Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
To crop, or color or both or neither?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's 4 versions of the same photo and im wondering which one is preferable? Personally I kind of like each one, though conventional wisdom says to cut out all of the background garbage. Part of the reason we chose that location was the amount of background noise. What's your opinion? C&C appreciated too.

And I swear on all things right and holy, these photos are the same size when being uploaded to photobucket and different sizes coming out....

Re: To crop, or color or both or neither?
Old 06-02-2006, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think that the b/w conversions are too black and not enough white - not even close for her eyewhites, which makes for an overall dark, flat image - pulling her into the background. The b/w crop is better than the b/w full frame, IMO, but - also my opinion - neither is as good as much I've seen from you.

It seems to me that the full frame color image is too static, as the model occupies the center of the lower half - but cropping to give negative space behind the model, while fashionable, doesn't - IMO - create a particularly interesting image - possibly because I can't see enough detail in her face or with enough clarity. This is, however, the one of these four I think best.

In passing - and please excuse my foibles - this model has truly lovely shoulders. Lovely definition and skin tones in the cropped b/w.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
I think that the b/w conversions are too black and not enough white - not even close for her eyewhites, which makes for an overall dark, flat image - pulling her into the background. The b/w crop is better than the b/w full frame, IMO, but - also my opinion - neither is as good as much I've seen from you.
It seems to me that the full frame color image is too static, as the model occupies the center of the lower half - but cropping to give negative space behind the model, while fashionable, doesn't - IMO - create a particularly interesting image - possibly because I can't see enough detail in her face or with enough clarity. This is, however, the one of these four I think best.
In passing - and please excuse my foibles - this model has truly lovely shoulders. Lovely definition and skin tones in the cropped b/w.
I'm glad I posted this when I did, you're not the first person to say that the BW is too dark, I got an email from another G1 member saying the same thing. Fortunately I haven't done the BW conversion for her CD yet, so there's still time to adjust those before she sees them.

Thanks for your comments. I think cropping is one of those things that while subjective, must meet certain criteria, and obviously im still learning those criteria.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 134.205.44.134

okay here's my couple of pennies.

on the b+w conversion: in general the desaturation tool that comes with PSCS2 is so-so. I personally use and love the Nik Color Effects tools. Its an add-on to PS CS2. The b+w conversion tool with Nik allows you to adjust which color band the desaturation affects the most.

anyways back to your images. they definately lack contrast, even the color versions are too flat. fortunately the wise use of the levels tool will save you here.

as for the photos themselves IMHO i think they are "settle shots". these may be exactly what you were looking for but i think including her feet in the image would make it much more dramatic and balanced. i feel as though part of her is missing (which it is).

I like your chouice of backgrounds and i think it has greatr potential. however i think these shots are not 100% fulfilling their potential. I would even suggest leaving in the brush on the left of her. stepping back a little to get more of the grafitti in the picture and her whole body including feet would make it a better image (of course all IMHO).

in the event you are able to retry this location with this or another model I think you would be very pleased with what you see out of my comments. also a b+w version and a color version would both be equally as impressive.

a lot of contrast in this image will really serve two purposes. for one the image as a whole is a very "contrasty" or juxtaposed image since she is obviously a beautiful and clean and soft woman against a dirty, rusty, tagged door with weeds growing around her. the conterast will bring out these details.

also you might consider an artistic piece where you leave here in color and desaturate the background. this would be a great wall hanging as well. best of luck and thank you for your submissions.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 06-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323
Comments: 0

terrace is offline IP: 12.221.236.82

i agree with what the above comments stated. My only comment to them is to post an image to help explain (an example) of what they are talking about. since they didnt I am posting with an image that was edited from color in PSCS2, by removing 2 of the color channels. You dont have to use any tool, just pull all of 2 colors channels out.

In addition to the above comments (or maybe they already said this...) I think it would not have looked so flat if it were taken at a different angle. Being outside, with a wall behind you, it is hard to create that depth (whereas inside a studio you have lights to your advantage)

but those are just my two cents, cause like someone said, these images have much-o potential! keep up the good work! If you do anything else with these, or try anything different, make sure you post it so we can see!

Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.131.44.53

check your pixel dimensions as you post then check again, photobucket may limit by file size, BW is bigger because of less info per given space.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

How's this? Any better?

Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

"Any better?"

Much.