Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A Sad Day in Photography...
Old 05-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.196.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It saddens me to type this post. On April 14th of this year, Randy Searle, our host for our workshops in Williamsburg, VA, informed me to "hold off" on setting up another Williamsburg workshop due to the diagnosis of a tumor between his kidney and liver. Randy would also learn on May 11th that there was another tumor attached to his heart and was probably caused by Melanoma (stage 4).

While I don't have all the details as I just returned from Maui and I've been offline and ill myself, I've sadly learned that Randy passed yesterday around 1 p.m. with tentative funeral arrangements as follows:

Tuesday evening, May 30: Visitation
Wednesday, May 31: Funeral Service

There will be more news to follow, but I've also heard that their will be an auction around June 22, to help raise money to support his family. Randy was about family. I'm not sure if this auction date will change, but I'll let you know as soon as I can tell.

For those that don't remember, a few years back Randy had multiple organ failure due to some other medical problems, amazingly he survived that bout and back then we raised several thousand dollars on this site alone to help him, his wife Susie (a state trooper) and their kids. I ask that you consider making a contribution, large or small, in the name of photography, to help his family directly by sending any proceeds to:

c/o John B. Warters, M.Photog.,FP
Photo Reflections Inc.
Randy Searle Family Fund
10365 Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23606
757-599-8399

Randy loved "GG" and was one of the original contributors here. He loved holding our workshops and always went out of the way to help out. Randy was a recognized member of the Virginia Professional Photographers Association and loved that organization like family and achieved Master Photographer status with VPPA. Randy was an Air Force veteran who served his country with patriotism. Randy was a passionate professional photographer. Randy Searle was Randy Searle, a mentor to some, like a father to some, but most important, a friend to many and a husband to one.

I close for now by asking everyone to say a prayer for his family and if you can contribute to help them please do so. Williamsburg will never be the same.

God Bless his family and friends, Rolando Gomez
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez
Last edited by rolandogomez; 05-28-2006 at 11:45 AM..

Re: A Sad Day in Photography...
Old 05-28-2006, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218
Comments: 0

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.157.209

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

That is sad indeed. I didn't have a chance to meet Randy, but I remember him from 'the old days' and it feels as though I knew him well. He'll be missed by many.

Old 05-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35309

postcardsfromthewasteland is offline IP: 68.218.29.241

I never met Randy but have seen his name and work all about. A sad day indeed....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to postcardsfromthewasteland Visit postcardsfromthewasteland's homepage! Find More Posts by postcardsfromthewasteland

Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323

terrace is offline IP: 12.221.238.168

His family will be in my prayers.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51357

BitterCoconut is offline IP: 71.196.242.60

Very sad day! Randy's family will be in our prayers and I will be contacting several local photographers for a donation to assist Randy's family.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BitterCoconut Find More Posts by BitterCoconut

Old 05-29-2006, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42088
Comments: 1

nikiblue is offline IP: 4.154.5.254

Randy was a great guy! He had a great sense of humor, very funny, very sweet. I only wish I had gotten the chance to work with him once more. He was a fabulous photographer and will be greatly missed.

We all take life for granted sometimes but it is one thing so precious you never know when your time is up. Young or old, this could happen to any one of us. Let's keep his family in our hearts and prayers.

And never forget Randy's smiling face and wisecrack jokes.

He will be missed!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nikiblue Find More Posts by nikiblue

Old 05-29-2006, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35196

mindyk is offline IP: 68.37.224.175

OMG, I spoke with Randy on many occasions. He was a wonderful person, a talented and creative photographer and a kind friend. He will be missed very much. May he rest in peace for all eternity. My condolences to his family.
MindyK
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by mindyk

Old 05-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35356
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to jburian Send a message via MSN to jburian Send a message via Yahoo to jburian

jburian is offline IP: 72.28.17.215

Randy was a friend and will be greatly missed. I met him at a GG Williamburg workshop a few years ago. Spent several hours that weekend swapping war stories with Randy and Rolando (I'm ex-Air Force, too). Randy was one of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met. My prayers go out to his family and friends. God bless.

Jeff
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jburian Visit jburian's homepage! Find More Posts by jburian

Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51946

Frank Stewart is offline IP: 70.184.187.6

For the last three years, I had the pleasure of shooting in Randy's studio several times a month.

The ways Randy helped me are too numerous to list totally. He taught me very basic lighting and model posing. He helped me with contacting models and information on digital photography.

His humor was such that I loved sititng around with him after a shoot and talking life experiences as well as photography.

I shall miss Randy very much and there will be a hole in my life which he filled. I will think of him every time I do a shoot and ask myself how he would have done it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Frank Stewart Find More Posts by Frank Stewart

Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.15.27

His family will be in my prayers.....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine