Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Using beauty dish only VS using umbrella & fill for Paramount (butterfly) lighting
Old 05-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52353
Comments: 0

Barney David is offline IP: 24.251.222.176

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When shooting for glamor type portrait, I usually use Paramount (butterfly) lighting. Umbrella (key) with Softbox (fill).

However I just bought a beauty dish and was wondering if a fill is needed while using the beauty dish?

Thanks!

Re: Using beauty dish only VS using umbrella & fill for Paramount (butterfly) lighting
Old 05-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36274

mrkahnman is offline IP: 64.12.117.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I personally do not own a beauty dish, but from what I understand, it works great as a key light, giving you round catchlights, and more directional key shadows. I would still suggest a large soft box for gentle fill. Good luck my brother, and happy shooting!

mrkahnman (keeping digital alive)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mrkahnman Find More Posts by mrkahnman

Re: Using beauty dish only VS using umbrella & fill for Paramount (butterfly) lightin
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.27.65.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney David
When shooting for glamor type portrait, I usually use Paramount (butterfly) lighting. Umbrella (key) with Softbox (fill).

However I just bought a beauty dish and was wondering if a fill is needed while using the beauty dish?

Thanks!
What people are calling a "beauty dish" (which to me-does not create beauty), I call a
pan-head reflector. The dish itself is just another light source. How you use it is up to you.
Of course a fill light will be needed if you have areas of an image that is not getting the
light exposure you want. I have a 12, 15, 17, 21, and 30 inch pan-head reflector.

I've used them with other kinds of light modifiers - depending on the properties I am looking
for in a particular photo. Use the tools at your disposal to get the results you want.

Light is light is light is light. It's how you master it's properties that determines the outcome.

Example:
I had a client set-up a photoshoot in a photo-studio. The client ( had booked only
bare-bulbs with 6-inch reflectors) did not know anything about studio lighting but
wanted to make all the command decisions.

Now, of course the image required soft light sources. Well, we had no umbrellas.
So instead of the light sources being 20 feet away from the subject, I just powered
them down and brought them within three feet of the subject.

The Lesson? The closer the light source is to the subject, the softer the light.

The larger the source to the subject, the softer the light.

Re: Using beauty dish only VS using umbrella & fill for Paramount (butterfly) lightin
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64247

mcjohnruther is offline IP: 122.252.252.37

So which beauty dish would you recommend for my Lumynine and Quantum. I have a Photoflex adaptor for a Bowens soft box that fits both my Lumy and Qflash. However, it is a question of making it secure like Bruce says........ There is a clamp on my Lumy but I dont think it is strong enough.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.56.201.154

You don't need no steenkeeng fill light with a beauty dish, pan head, salad bowl, whatever you wanna call it. You screw up the look of it!

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64045

mel_unruh is offline IP: 70.136.39.173

I'm curious about the whole "Beauty Dish" thing. It seems that this type of modifier would produce a harsher, highly directional type of light as opposed to a softer light such as a softbox. Wouldn't you get a similar effect by simply removing the front diffuser panel (leave the interior baffle in place) from a softbox? I have used this a couple of times with good effect.

Mel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mel_unruh Find More Posts by mel_unruh

Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 99.56.201.154

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_unruh View Post
I'm curious about the whole "Beauty Dish" thing. It seems that this type of modifier would produce a harsher, highly directional type of light as opposed to a softer light such as a softbox. Wouldn't you get a similar effect by simply removing the front diffuser panel (leave the interior baffle in place) from a softbox? I have used this a couple of times with good effect.

Mel
I don't know about other BDs but my Mola creates a fairly distinctive look, providing it's kept in fairly close: Soft, creamy, and has a nice wrap-around effect. I never put the front silk baffle on it as, IMO, it ruins the look and simply becomes another soft box.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd