Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
B&W Film
Old 06-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660
Comments: 0

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.11.49.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm sure this has been covered here before, multiple times, but I came up empty on forum search, so forgive me.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good b&w film for portraits and nudes thats available in 120/220. I want something with fairly low grain that's not too high-contrast.

I'm sure I'll try several so suggestions of the best to try and also any I can definitely skip would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Re: B&W Film
Old 06-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859

DWilson is offline IP: 198.161.46.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've always liked Ilford's stuff but A) I don't know if they have film in that format and B) Are they even still making film?

www.secondsightstudio.com

-=- More Human than Human... -=-
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 06-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.100.117

The combinations of B&W film and developers are nearly limitless and give you many different results. The film is only the first part, and unless you're willing to put in a great deal of time (and money) testing film/developer combinations you'll never really know what you like best.

B&W film/developer combinations are highly subjective and personal descisions, akin to choosing a religion. I've tried most combinations of Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford films and developers. Ask 50 B&W enthusiasts and you'll get 56 answers as to what is best.

That being said, I use Kodak TMax 100, rate it at ISO 64, and develop it in Kodak XTOL diluted 1:1. Medium-format negatives are all but grainless up to 16x20 enlargements. If you want something faster I use TMax 400 rated at ISO 250, also developed in XTOL diluted 1:1. It's all but grainless up to 11x14 enlargements.

In general, Kodak TMax 100, Ilford Delta 100, and Fuji Neopan 100 Acros are very-fine-grained films. Other characteristics (such as contrast, linearity, and actual film speed) depend greatly on the developer used to process the film and in some cases how the developer is mixed.

For your application (fine grain, normal contrast) I'd stay away from the older generation of 400 speed films (Kodak Tri-X, Ilford HP5) and any film with an ISO rating above 400. Older generation ISO 125 speed films like Kodak Plus-X and Ilford HP4 have about the same grain as newer 400 speed films like TMax 400, Ilford Delta 400, and Fuji Neopan 400.

-Chip

Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.150.134

David Mecey has done some beautiful stuff with fujis acros100 asa
http://www.davidmecey.com/BW-frame.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsleelee
I'm sure this has been covered here before, multiple times, but I came up empty on forum search, so forgive me.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good b&w film for portraits and nudes thats available in 120/220. I want something with fairly low grain that's not too high-contrast.

I'm sure I'll try several so suggestions of the best to try and also any I can definitely skip would be appreciated.

Thanks everybody!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 06-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.216.24

Even though the grain may not be quite as fine, I'm surprised Tri-X 320 wasn't mentioned yet. From what I understand (I haven't used it enough to notice for sure), it's great for people images. You should have great detail and smooth tones in the highlights to midtones.

I don't know what developer you use, but you'd wanna stay away from Rodinal (equivalents, as Rodinal itself isn't around anymore...) if you'll looking for fine grain. What developer do you use?

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 06-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48848

bonj is offline IP: 210.10.195.123

I second the suggestion of Kodak TMax 100 (TMX) developed in XTOL. Although I rate mine at ISO 100. I have found that contrast is high with TMX in Rodinal and the grain structure is clearly defined, but much better with XTOL. Some friends of mine swear by Ilford films developed in Perceptol.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bonj Visit bonj's homepage! Find More Posts by bonj

Old 06-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.100.117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
Even though the grain may not be quite as fine, I'm surprised Tri-X 320 wasn't mentioned yet. From what I understand (I haven't used it enough to notice for sure), it's great for people images. You should have great detail and smooth tones in the highlights to midtones.

...snip...

Sam
Tri-X is grainier than any of the T-cell emulsion-based films like Acros, TMax, or the Deltas (except for the 3200 ISO stuff). Grain is not necessarily bad, though. You can use it to hide blemishes and other imperfections in someone's skin. Tri-X also has a more pronounced shoulder than the above-mentioned films. You can use that characteristic along with over-exposure and under-development to compress the high values in the image, smoothing out skin tones even more. I wouldn't consider it a fine-grained film though, which is what the original poster was looking for.

-Chip

Old 06-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.216.24

Hey Chip,

Yep, you're right about the grain and all, but I figured since he's looking for good b&w films for portraits, etc., that I'd throw that one out there, since I read from one poster on another forum that he considers it one of the most beautiful b&w films for portraits, and that from just what I knew the 320 was designed for portraits.

I shot some Acros 100 rated at 50 (just a few rolls) for a fashion shoot last week. It's a nice film.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley