who want to hire a photographer want to know what they are getting. If they see someone with a book all over the place they can't be sure what he shoots will be what they think it will. But if a guy has a commenality to his work, they can feel confident.

I also think that we develop a style because of the limits we have. I've shot a lot of stuff on seamless with a big octabox. So a lot of my images look like that. But since I moved into the new studio I'm getting off the seamless. I'm doing stuff with the other guy's equipment and changing the lighting. So my style may change or evolve.

But equipment isn't the main thing that influences my style. The main thing is what I like to see. I've found I care more about the shadow than the light in my images. So my images have lots of dark shadows. I've also come to like bright backlight lines on the model, but I haven't got how to do that down yet. And I want interesting backgrounds and not just seamless.

Those things will make a style that isn't just limits and lazy, and one I can feel good about calling my own.

Ron

Practical Pinup Online Workshop
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.27.65.55

When style becomes routine, then it's time to re-invent yourself. Add to your library of looks so you won't be locked in or stale. If you stay where you are, you cannot keep up with the world and you will be left behind.
You should always be evolving so that when you look back, you can see how far you've come.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53122

Black Ricco is offline IP: 4.252.154.179

I've always felt that if you're not failing once in a while you're not pushing yourself hard enough.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Black Ricco Find More Posts by Black Ricco

Old 06-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36923
Send a message via Skype™ to BlackTPhoto

BlackTPhoto is offline IP: 69.248.59.237

Having a style and being consistent means that your clients hire you knowing that they are assured a certain level of quality. No harm there.
But as an artist, if you're not challenged things can become stale. Perhaps you can integrate your photography with another artistic skill you enjoy?
Good Luck!
- Oz
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BlackTPhoto Visit BlackTPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BlackTPhoto

Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

I've always considered a photographic style to be a "distinctive point of view". With some photographers a style is more like a window into the way they think. When you see their photos you see the world through their unique point of view.

As far as studio "style" goes I agree with you. We find ways we like to do things and stick with them...that's a point of view isn't it? You create a photo that you like the look of and can sell. I wouldn't so much call it getting lazy as creating something distinctive.

90% of my commercial work is on location and my style is usually defined by what the artist wants. They often show me a photo and tell me they want something similar to this (I don't copy others work BTW, but I try to get the same feel). If they hire you to produce your "look" for them... then what's the problem?

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53122

Black Ricco is offline IP: 4.252.154.179

As a professional photographer you have to have a distinctive style. That's why you're being hired. The client has a particular vision and he feels your style is the most likely to realize that vision. There's big money on the line, and not too many AD's are going to hire you and say, you know what... go nuts, surprise me. They're hiring you because you're a known and expected commodity.

What I think photographers need to do more, in addition to their tried and true style, is experiment and push the boundries so their long time trusting clients will feel comfortable taking chances with them.
I also understand that with folks like us photography may a job we love, but it is never the less, "a job" that pays the bills, and not a passionate hobby. Yes, it beats the hell out of working in a warehouse, but's it's still tough to drag our asses into the studio after 6p.m. or on the weekend to play with untried techniques, unless she's totally hot, only to fail and come up empty after we busted our asses for 30 to 50 hours that week.
What's that saying... all work and no play makes John a dull boy?

Any way, the point I'm trying to make is this... if you can convince your tried and true loyal clients than you're more than just a one trick pony who can do one type of style exceptionally well, you'll probably get more work from that client in the long run than if you don't.

Whew, that was a lot of typing and a lot more work than I'm used to...
I'm gonna have to sit down now and catch my breath.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Black Ricco Find More Posts by Black Ricco
Last edited by Black Ricco; 06-20-2006 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: No breaks in paragraphs

Old 06-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303

Jason407 is offline IP: 68.202.54.215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ricco
Whew, that was a lot of typing and a lot more work than I'm used to...
I'm gonna have to sit down now and catch my breath.
Ricco,
Maybe you should get a shorter desk so you can sit down WHILE you type!

JimmyD,
I happen to like your style...but I feel you here...I agree with what most have said, in that it is good to have a recognizable visual quality to your images, but you don't want to be seen as a one trick ars. It is a shame most of us photogs happen to be creative types...otherwise we would be happy doing the same thing all the time.

P.S. Where are the wooden pallet pics?!?!?!?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407