Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Natalie G from KC last weekend
Old 06-14-2006, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51000
Comments: 0

AndyS is offline IP: 12.217.109.190

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It has been almost like forever since I have posted here - too many fires under my iron I guess

I did manage to escape to the KC Expo last weekend to see old faces and put names to new ones. Like Rick D, I discovered a cute little Ukranian fireball Natalie G eager to work with the photographers there.

View Public Profile Send a private message to AndyS Visit AndyS's homepage! Find More Posts by AndyS

Re: Natalie G from KC last weekend
Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

really nice work. beautiful model. but i have a theoretical question: if every photographer went to a supershoot--and i ain't saying you have--but if everyone did, would every photographer's images look like they were shot by JT? (and i don't mean this in a mean way.)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-14-2006, 03:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
really nice work. beautiful model. but i have a theoretical question: if every photographer went to a supershoot--and i ain't saying you have--but if everyone did, would every photographer's images look like they were shot by JT? (and i don't mean this in a mean way.)
There's a follow-up question, though, Jimmy: would that be a bad thing?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51000

AndyS is offline IP: 12.217.109.190

Quote:
While I don't think that that would be bad, it would make for a boring world if every image looked like J T shot it. I have worked with J T several times on shooting available light and will freely admit that my work is heavily influenced by him. He's about my favorite available light portrait photographer and by working with him, besides taking years off my learning curve, I have substantially increased my senior photography income by being able to get out of the studio and out into the world.

another Natalie

Andy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AndyS Visit AndyS's homepage! Find More Posts by AndyS

Old 06-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
There's a follow-up question, though, Jimmy: would that be a bad thing?
not a bad thing, per se, but probly a boring thing fer sure.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS
He's about my favorite available light portrait photographer and by working with him, besides taking years off my learning curve, I have substantially increased my senior photography income by being able to get out of the studio and out into the world.

Andy
senior photography aside (which is a another genre; one that has, or should have, little to do with glamour photography), my observation about images (seemingly) heavily influenced by JT's techniques was, i suppose, more about me wondering aloud why shooters who learn from JT don't then take that knowledge and use it to develop a unique or different personal style?

in other words, for me, it would be more interesting to see images that have elements of JT's techniques and utilize his technical aspects but don't look like clones of JT's images.

these comments aren't meant to be derrogatory. certainly, if you or anyone can clone or mimic JT's techniques and/or style, your images are going to look great-- that's also part of the hook for JT's workshops. but they're also going to look like JT images and have less going for them that is uniquely and indentifiably your's.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

OK, maybe I have no right to say anything about anyone shooting in anyone's style, but...

Seems to me that the first image looks a lot like a "JT image". But the second one, while definitely showing "JT influence", isn't his kind of vision.

It takes time to develop a personal vision and style, and many of us won't ever be more than imitators. Some of the best work I ever did, IMO, was only pale imitations of far better people. But you've got to ask what purpose, what satisfaction, you have in shooting, particularly for those for whom photography is some sort of creative outlet rather than a source of income.

A guy goes to a workshop and learns a particular technical skill - like JT's quite characteristic overexposure of skin, close - even in-your-face - cropping, and b/w conversion. Of course he's enamoured with his new-found technical skill and will produce images in that vein for a while. But AndyS's already shown that he's not trying to create an endless string of essentially the same image.

I understand (I think) your questioning - I kind of wonder about workshops myself, personally as maybe as a way to get back into shooting. But I think the images in this posting show quite a bit of individually, and your questions - while interesting and appropriate for discussion - don't indicate your recognition of that.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
I understand (I think) your questioning ... But I think the images in this posting show quite a bit of individually, and your questions - while interesting and appropriate for discussion - don't indicate your recognition of that.
therein, i suppose, lie the limitations of discussion in this medium. i agree with all you said. and i'll admit it was his first image i focused on in my commentary. of course there's a big difference between hobbyists and those who make their livings doing this thing we do. i can make images that look like other's images. and sometimes i'm asked to do that. no problem. but if i don't attempt to develop a style that says, "jimmyd," why should some people hire me over others who are shooting in yet others' styles?

i also didn't mean to infer that AndyS doesn't have his own style. I haven't seen enough of his work to know that one way or another. again, it was the first image i was commenting on and I suppose I should have mentioned that somewhere in my posts.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Quote:
not a bad thing, per se, but probly a boring thing fer sure.
While you do put it bluntly, I cannot deny the truth of what you are saying.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Nice images, Andy!

Jimmy, not all of us are as strong as others in the artistic arena. People like to use the cliche of "thinking outside the box." I don't do that well. I examine the box, and look for its strengths and weaknesses...but I have a hard time escaping from it. So the best I can do is build a collection of boxes, which when put together form a box that is "mine." I just came from HTL, and am excited about making some of these "JT style" images, but that'll just be one more tool in my box (to use another cliche). If I have a client who wants a nice clean headshot, it's hard to go wrong with this style, though.

Or to present this another way... When I need to get my car fixed, I go to a professional mechanic. I don't want a mechanic that has a unique style. I want a mechanic that can get the job done professionally (on time, on budget, etc.). Sometimes clients don't come to you because your images are different, they come to you because your images are beautiful...even if you're not the only guy on the planet that could make that image.

But what the hell do I know? You're a world famous photographer, and I'm just some punk who wishes he was.