Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
what to buy next...lighting question
Old 05-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377
Comments: 0

photopro34 is offline IP: 71.122.206.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey All,

I will be doing some food photography for a resturante in NY in the upcomming weeks. I am looking to purchase another light..something portable. I have AB's, but I am looking to try something else. I was thinking about a hensel porty with a JR battery. Did I say this right? Anyways, I am looking for something that has a superb quality and color or light. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Michael

ps..please post pics with the lighting used if possible.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Re: what to buy next...lighting question
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

why do you need portable lighting to shoot food products? i'm guessing--please correct me if i'm wrong--that you'll have access to a/c assuming you're shooting at the restaurant. i'm not saying a hensel porty or something like it is a waste by any means, just don't understand why you might need something portable and battery-powered shooting product photography unless you're going into the great outdoors or on the street to shoot the stuff.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 05-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
why do you need portable lighting to shoot food products? i'm guessing--please correct me if i'm wrong--that you'll have access to a/c assuming you're shooting at the restaurant. i'm not saying a hensel porty or something like it is a waste by any means, just don't understand why you might need something portable and battery-powered shooting product photography unless you're going into the great outdoors or on the street to shoot the stuff.
Jimmy,

Let me try and help. ;-) Sometimes it's not about needing it. Sometimes it's about convenience. The Hensel Porty is definitely convenient.

If we bought everything that we "needed" I just have this feeling the photography equiptment industry would suffer.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith
If we bought everything that we "needed" I just have this feeling the photography equiptment industry would suffer.

J T
boy, ain't that the freakin' truth!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 05-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Hey Jimmy,

Your right..I really dont NEED it. However there is a dual purpose. I have been wanting to buy something to shoot outside with to try dragging the shutter for some sunset images, as well as using it for turning the models backs to the sun and lighting them from upfront. Since this is a paying job and the money would not be comming "out of my pocket", thought I would take advantage of it. I would be very convenient as JT mentioned incase the power goes out or incase the client decides to change his mind on the location to somewhere where there is not power. I know I know..the client NEVER changes their mind but I would still like to be prepared.....lol. I like the bee's, but, I have heard other strobes (dyna-lite, hensel and elichrome?) have a very nice quality of light. Maybe I am silly and light is just light?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 05-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

lol JT...your ssssooooo on the money with that one!!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Light is light. Don't confuse light quality with quality of light. Everything that you desire out of the Porty Pack, you can get with the AB's. Alien Bees makes a battery pack. Get their radio remote and your set.

Hensel boasts the same color temperature across the whole range of power. But, if you're like me and shooting in mixed light situations a lot, why would you not want to white balance every lighting scenario. Yeah the color temp is the same at 10% as it is at 90%, but who cares? Does this resteraunt have daylight balanced lights or flourescents?

Yeah, you can go out and get a Hensel Porty pack and spend a lot of money doing it. It sure will make a lot of other photographers jealous that you have one and they don't. If that's worth $2000 to you then go right ahead. Personally, if I had that kind of money to blow, I would put it in advertising first.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

I gotta go with what dynamike said-- Photons are photons and Hensel's photon's (or Broncolor's or Elinchron's or a host of other lighting manufacturers) aren't different than anyone else's photons.

As far as color temperature goes, if your ABs drift (color temp wise) at different power outputs it's just a matter of knowing your equipment and compensating. i shoot with Novatron monolights. Do they drift at various power outputs? Heck, I dunno. I don't really notice them getting, say, warmer at lower outputs. But if they do, I take back control of the color in post so i'm not really worried about it.

Personally, one of the biggest issues with me is recycle time. My novatrons recycle fast and when i've put a less expensive, lower-quality strobe in the mix, and it doesn't recycle the power as fast as my Novatrons, I get really annoyed.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
I gotta go with what dynamike said-- Photons are photons and Hensel's photon's (or Broncolor's or Elinchron's or a host of other lighting manufacturers) aren't different than anyone else's photons.
Thanks Jimmy. Validation from you feels good.

Mike