Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Am I way off base. . .
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436
Comments: 0

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

(as usual) or do folks just like the nose and brow jewelry on their models. I've always thought the eyes were the main attraction but with all the stuff I see stuck in, on, and around the face my eye is drawn to the hardware and not the eyes. I suppose with some that might be a blessing but most of these models have great eyes. I guess I'm old school but I had a wart on my nose removed years ago and when I see this stuff that is just what I think of. I may be too chicken to ask the model to remove it but believe me it will get 'shopped before I let it go out the door.
I swear it looks like we're going to start binding feet like the old chinese did, or tieing boards to our infants heads like the mayans used to do, or stretching necks and inserting plugs in lips like some of the tribes of africa did, all in the name of beauty. Silly? You bet, but one wonders what our progeny is going to say when they look at some of the stuff we do today. . . in the name of beauty.

Re: Am I way off base. . .
Old 04-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.187.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclesue
(as usual) or do folks just like the nose and brow jewelry on their models. I've always thought the eyes were the main attraction but with all the stuff I see stuck in, on, and around the face my eye is drawn to the hardware and not the eyes. I suppose with some that might be a blessing but most of these models have great eyes. I guess I'm old school but I had a wart on my nose removed years ago and when I see this stuff that is just what I think of. I may be too chicken to ask the model to remove it but believe me it will get 'shopped before I let it go out the door.
I swear it looks like we're going to start binding feet like the old chinese did, or tieing boards to our infants heads like the mayans used to do, or stretching necks and inserting plugs in lips like some of the tribes of africa did, all in the name of beauty. Silly? You bet, but one wonders what our progeny is going to say when they look at some of the stuff we do today. . . in the name of beauty.
You and me both! I catch heck for making these comments, but....I think tattoo's jewlery attacked to the body is distracting and your right it draws your attention to the "art" not the girl.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.189.174

I totally agree. Granted I'm an old fart, but each time I see that facial jewelry my immediate response is what a shame. It's distracting in a photo and distracting in person. I've never seen any which I thought looked good or benefited a face in any way and have rejected a n umber of models because of it.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

Call me old fashioned...I've been called worse...but I really don't like anything besides pierced ears. I completely agree that it takes away from the natural beauty and intensity of the eyes and the natural curves of the face.

I've seen some amazing images that had these "added beauty marks", but in my opinion if it isn't naturally occurring I don't really want to see it.

We now return you to the 21st Century.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

it wasn't so many years ago--well, ok, maybe it was--that a fair amount of people might write something to the same effect about guys with exceptionally long hair. but do you now, in more recent years, give guys with long hair much of a second glance? i think that if and when trends like piercing and skin art becomes more and more commonplace and/or time goes by, we tend to just accept them--whether we like them or not--and not give them much of a second thought. it's all about personal expression, fads, culture, trends, and those sorts of things. some of them pass, some of them stick, but none of them are really much of a bid deal.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51515

David Knight is offline IP: 69.4.144.65

As a guy with long hair, I think jimmyd makes a good point. But I'm not a model. I think I've (finally) gotten used to women with piercings and tattoos, and while it's really not my taste, I don't notice it that much either, so no real problem there. The problem comes in when I want to do a shoot with a girl and I have a certain look in mind, and the model's piercings and tattoos go completely against my vision. It's kind of hard to shoot a girl looking "innocent" with a mural across her lower back or a chain hanging from out of her nose. For models, this is something that needs to be considered, and something that can ultimately affect their profitability.

-David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Knight Find More Posts by David Knight

Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knight
It's kind of hard to shoot a girl looking "innocent" with a mural across her lower back or a chain hanging from out of her nose. For models, this is something that needs to be considered, and something that can ultimately affect their profitability.

-David
all models can't be all things to all photographers. conversely, all photographers can't be all things to all models.

dang. i sound like greg davis.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51515

David Knight is offline IP: 69.4.144.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
all models can't be all things to all photographers. conversely, all photographers can't be all things to all models.

dang. i sound like greg davis.
LOL! Point taken.
-David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Knight Find More Posts by David Knight

Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. This is not how they choose to live their life style but rather how that lifestyle impinges on my ability to create the best image possible. There are probably less than 2% of the adult population that can be called truly photogenic. By that I mean they possess the face and form to create beauty images effortlessly. Glamour by definition is a kind of manipulation of reality to form a certain alluring or fascinating presence. By starting out with the best possible subject the manipulation is made much easier. As I’ve said before, in good glamour portraiture the centerpiece is usually the eyes. The job of the artist photographer is to make the trip to the eyes as effortless as possible and to make it desirable to return to the centerpiece. unfortunately sparklies on the face amout to shiny eyegrabbers. The pursuit today is to remove wrinkles and blemishes (warts and moles) or to camouflage them by covering or highlighting them and calling them “beauty marks.” I sometimes wonder how many women spend thousands to remove unsightly blems and then happily rivet their nose. If that’s what they want to do fine but if I need a model for project I’ll opt first by a long way for the all natural.
As an aside, I was looking at various model pages and happened on Liz Ashley from Texas. She has modest portfolio here on G1 but over on the “other” site she has a huge selection of about 150 images. She has some 120 Showcase images either on hers or other Photog pages and links to over 600 total images on that site alone. That’s got to be some kind of record. I truly wonder if she would have had that kind of demand if she weren’t tat and piercing free.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50763
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to silver tip images Send a message via Yahoo to silver tip images

silver tip images is offline IP: 24.19.196.26

If I know in advance about tattoos then I am prepared, Piercing I can work with, not a real problem...Some models just have a little too many tattoos and so when I know this in advance then I stay away from this model. Here in Seattle where Grunge is King and tattoos are all around ,along with Gothic when you have a model without these you have to take advantage and shoot, shoot ,shoot.
There are certain areas of the country that also have a better quality of models available. Attitudes are also different in some parts of the country for good or bad. The tattoos in the middle of the back are common as are the ankle. The ones I hate are the big ones on the shoulder...Enough said, I do have a collection of girls with tattoos that I keep on file. Some are pretty neat ...