Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The flood...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35558
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to johne

johne is offline IP: 207.137.21.111

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Last weekend, we decided to finally try a "wet" shot with a model in the studio. While I know its cliche, we've never done it and wanted to try and see what it was like and to really get to play with lights and water.

We had done several other outfits and setups with the model DiLona and decided we would save the water shot for last studio shot, just because of the effort required to set it up and tear it all down. When I set up the studio for the shot (see the behind the scenes shot below), I used a huge sheet of plastic to create a plastic waterproof cave or tunnel (all the way around, floor to ceiling.) We hooked up the hose to the utility sink so we could use warm water and not freeze the model (we also turned on the heater in the studio.) The shoot itself went fairly well until the room and the camera fogged/steamed up. No problem... we turned off the heater and vented the room and the rest of the shots went fine.

Now somehow I (the genius in me) had the crazy idea that we really wouldn't use all that much water and it shouldn't be too much of a problem to grab the 4 corners of the plastic, fold it all together like a big baggie, pull down the plastic from the ceiling and then just wrestle the whole thing out the back door just a few feet away so the water could drain away into the bushes.

Therein lied the flaw in my plan. About 3-4 inches of water had accumulated in the little plastic pool (which is approx. 12 ft by 12 ft.) When I moved around the back of the set, I bumped (yes bumped) the tube that had formed the back support of the pool...and... it collapsed... and the rest was a hectic scene that should have been captured for Funniest Home Videos. To some it up, there was NOTHING we could do to stop the flood in the studio.

In the end, it took about 4 hours of vaccuming to get most of the water up from the capetted floor and then 4 more days to dry out the carpeting and backdrop/side felt drapes.

Strangely, I now no longer have the desire to do any more in-studio water shots.

The resulting image (no, she was not mad) and the studio setup shot are attached below. ENJOY!

John

View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Re: The flood...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45345

jeandarnall is offline IP: 138.87.212.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

John just had a thought. What about using an inflatable pool in which the model could stand in? When you do empty the pool, perhaps you could use a wet/dry vacuum to remove most of the water before deflating it. As I said John, this was just a thought sir.
Best wishes,
Jean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeandarnall Find More Posts by jeandarnall

Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Yeah, people don't realize how DENSE water is. One of my favorite problems is to ask students to calculate the weight of water in a small aquarium - surprisingly large. Your 12x12x0.25 cubic feet of water weighed more than a 1 ton!

Nice shot - although I'd like to see a little more happiness in the model's expression, personally. Appreciate seeing the set, too.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 66.194.91.242

Well despite the problems at the end, the final product is incredibly nice...great work

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 05-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandarnall
John just had a thought. What about using an inflatable pool in which the model could stand in? When you do empty the pool, perhaps you could use a wet/dry vacuum to remove most of the water before deflating it. As I said John, this was just a thought sir.
Best wishes,
Jean
Thanks for the idea Jean. Yes, that would certainly work to contain at least 50% of the water. Good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
Yeah, people don't realize how DENSE water is. One of my favorite problems is to ask students to calculate the weight of water in a small aquarium - surprisingly large. Your 12x12x0.25 cubic feet of water weighed more than a 1 ton!
Nice shot - although I'd like to see a little more happiness in the model's expression, personally. Appreciate seeing the set, too.
Yep, I totally spaced and ignored the weight issues DUH! It was alot easier to move what was left outside, after most of the water ran through the studio. :-) And yes, I agree, her expression left something to be desired. I should have worked harder at getting a better expression during the shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_G
Well despite the problems at the end, the final product is incredibly nice...great work
Thanks BobbyG. I appreciate your comment.

Kind regards,
John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Old 05-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Having played with aquariums in my murky past, I can suggest a way out. Next time (if ever!) use a siphon to remove the water. Might take a while, but involves no lifting.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 05-19-2006, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39777
Send a message via Yahoo to AFox

AFox is offline IP: 68.61.109.222

I did a wet look shoot like this with a model (as the MUA) and we just put her in the bathtub. A little confined, but the shot came out good.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50040

Robear0001 is offline IP: 75.8.32.109

She may have not been mad, but I like the look anyway...and I wouldn't want to be the guy she was giving that expression too...what was the motovational statement that brought it on...I generally use,"what was the name of your first boyfriend"...

robear

Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
Having played with aquariums in my murky past, I can suggest a way out. Next time (if ever!) use a siphon to remove the water. Might take a while, but involves no lifting.
That is exactly the minimum that I should have done. We were not in a rush to get it done as it was the last shoot in the studio for this model. Interestingly, it wouldn't have prevented the disaster (I use the term lightly), since the cause of the flood was me distrubing the back support causing the water to breech the plastic rim. Sigh. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFox
I did a wet look shoot like this with a model (as the MUA) and we just put her in the bathtub. A little confined, but the shot came out good.
Interesting solution... the bathtub. Unfortunately, my wife would have my head if I tried to do that in the bathroom. Yikes! While we have totally converted the 3 car garage to a studio, we use the backyard, pool and spa for shoots and took over one complete room for post-processing and business... she puts her foot down with use of other parts of the house. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear0001
She may have not been mad, but I like the look anyway...and I wouldn't want to be the guy she was giving that expression too...what was the motovational statement that brought it on...I generally use,"what was the name of your first boyfriend"...
robear
Love your comment. DiLona had a bit of trouble varying her facial expressions. We were trying to coax her into different expressions. She did mention that that was one of her difficulties that she was working. In a nutshell though... I need to learn how to do a better job of motiviating the model.

Kind regards,
John

Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

wow! i'm impressed you even attempted this kind of a shot in such a small studio space! i've considered doing some water stuff a bunch of times but laziness and/or paranoia over all that can go wrong usually sets in, i.e., whatever can wrong, will... and all that.

btw, i also have the same mola dish. what kind of boom arm is your's hung from? also, do you really see any practical advantages of the bowens wind machine (given the cost of one) over using a household fan? i know you can more accurately direct the air flow but i have this $50 shop fan made by Stanley that allows fairly precise control of the air.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd