Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How do you light a romantic theme ?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been working on this for 2 weeks and I am getting no place. I have a model that is looking for images of her in a romantic ligerie theme.. This is so far out of what I have been doing I just can't get it right. Do I just use one hot light to light the scene ? Please give me so help if you can..I'm all ears..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: How do you light a romantic theme ?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just wanted to add that the location will be in a hotel suite...

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.84.85

Just guessing but try the shade setting on digital or a warming filter

no direct flash ( even umbrellas pointed towards the ceiling ?? )

Do NOT white balance the incandecent lights ( might need tripod and higher ISO setting )

shoot normally and then color it in photoshop

I just thought I would throw some ideas out there , maybe someone else will say it's wrong and give you more options
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 05-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo
I have been working on this for 2 weeks and I am getting no place. I have a model that is looking for images of her in a romantic ligerie theme.. This is so far out of what I have been doing I just can't get it right. Do I just use one hot light to light the scene ? Please give me so help if you can..I'm all ears..

Mike
Mike,

What you don't want to do is broadcast the light all over the place. This is how hotel rooms look like cheap hotel rooms even if you are in a suite. What you need to do is narrow down your light sources to create nice depth with shadows or light fall off, etc.

You can do this by flagging the light if you are using a large soft box. Flag meaning you are simply blocking the light from scattering where you don't want it. A lot of photographers will use strip domes for main lights to narrow the path of light just to strike the model and have the light fall off. If you don't have strip domes, but have a soft box you can make a strip dome by attaching strips of cardboard over the front of a soft box to make a narrow rectangle light source. You can also use leuvers(spell) or a fabric grid over the front of your soft box to narrow down the light.

Grids work well for hair light and rim lighting. 10 or 20 degree grids. This will control the light to specific points and not broadcast it.

In order to create romantic, most people think candle light and with candle light you don't see a lot of light. It's nice and warm and it glows but the light is not flat all over the place. Think in these terms and you will achieve some romantic lighting by thinking pleasing shadows instead of pleasing light.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45874

GKruts is offline IP: 24.55.106.200

Wow! I picked the right time to cruise back for some reading. Great question and awesome answer, JT. I'd always wondered about the strips on my softbox. I guess I know what my next experiments will be about. =)

Cheers!
Glenn K.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GKruts Visit GKruts's homepage! Find More Posts by GKruts

Old 05-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKruts
Wow! I picked the right time to cruise back for some reading. Great question and awesome answer, JT. I'd always wondered about the strips on my softbox. I guess I know what my next experiments will be about. =)

Cheers!
Glenn K.
Even better yet you could use black fabric and velcro to attach blinds to the front of your soft box to make a strip dome. Photoflex can come with a front panel already made like this.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45874

GKruts is offline IP: 24.55.106.200

Picked up an Amvona 36" x 24" for a song, it came with a pair of strips, a grid and a reducing window, all velcro and nylon. I just need to get the Bee adaptor ring so I can use the darn thing.

Cheers!
Glenn K.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GKruts Visit GKruts's homepage! Find More Posts by GKruts

Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith
Even better yet you could use black fabric and velcro to attach blinds to the front of your soft box to make a strip dome. Photoflex can come with a front panel already made like this.

J T

I have thought about doing that . I am unsure how much light to put on the model as in area . And how dark the room should be.

Mike

Old 05-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52256
Send a message via AIM to andyuk Send a message via MSN to andyuk

andyuk is offline IP: 172.212.231.160

I would use a warm filter too, try and get a glow on the skin too,
candle lights. and so cheats with photoshop cs2
http://www.drewspixs.co.uk/phpbb/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to andyuk Visit andyuk's homepage! Find More Posts by andyuk

Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo
I have thought about doing that . I am unsure how much light to put on the model as in area . And how dark the room should be.
Mike
Most romantic sets use light and shadow as mentioned. Many sets have several lights and some brag on using up to 40 or so lights. Many of them with various degree grids putting specular light just where they want it. The subject and the background. These lights and shadows give depth to the image.

Do me a favor? Study candle light. Light some candles and place them in various places around the room. Meditate and study. Move them around and meditate and study. Look at light, look at the midtones and look at the shadows. Now read the light, read the midtones and read the shadows.

You are thinking in your head and not playing enough......now go play. Find a stuffed animal if you have to. Practice in your bedroom, living room, etc.... wax on wax off......

J T