Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Should I feel bumbed about this ? I am just venting..
Old 06-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There are a couple of girls that I have known for a year or two that work at a place I eat at now and then. I never told them about my photography until 2 weeks ago. I had a cliant ask me to find a model for a quick shoot that was of a certain type . One of the girls would have been perfect. So I knew she was looking for a way to make more money so I told her about the modeling job. Well she gave me her number and her friends number to pass on to my cliant.
At this point they now know I am a photographer.
Tonight I stopped in and sat down and everything seems cool. Then a friend of hers sits right next to me and the girl that knows I will be shooting her in a week pulls out a folder and hands it to the guy that is sitting next to me that she knows. The folder had 3 pictures in it of her and her friend that she said she just had taken. The images were all blown out and looked real bad. But she loved them. And paid some guy $300 to shoot them for her. She did not even say a word to me about anything. I was speachless and felt let down.
I feel kind of hurt that she did not even ask me to shoot her and her friend. And she acted like I was not even there.
What kills me is that I know I could have done a much better job and I would have done it for free. This has killed my night and I don't even know if I should care..
I am just venting I guess....
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Should I feel bumbed about this ? I am just venting..
Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303
Comments: 0

Jason407 is offline IP: 68.202.54.215

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well...to play the glass is half full game...

She does know you are a photog, but has she seen your work yet?

Perhaps her friend setup the shoot with the other photog...not her.

She knows you as a photographer who is shooting for a commercial client, maybe she was nervous to ask if you would stoop to shooting a couple of waitresses.

She gave you her number, but does she have yours?

And lastly...I am sure things will change once she shoots with you and sees how amazing your work is. If she loves those other pics, just think of how much she is going to love yours!So...relax and eat your wings!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Old 06-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.100.117

I lost you a couple of times there, but it sounds like everyone is at least an acquaintance and knows you do that type of work. The problem is in not bursting her bubble and coming across as an arrogant pr!ck.

If you really were willing to photograph her TFP, I'd have simply told her "You know, I do this type of work and can give you some fantastic images. Tell you what, here's my card/contact info/??? If you're interested in creating some really wonderful photographs, call me before the end of the month and I'll photograph you at no charge."

That way you don't burst her bubble, talk down someone else's work, or look like an a$$. You're not setting yourself up for a lifetime of TFP with her, and if you blow her away she'll tell her friends who may then become paying customers.

When life gives you lemons, make some lemonade.

-Chip

Old 06-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.201

Was about to reply to this, but see that Jason and Chip have covered most of the points I was about to make. And I'm glad Chip noted a bit of confusion in reading the tale since I was sitting here thinking "what? is this the potential model or the friend we are hearing about here?" Thought I was the only one scratching my head. Chalk it up to the pitfalls of cyber-communication.

Anyhoo, as mentioned by the others, don't feel slighted by how this has played out. For all we know she could have been thinking of working with this other photographer for months and your recent offer could have jogged her memory and she got in contact with him or her. No telling, you know?

At any rate, know that you could have provided her with just as good (if not better -- haven't seen the other shooter's work so won't pass judgment too much here ... but, at the very least most tactful way of putting it ... different images) than the other photogs. You could have saved her $$ and it's her loss she didn't take advantage of your offer.

Next time you eat there, bring along some results from your most recent shoot (got your PM and sent you a reply) and show her your work. She should see the difference easily enough then.

Good luck with it,

Dave

Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855

TomRobin is offline IP: 151.203.219.171

Even now, it would be a good idea to give her your business card with your web site listed on it. Ask her to see samples of your work, with the offer for her to contact you.

You can't be too forceful, but you don't want to burn the bridge to a possible session or chance referral to one of her friends.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 06-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

ha. crazy. post what comes of it.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 06-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I see that I did not explain the details as well as I could have. Maybe this was not the place to even post it. The more I think about it the more I see that I should just hold up my end of the deal and not say a word about that whole night and do the shoot and see what happens from there. It's going to be a quick shoot just two outfits and we are done.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason407
relax and eat your wings!!!
Jason yes I do eat at that wing joint but this was TGI Fridays..LOL

Mike

Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35247
Comments: 11
My Mood:

G_Roux is offline IP: 67.64.99.201

Mike:

Maybe she was waiting for you to speak up - something like, "yeah those pictures are "nice", but if you are interested I would be willing to shoot some photos for you at no charge and I'll bring some of my work in for you to see tomorrow." Maybe she was shy about approaching you.

However, you never know what people are thinking.

I wouldn't let it get me down. You might bring up the possibility of doing a session with her next time you see her - be sure to have some of your work nearby to prove you can handle a camera!

Good luck and best wishes,
gus
  View Public Profile Send a private message to G_Roux Find More Posts by G_Roux

Old 06-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Roux
Mike:
Maybe she was waiting for you to speak up - something like, "yeah those pictures are "nice", but if you are interested I would be willing to shoot some photos for you at no charge and I'll bring some of my work in for you to see tomorrow." Maybe she was shy about approaching you.
However, you never know what people are thinking.
I wouldn't let it get me down. You might bring up the possibility of doing a session with her next time you see her - be sure to have some of your work nearby to prove you can handle a camera!
Good luck and best wishes,
gus
I just found out my cliant rejected both girls. The e-mail said they don't have time to play games with rookie models. I am shocked about this e-mail . I wonder if my cliant and the two girls did not agree on terms or something? They have a model that they like and she will be doing the shoot with me. This is a real head trip for me..

Mike