Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Work from last Saturday
Old 05-25-2006, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.7

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Back in March G1's Michael Dean asked if I could lend him a hand with a shoot he was doing at his studio in Coatesville, which -- of course -- I said "absolutely" to. During that day I met one of his models, Kitty, and she approached me about getting together to go some casual location shooting when our schedules allowed (which got an equally enthusiastic 'absolutely" from me ... lol),

Fast forward to this past Saturday when we finally got the chance to spend a few hours at her family's place in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Here are a few of what we did that day. Comment & critiques appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Model: Kitty
MUA: By model
All image with Canon 20D and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (and varying focal lengths) in available light with reflector

Re: Work from last Saturday
Old 05-25-2006, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45345

jeandarnall is offline IP: 71.120.73.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

They all look great Dave. I like # 3 the best though.
Jean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeandarnall Find More Posts by jeandarnall

Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.201

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandarnall
They all look great Dave. I like # 3 the best though.
Jean
Thanks Jean! Kitty was fun to work with.

Dave

Old 05-25-2006, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Nice shots Dave,...looks like you had yet another fun day of shooting a pretty model.

Quote:
All image with Canon 20D and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens (and varying focal lengths) in available light with reflector
I picked up a 20D last weekend, and I'm curious,..do you shoot raw or jpg, what parameter settings, and do you use any of the custom functions? Any tips on the 20D are appreciated.

Oh, and what kind and size of reflector did you use? I know, too many questions, sorry

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC
Nice shots Dave,...looks like you had yet another fun day of shooting a pretty model.
Thanks Ron and yep, I always do ... lol

Looking forward to a tandem shoot that upcoming with Lee Strickland and two models on Tuesday. He and I struck up a conversation and a nice friendship during an RG Philly workshop years ago and he was kind enough to invite me into this shoot he had set up. Should be a blast!

Quote:
I picked up a 20D last weekend, and I'm curious,..do you shoot raw or jpg, what parameter settings, and do you use any of the custom functions? Any tips on the 20D are appreciated.
You'll love the 20D -- I know I do (although that 30D and 5D ARE tempting). What format I shoot with pretty much depends upon what I am doing. But I do have to admit I'm more of an old-school shooter and tend to use the "you better get it right as you do it" JPG as opposed to the "let me cover my butt for now" RAW mode. Grated that there ARE times the higher bits-per channel mode draw me that way, too. LOL

I've been noticeably lazy on parameters for the most part. I do use the b/w modes a lot (though plenty will argue to go RBG and change in PS, I like using the camera parameter's color filters to my advantage so go that route).

I avoid Canon's auto WB at all costs finding it too cool for my tastes, typically going with either the Shade or Cloudy preset or, most often, custom setting it myself.

Bottom line, I try to get it as close to right in the camera. Saves me messing with the pixels later and makes post-production work a heck of a lot faster.

Quote:
Oh, and what kind and size of reflector did you use? I know, too many questions, sorry
Hey, never such a thing as too many question, Ron!

I have three sizes I use (all 5-in-1 jobbies). The 3-foot circular (my first and nowadays least used one), the 3x4-foot rectangular (use this one the most and the one I used in all the KItty shots -- silver-side), and the 40"x 66" (when I want to fly like a bird on a windy day)!

The latter ones I got the latter reflectors via eBay in one of those life-lesson deals (see below). An amazing price per item -- a deadly screw job on shipping! No worries though, I like them and have learned to pay attention to the fine print ... hehehe

Dave

5-in-1 36x48" Reflectors $17
5-in-1 36x48" Reflectors $17
5-in-1 40x66" Reflectors $24

Subtotal $57

Shipping and handling $73.97!!!

Total $130.97

Old 05-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Thanks Dave. Shipping and handling=OUCH!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 05-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC
Thanks Dave. Shipping and handling=OUCH!
Oh definitely! LOL

The trick was, they noted that shipping for one would be $25 but that you could group additional items to cut down on cost. Unfortunately I missed the fine print that explained ...

"The way we combine Shipping: 1<SUP>st</SUP> highest shipping cost will be same, 2<SUP>nd</SUP> item reduce $1 from shipping fee, 3<SUP>rd</SUP> reduce $2 from shipping fee, 4<SUP>th</SUP> reduce $3 from shipping fee. If you buy more than 5 total will save you up to $10 on shipping fee."

... even so, at the end of the day, I decided I got three good reflector at essentially $43.61 a pop, so it wasn't like I was totally screwed ... plus I learned a nice lesson in the process -- that counted for an extra .04 cents or so.

Have fun with the 20D!

Dave