Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Mamiya is closing up shop
Old 04-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just read that Mamiya is selling it's camera business for less than $1 million to a digital imaging company with only two employees. It looks like current employees will migrate to the new company in order to handle service and support of current products, but that R&D is essentially kaput.

You can read the details here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1145628753.html

I'm guessing this means you'll never see the 22MP ZD in this country.

-Chip

Re: Mamiya is closing up shop
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 68.212.161.216

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yikes !! Less than a million ?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.253.35

Son of a b*tch. Another victim of the digital age. And I was looking into getting an RB67, too. Well, I'm still gonna get one (eventually), guess I just can't look forward to anything new for it, just like Contax...

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44504
Send a message via MSN to ModiX

ModiX is offline IP: 81.226.58.99

OMG! This is unbelievable! :O
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ModiX Visit ModiX's homepage! Find More Posts by ModiX

Old 04-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Of all the cameras I have ever owned my favorite was the Bronica ETRs. A close second was my RB67 which I purchased used (it was about 5 years old at that time I think) and I am still using 12 years later. Those cameras pretty well maintained their value. I don't think I can say quite the same of my D30 and 20D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 04-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35428

Wade is offline IP: 64.12.117.11

I love my RB, but I rarely use it any more. Maybe I should pull it out more often.

The enemy of photography is the convention, the fixed rules of 'how to do'. The salvation of photography comes from the experiment. -Anonymous
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wade Visit Wade's homepage! Find More Posts by Wade

Old 04-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBulgin
Just read that Mamiya is selling it's camera business for less than $1 million to a digital imaging company with only two employees. It looks like current employees will migrate to the new company in order to handle service and support of current products, but that R&D is essentially kaput.

You can read the details here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1145628753.html

I'm guessing this means you'll never see the 22MP ZD in this country.

-Chip
It's sad for me as I grew up on Mamiya and watching them move into digital. They missed the boat and anyone in this business that has died, missed the boat too.

My guess is it's not the end of Mamiya. It's just the end of Mamiya as we knew them. BTW, the masses don't need a 22 mega anything. Spending all that money to get there thinking bigger is better seems like it cost them.

Just a hunch but since Mamiya did the dirty work and this new company is known for business, my guess would be look out and continue to watch. I would think and it sounds like the low dollar sale here is because of debt sinking Mamiya. Insiders might make my hunch wrong but I would think anyone buying out something is going to do something to mass market or at least try too. So my first reaction is hang on. The name might change but if you can get a medium format digital to market for just above going slr rates you might be on to something. Of course I may not know what I am talking about either.

Anyway, I said this before but watch a huge push in about a year to have the camera companies start pushing the latest and greatest lenses. It's going to be a huge war in my opinion. The digital SLR is here and it's what many of us have been waiting for. The problem is, how big of file do we actually need? The digital SLR's gave us and continue to give us all we need and Mamiya missed it and didn't think.

JT
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith
My guess is it's not the end of Mamiya. It's just the end of Mamiya as we knew them. BTW, the masses don't need a 22 mega anything. Spending all that money to get there thinking bigger is better seems like it cost them.
JT
you're right in practical terms. but it's not always about practicality. sometimes it's about image. (no, not images, but image as in the image of the photographer--as a photographer--as percieved by others, mainly clients.)

when i used to do a lot of editing (video) it was all about guys who cut with an AVID vs. guys who didn't. AVID was considered, in the eyes of clients, as the be-all/end-all of non-linear editing systems. if you interviewed for a gig, one of the first questions was, "do you own an AVID?" (this was not too long ago and when an AVID Media Composer digital non-linear editing system cost about $85 thousand dollars... i co-owned two such systems.)

i think photography is sometimes similar in that there are clients who judge you--to some extent--by your gear. if i'm wielding a medium-format digital, there are clients who will be more impressed with that than my work.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
Last edited by jimmyd; 04-27-2006 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Well that's true but look at vhs vs beta

anyway, not argueing your point, well received, however we are talking about a little different situation here. You pointed out a post production tool. Did they ask what cameras you were shooting the stuff with? No, they probably asked do you shoot Beta? Put a bazooka lens on a slr and you got your image you are talking about.

We got to a certain point that at the time Mamiya was on to something, technology got faster and cheaper and yet continued to give us quality files to work with and Mamiya appears got caught up in the middle. Portrait shooters could and still does get by with an slr, photoshop and interpolition programs. You can't justify 12,000 when an S1 can still be used to produce a 40x60 flawless print with interpolotion and buy one for 250 dollars.

Just yappin with ya......

jt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 04-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.253.35

Dman and Wade -- I tried the RB for the first time not too long ago, and fell in love with it (I think it was the revolving back ). It was really fun to shoot, and my first time seeing a 6x7 chrome, which was pretty sweet, too. Who knows, maybe JT's right and Mamiya's equipment isn't completely gone for good...

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley