Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Amazon.com & Book Cover, 4-those asking...
Old 05-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.198.210

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some folks have inquired about my upcoming book release, Garage Glamour™ : Digital Nude and Beauty Photography Made Simple so I wanted to set the record straight since I've seen some misinformation.

First, the book cover did not change. Amazon.com somehow put the inside page as the display cover on their website--they have been alerted by the publisher and Amazon.com has put it on their list to change--we're at their mercy. The cover is the one below that features the headshot of April 2006 Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough. Yes, this image is from the shoot I sent to Playboy for her Playmate consideration--I own the image.

Second, when we received the advanced copies of the book at WPPI where Holley and I signed books in Las Vegas last month--I was not happy with the cover. In the book publishing business you "sign-off" on a "contract proof" provided by the printer. I signed off on a beautiful, exact color proof of what I shot, the printer goofed, the publisher agreed, so the book is being reprinted correctly and is delayed for shipment for about 4-6 weeks from this post.

Because this is a photography book, my first, and features a beauty image and a beautiful model (Playmate) with her first book cover, I insisted the book be printed properly. The publisher agreed. This is not the publisher's fault--FYI.

Yes, this will delay the book and even rolaty payments to me, but the importance is that it be done right--if this was a book on how to put a computer together, it probably would have been acceptable and the first printing would be off-color and the second-printing corrected. But this is photography, color is important.

Now, Samy's camera did purchase two cases, 48-books, and about another two cases were sold at WPPI because these were rock-solid commitments. I hear Samy's has a few left--ugh, if Holley makes her singing career like she's doing so far, perhaps the value of these books will go up? Don't know, but I do know that less than 120 will have covers slightly off color, but acceptable. (So call Samy's if you want one in LA).

The majority of the photos in the book are mine, but work from DK (Dennis Keim), George Stumberg, Michael Dean (a G1 owner), Gordon Jones (from the Virgin Islands workshop), and many, many more G1 photographers and models are featured! Even two Playboy Playmates are featured in the book along with several Playboy Special Editions models! The book is approximately 30,000 words of great information and the first of a series of books to follow.

Stay-tuned for updates and book two information coming soon! Thanks, rg sends! (actual book cover below)
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Amazon.com & Book Cover, 4-those asking...
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've always been amazed at how often this problem with book printers seem to happen. They send you a beautiful contract proof copy and you sign off, and then the end result has some obvious problem that was not in the printer's proof copy. In my experience, it seems to happen about half the time. And because of time constraints, etc, it is often a giant pain to get a reprint made and so sometimes you take the bad print run just to avoid the hassle. So I sympathise with what you're going through.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43686
Comments: 0

raremedium is offline IP: 80.132.90.81

Waiting since january.......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to raremedium Find More Posts by raremedium

Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52613

dpbeeler is offline IP: 66.32.246.111

Barnes and Noble says out of print. Pub date May 28 confirmed by Broaders. What is it this time?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dpbeeler Find More Posts by dpbeeler

Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.152.44

As the original post indicates, the book was delayed due to the printer's error of the color of the cover, the book will be released. Order from the front of G1 by going to the Amazon.com link, this preorders it. There are a few copies available from Samys.com that they actually have on hand, though the cover is slightly off-color. Those were prereleased. I hope that helps, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52053

newguru is offline IP: 71.56.183.232

Book update?

First post said 4-6 weeks delay due to the cover color issues. It's been over 2 months now since the initial post.

Do we have a solid date yet Amazon will have it available?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to newguru Find More Posts by newguru

Any chance of G1 Shipping?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.153.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguru
Book update?
First post said 4-6 weeks delay due to the cover color issues. It's been over 2 months now since the initial post.
Do we have a solid date yet Amazon will have it available?
If you see this Rolando, is there ANY chance that the G1 braintrust might find a way to ship out a first batch of these things? I'm sure Amazon wouldn't be thrilled, but they really don't seem to have a clue.

I'd gladly give up my free shipping to actually get the book.

Book Update
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.158.159

Book update:--I received my single copy last Friday in the mail from the publisher. I've been told the books arrive today at Amherst and the various (distro) wharehouses and start shipping shortly thereafter. They are hitting store shelves sometime next week.

Samy's Camera in Los Angeles may still have some on the shelves from the one that the cover was slightly off color if you want one. You can click on the link of Samy's banner on the front of G1.

For those attending the Chicago workshop, I'm trying to get a case shipped there, so far, all looks good. More to come, but finally, thanks, rg.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40224
Send a message via AIM to bpittam Send a message via Skype™ to bpittam

bpittam is offline IP: 69.136.73.228

I had pre-ordered my book back in March, so now I just have to wait for Amazon to notice my order. Thanks Rolando for this publication.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bpittam Visit bpittam's homepage! Find More Posts by bpittam

Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.246.28

<p>When I spoke with Kathryn at Amherst last week, she thought the books may hit the stores late this week. Things can always change, but that's the last I heard. I've been checking B&N and Borders off and on for it, no sightings just yet. It's on the way folks.</p><p>
Keep shooting,
Alan B.

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy