Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
why do we do this thing called photography
Old 04-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50485
Comments: 0

mhagan is offline IP: 68.34.163.82

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I make a very good portion of my income from photography, mostly weddings and teaching night classes. I love doing both aspects of my photography.
My question is:
Other then to make money, why would you spend so much time creating images and what do what do you do with all of the images?
I'm not trying to be a smart AZZ, I'm really interested. I would love to pick up my camera and go take a bunch of images but I do not see the point of it. Unless I'm given a reason to make images I don't. However when I have a job to do I try my very best to be as artistic and creative as I possibly can.
I don't know, maybe when I'm not working the last thing I wnat to do is pick up a camera.
Then again I love being a photographer, I love my clients, I love the final product and makeing people happy (most of my clients are)!?!?!?!?
Mike

Easier said then done!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhagan Visit mhagan's homepage! Find More Posts by mhagan

Re: why do we do this thing called photography
Old 04-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.228.194

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I guess for some saying photography's a creative outlet is enough reason to go out and shoot images for no real "purpose," and that's one reason I do it, too. But at the same time, I do also understand where you're coming from, which is one reason I've been shying away from glamour lately. Lately I've been thinking to myself "What am I really gonna DO with these images, anyway?" This is why I've been leaning more towards fashion these days.

But just because I'm looking into fashion work as a possible means of income doesn't mean I won't pick up my camera otherwise to shoot anything that captures my attention. I'm sure there are times when you feel the same way as well.

Even if you don't make money from it, sometimes artists just need to create art. At least that's my take on it.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

i gotta go with what sam said about a creative outlet. i make all my living with cameras in my hands. and yet i still shoot plenty of stuff that puts no green in my pocket. and it's those times i get to try out stuff that i usually won't try out when i'm shooting on someone else's dime or just stuff that interests me and no one's going to pay me to shoot it.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Why? Why not?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Art
Film Dinosaur

Member GG#: 35716

Art is offline IP: 69.37.100.131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagan
I'm not trying to be a smart AZZ, I'm really interested. I would love to pick up my camera and go take a bunch of images but I do not see the point of it. Unless I'm given a reason to make images I don't. However when I have a job to do I try my very best to be as artistic and creative as I possibly can.
Good question Mike.

Unlike you, I spend a good portion of my income on photography. So why do I do that? I don't know - 'cause I can, it's enjoyable in itself, it's socialble, it's one of several creative outlets.

I use to say it was a departure from my career. But that sounds like I don't enjoy my career, which is not the case. I love my job. So for me it's like any other hobby. Why do I ski? Go fishing? Travel? etc... I just like doing all aspects of photography.

So where your motive requires a reason, mine doesn't. I understand that. Yours is a job, mine is a hobby. I'm also one of those types that doesn't need a reason to do something. So we all have diferent motivations.

Regards, Art.

I had a golfer try to explain why. . .
Old 04-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

he spent so many hours chasing a ball around the pasture trying to and eventually succeeding dropping them into gopher holes. My daughter who is an avid fisher person tried to explain her passion. Frankly it all seems like wasted time when they could be out taking pictures. But I figure if what they do doesn't make any better sense to me, no use trying to explain my passion to them. If you don't have that fire, it's kinda like some on this board wont to say "It's a Harley thing. . . (which falls in the the fish and white ball catagory as far as I'm concerned) . . .you wouldn't understand.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50597

Kevin May is offline IP: 204.42.26.150

The beauty of photography Mike is that it can be whatever you want it to be! I'm a commercial shooter and I love what I do and I will always love shooting business stuff until the day that I retire, but once I do retire, I'll be out shooting nature stuff. It's my real passion and something that I'd like to do when I'm retired. I want to shoot nature to get back to when photography was a hobby (as it was for most of us and why we got into it) and just do work to please myself and not a client!
The joy of photography is a very wonderful thing and maybe someday you'll find an area of it that will bring out your true passion. Continue to make money with it (it sure beats a "real" job) and maybe something someday will spark an interest outside of what you're doing now!
  View Public Profile Visit Kevin May's homepage! Find More Posts by Kevin May

Re: I had a golfer try to explain why. . .
Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.152.123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclesue
he spent so many hours chasing a ball around the pasture trying to and eventually succeeding dropping them into gopher holes. My daughter who is an avid fisher person tried to explain her passion. Frankly it all seems like wasted time when they could be out taking pictures. But I figure if what they do doesn't make any better sense to me, no use trying to explain my passion to them. If you don't have that fire, it's kinda like some on this board wont to say "It's a Harley thing. . . (which falls in the the fish and white ball catagory as far as I'm concerned) . . .you wouldn't understand.
I completely agree Sue...you can't expect to explain passion. You can share it with someone (take them fishing, golfing, shooting) but if they don't get infected then they'll never really get it.
Like Art mine is definitely still more of a hobby than a business, and the more I think about it the more I want to keep it that way. I don't want this to be the mealticket, because it can suck the passion out too quickly. I was a diehard cyclist in college, and then I went to work for a cycling company. Not any company, but in my opinion THE premier company in the industry with the msot cutting edge stuff. The more I worked there the more I loved the company and the people that I worked with. But soon the riding began to feel like a job component to me. When I left the company to start my own (non-cycling) company I left my bike on hooks in the garage for two years because I had no interest. It has come back, but it's never been like it was.
I love working photographers, and have a deep sense of respect for them. But on an individual basis I do occasionally worry that they will lose the passion and stop having fun and thereby stop producing great images. That's everyone's loss.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.238.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin May
awesome shot!
-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 04-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50597

Kevin May is offline IP: 204.42.26.150

Thanks Joshua, it's always fun to get out and do something that you love to do!
  View Public Profile Visit Kevin May's homepage! Find More Posts by Kevin May