Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question From The New Guy
Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52810
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mickeyparris Send a message via Yahoo to mickeyparris

mickeyparris is offline IP: 129.49.150.30

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So, for all ya'll people that don't have your studio in your own home, or maybe you can help out too. I see lots of great photographs that are taken in a studio setting. How would one rent studio time? If I do rent studio time, is all of the equipment I use mine from home, or do you think they'd be gracious enough to let me use theirs?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mickeyparris Find More Posts by mickeyparris

Re: Question From The New Guy
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.122.115.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mickey that answer will vary from studio to studio. Each will have its own services and perks. For example, my studio, Houston Skyline Studio, you can rent just the space if you have your own lights OR we have equipment and props for rent...

The best thing to do is just call around to find out what is being offered in your market...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 06-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

mickeyparris is offline IP: 129.49.150.30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Mickey that answer will vary from studio to studio. Each will have its own services and perks. For example, my studio, Houston Skyline Studio, you can rent just the space if you have your own lights OR we have equipment and props for rent...

The best thing to do is just call around to find out what is being offered in your market...

So, I should just call up the portrait studios in town and see what they say about renting space? And, if I were in the great state of Texas, I'd come by and visit your studio. Except, I'm on the Eastern Seaboard.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mickeyparris Find More Posts by mickeyparris

Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyparris
So, I should just call up the portrait studios in town and see what they say about renting space? And, if I were in the great state of Texas, I'd come by and visit your studio. Except, I'm on the Eastern Seaboard.
Thats EXACTLY what you do...Do a google search or check the phone book for photography studios in your area. Call em up and ask what they offer...it all depends on your needs. If you NEED strobes and softboxes, then try and find a studio that offers an all inclusive rental package or a rental rate PLUS the option of equipment rental...good luck

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

This may or may not be true for you, but be aware - very few (any??) rental studios provide instruction. They may give you an orientation to their studio, but don't expect instruction on using the equipment. If you don't know what a speedring or barn doors or a grid are, I would suggest learning more about studio work before renting studio space...

I once watched a photographer who was quite good with outdoor portraits and events completely fall apart in the studio. He had no clue how to use the equipment - none...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 06-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 71.15.100.187

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyparris
... How would one rent studio time? If I do rent studio time, is all of the equipment I use mine from home, or do you think they'd be gracious enough to let me use theirs?
To add to the good advice already given, you might call up your local professional photo supply stores and ask them whether there are rental studios in your area - more than likely they'll know who's renting studios, even folks who don't normally advertise that they rent out their shop.

Further about the "knowing what you're getting into"... when I was renting my studio out, your rental price got you full use of everything, but if you broke it, you paid for it. I'd give you a quick orientation to the equipment and if it appeared that you hadn't a clue (which happens, sometimes) about a particular system, the choice was yours: a bit of paid instruction time (on your dime) or I could put the equipment up in the closet.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

I've rented time in two studios now, and each was quite clear about what was included in the rental. I wanted to use my own lights, and they were fine with that. Both offer rental lighting gear, but it costs more than straight studio time. Both included backgrounds in the base cost.

One of them had two rates for renting strobes - they charged 50% more to digital photographers, because they felt they took more shots per hour, working the strobes harder.

One tip: if you are not doing a commercial shoot, tell the studio that - ask if they have a "portfolio" rate. They will often give you a somewhat cheaper rental if they know you aren't making money on the shoot.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

mickeyparris is offline IP: 70.19.95.175

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
I've rented time in two studios now, and each was quite clear about what was included in the rental. I wanted to use my own lights, and they were fine with that. Both offer rental lighting gear, but it costs more than straight studio time. Both included backgrounds in the base cost.
One of them had two rates for renting strobes - they charged 50% more to digital photographers, because they felt they took more shots per hour, working the strobes harder.
One tip: if you are not doing a commercial shoot, tell the studio that - ask if they have a "portfolio" rate. They will often give you a somewhat cheaper rental if they know you aren't making money on the shoot.
You all are full of information. Thanks a million.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50763
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to silver tip images Send a message via Yahoo to silver tip images

silver tip images is offline IP: 24.19.195.171

Would add to the above good info. start with commerical studios, they are more likely to welcome you than a portrait studio. Especially if doing glamour or figure. Also check you good camera store, they may know who has a studio for rent. I have paid as little as $50.00 for 4 hours and up to $400. for 4 hrs. If shooting glamour and it gets too expensive think abaout a Hotel Suite, sometimes this is cheaper for you. Depends on your budget...