Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Thanks for the new site, Rolando
Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284
Comments: 0

icuphotography is offline IP: 68.12.209.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I really like the new site. I realize it is a work in progress between flying around the country for workshops and such. And a lot of hard work you are doing all yourself.

I wish everyone would ease up a bit and voice their suggestions and wait for them to be implimented. Some things will stick, some won't. But for a site that is free at its a very useful level it is very damn good. I just wish everyone could get along politely and remember that just because the Internet is essentially anonymous there are real people at each end of these computers.

So thanks for the hard work and I look forward to each and every change and improvement.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Re: Thanks for the new site, Rolando
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.226.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know a number of people like the new site and that'sa good thing, but personally I do not. I'm a photographer not a computer guy and I find the new 'G1' to be not user friendly, not intuitive, unattractive to the eye overly complex and disorganized. Growing pains are understandable, but it's been around for a while and but not much seems to be happening. For example, I just clicked on the "Top 100" and there are only three sites there, with one listed twice. There seems to be some sort of vote, but this old fart couldn't find any info about voting or what we would be voting for. I also found a "Link Exchange" at the top, and noted I have had links to GG on my site for a number of years and changed it to G1 after the change, but I don't seem to have a return link any more, at least it is not shown there.

I've been a member and supporter pretty much from the GG origins, but I have to be honest, I find this new forum to be an unpleasant challenge. At my age, I don't need new challenges. For the past several years, almost all of my work has been pretty serious artistic nude, but I can no longer show them on the main forum. Instead my work is relagated to a secondary board which gets a fraction if the views of the main board.

To be honest, I don't know how much longer I'll continue to be active on this new forum.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

To be fair, I believe nudes can be seen by any registered user and registration is free. I think the idea was to discourage kids and the religiously perverse from 'stumbling' into our nudes even though they are artistic and certainly not purient.
BTW, I really like the black and whites in your portfolio. Would you mind sharing the lighting setups with me? Distance to background? Paper or velvet? I am guessing one light but that may just be the artfulness of the setup. I am still struggling to get my home studio usable. It is just too small but it is the only space I can free up right now. Thinking about buying one of those rail systems to free up the floor space.
I know the changes are bit daunting but since Rolando is doing it all himself I am sort of amazed it is working as well as it does. No slight on Rolando but I think of this kind of website building as a profession in itself. I think he had to fire his programmer at the first of the year for some reason. Not good timing considering the book thing and all the new workshops. I joked with him that he is going to need to wear a name tag at home that says 'I am your father and my name is ______.' LOL
I do miss the volume of traffic though which still seems to be down.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 05-11-2006, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 67.176.10.241

Doc,
I agree with you. This is still a work in progress, and some people just aren't going to be happy. I spoke with Rolando yesterday on a couple of matters and we discussed the site, which is actually receiving a much higher volume than the old one.
Yeah, it's different, and yeah it is going to take some getting used to, but it is growing on me. One big difference, (and it just occurred to me why everyone thinks traffic is down) is that replies and comments are organized in a thread. We no longer have go back after each indiviual answer, which makes it appear as if there are fewer posts.
G1 is a great tool. I really value the input and expertise of Rolando, JT, Jimmy and the rest. I try to put into place the things that talked about and discussed and to learn and improve my own work. Rolando has put himself out there for us, and at a time when his career is breaking out. G1 and this community are a part of that. He could have let down his attention to the site and this community, but he hasn't.
Let's all take a deep breathe here and give it a chance. At the end of the day I think this will be a better site, and a better community than GG was. If the site does not, then I am confident a change will be made. We are far from that point and getting further away everyday.
Let me add my thanks to Rolando for all the effort and hard work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 05-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.226.155

As for my lighting set up, assuming you mean the low key stuff, it's really pretty simple. As you guessed, one light with a softbox, a snoot, grid or barn doors, depending on the specifics of the individual shot. The models are usually four to five feet from a black paper background, frequently with a gobo to keep light away from the background. In the forground, I either use the black paper, one of several black fabrics or just the hardwood floor. The 'secret' is precise placement of the light and shadow on the model, an inch can make a significant difference. It's routine for me to have the model move slightly forward and backward and turn from left to right whhile I watch what happens to the light and shadow and how it rreacts to the torso. But the major secret, no two torsos are the same and different skin reflects light differently!, that's major. When learning this technique, it very helpful to dim or even turn off ambient room light so the shadows can be seen more clearly. Meter the highlights!!!!!
As you can see in the attached, a lot of room isn't really necessary.

To show the light set up, I had the model move forward about a half step to get more light on her back.

Re: Doug Lester, I wish you wouln NOT leave this forum
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.167.91.245

Doug, you have some much to contribute to this forum, your vast experience in fine art makes me feel like you're a walking fine art encycleopedia. I tried fine art genre only about two years ago and I'm still learning. There may have been times when we have misunderstood each other on another forum, but so what. I respect you and your work. As far as wanting to leave this forum think of it this way, if you were with the same woman for a very long time most likely you learned so much about her that the two of you are one and you know each other's needs, strenghths and weakness so you you compensate and compliment to make the relationship work. Now let's say that your lady is taken away by forces beyond your control and you know she will never be back. One day another lady comes to your life who is younger, capricious and beatiful, you can't resist her. You take her for a test drive with mixed results, you liked the feeling you get, but there are many complexities in her personality that you have not yet figured out how to deal with. I hope you would not leave her, but learn how to deal with her personality traits to benefit from the good feelings you get by being with her. This forum is young and at times capricious and temperemental, but at the same time offers a lot of resources so we all grow with it. Don't you agree with me?

Jill V of Arizona is locally called the Sun Diva, I really enjoyed working with this model.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 05-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

I have to agree with Doug on this one. I think he described it perfectly. used to be that this site was my opening page where there was always something going on. I suppose there still is but I'll be darned if I can find it. . . .and I like to think I'm at least conversent with computers. This place is not friendly at all! the designers forgot two rules in working with the general public: KISS and if it ain't broke don't fixit. I worked for the Air Force for years as an electronic tech and to repair some of the stuff we had to create special interfaces that allowed us to hook up with the myriad devises we were asked to fix. These things we called kluge boxes and they looked like the word sounded, ugly, cheap with no sophistication or polish. That is exactly how I view what has been done here. I have no idea what is going on in the guts of the machine nor does it matter. It's the kluge box that runs it that leaves way too much to be desired. Since I have no idea what else is going on here I can only judge by what I see (which is the first two or three pages) and if they are any indication participation is way down. I used to say I'm only here for the purdy pictures, but I can't hardy find them anymore.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for showing your setups and the advice Doug.

I ordered a small rail system so I can at least not trip over cables. and kill myself or the model. I think the space I am trying to use is a bit smaller than yours but your point is well taken about the space you need.

Your example is a very good one on how a bit of movement by the model can completely change the light on her body. Thank you for that.

As far as the site goes, I guess having built a few websites myself I know how difficult and tedious it is especially when you have a large and diverse user base. I think most complaints seem to center around the front end because Rolando is not participating as much as he once did. I know I miss his G-Spot blog. I think maybe we need to suggest to him that he beef up the latest threads area, add in a new blog so we can keep tabs on him and hear his latest stories, and change the images of the day so they show more current work. What do you think?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.240.236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Lester
I've been a member and supporter pretty much from the GG origins, but I have to be honest, I find this new forum to be an unpleasant challenge. At my age, I don't need new challenges. To be honest, I don't know how much longer I'll continue to be active on this new forum.
I felt the same way at first Doug, but my wife actually put it into perspective for me. She reminded me that switching from film to digital was a very difficult transition for me. She also reminded me that when I did I jumped about three notches in camera level (Canon Elan IIe to Canon Elan ID) and that I cursed myself for weeks. In the end, both were very good decisions and have opened some doors that I haven't fully utilized yet. I fear change, but it makes us look at things differently and uncovers new ways of doing things.

The new site is only 4 months old, don't give up yet. I'd hate to think that we were going to lose your work. If nothing else, take 30 days off and come back when a few more changes have been implemented.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.196.191

Doc,

Some good ideas, while I'm not posting as much, if I can find an internet connection, even with a hamster wheel to generate juice, I am looking more than most people think.

I just returned from Phoenix where I actually was logged on via satellite, though I had no cell phone--boy, don't you love technology.

On another note, I think what is real important here is qaulity, not quantity. I will make a separate post...thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez