Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Background Light Blues
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.223.150.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had a 4 light setup the other day for portraiture. (mail,fill,hair,BG) The issue I have ran into both times I have tried a 4 light setup is the BG light not showing up at all. Reguardless if it's turned on full power with a bare bulb or completely off. The BG looks exactly the same in both instances. I have the exposure of the hair, fill and main right where they need to be.

So, what's up with the BG light? I'm shooting in a very small room and I'm figuring that even with my main and fill down almost to the lowest settings, it's still too much power. Would I be correct?

-joshua

(this below image has a noticable BG light, but I was in a very long room which leads me to believe I'm simply working in too small of an area)

View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Re: Background Light Blues
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.232.210.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What does your meter tell you? I.e., do you meter the lights individually?

Old 05-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46091
Comments: 0
My Mood:

GCook is offline IP: 209.222.61.232

I'm no expert but...

I think your lighting is fine, except I would turn the hairlight up 1/2 a stop or more.

If you make a shot in a shower and it works that's not too small of a space.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GCook Visit GCook's homepage! Find More Posts by GCook

Old 05-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.100.117

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscato_images
I had a 4 light setup the other day for portraiture. (mail,fill,hair,BG) The issue I have ran into both times I have tried a 4 light setup is the BG light not showing up at all. Reguardless if it's turned on full power with a bare bulb or completely off. The BG looks exactly the same in both instances. I have the exposure of the hair, fill and main right where they need to be.

So, what's up with the BG light? I'm shooting in a very small room and I'm figuring that even with my main and fill down almost to the lowest settings, it's still too much power. Would I be correct?
You're most likely seeing spill onto the background from your other lights. With a bigger room you can put enough distance between your model and the background so that your main, fill, and hair lights don't light the BG too (The inverse-square law is your friend, here). The best way to tell for sure is to use a flash-enabled spot meter and meter directly off of the background as you add each of your lights. Move the model out of the way and start by metering the BG light reflected off of the BG. Add each light one at a time, take a meter reading, and see what happens to your exposure. You'll then know which light is affecting your lighting solution.

If you just want to know if your BG light is having any effect, take a meter reading of the BG with all 4 lights, then turn off the BG light and meter again. If the exposure doesn't change then you know that your BG light isn't doing anything for you.

If you don't have a flash-enabled spot meter, you can take an incident flash meter reading right at the background. Use the same procedure. Hold your meter against the background at same height as you would if you were metering your model. Start with the BG light and then add the others one at a time to see which ones are lighting your background.

Grids (for your bare heads), fabric grids (for your softboxes), and flags can help you here by keeping light out of the areas where it's not wanted.

-Chip

Old 05-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.238.168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBulgin
You're most likely seeing spill onto the background from your other lights. With a bigger room you can put enough distance between your model and the background so that your main, fill, and hair lights don't light the BG too (The inverse-square law is your friend, here). The best way to tell for sure is to use a flash-enabled spot meter and meter directly off of the background as you add each of your lights. Move the model out of the way and start by metering the BG light reflected off of the BG. Add each light one at a time, take a meter reading, and see what happens to your exposure. You'll then know which light is affecting your lighting solution.

If you just want to know if your BG light is having any effect, take a meter reading of the BG with all 4 lights, then turn off the BG light and meter again. If the exposure doesn't change then you know that your BG light isn't doing anything for you.

If you don't have a flash-enabled spot meter, you can take an incident flash meter reading right at the background. Use the same procedure. Hold your meter against the background at same height as you would if you were metering your model. Start with the BG light and then add the others one at a time to see which ones are lighting your background.

Grids (for your bare heads), fabric grids (for your softboxes), and flags can help you here by keeping light out of the areas where it's not wanted.

-Chip
Thank you for the walk through. That is all simple and I was only making it too difficult. The issue layed in that my main and fill had variable adjustments on the back, and my hair and BG had the FULL,1/2,1/4 switches and I had trouble using them together. I see by your walk through it doesn't matter much so as long as I meter and re-meter the BG and then make changes. I found at the shoot (which came out nice BTW) that I have 3 tons of light spill. I use alien bee lights and the AB softbox has no option to attach a grid. (too bad I learned about grids after I bought them). It's something I have been wanting to make soon.

Thank you for all of your replys and thank you Chip for the walk through, it's what I was looking for.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 05-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46091
My Mood:

GCook is offline IP: 209.222.51.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCook
I'm no expert but...
I think your lighting is fine, except I would turn the hairlight up 1/2 a stop or more.
If you make a shot in a shower and it works that's not too small of a space.
Aha. I see you don't actually have a hairlight in this shot. Oh well, you shouldn't turn up your main.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GCook Visit GCook's homepage! Find More Posts by GCook