Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A Rant
Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 41923
Comments: 0

glam_chic is offline IP: 64.241.24.242

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just posted my travel notifications on that other site. In the description of the travel I wrote "only accepting paid assignments" because I am trying to offset the cost of travel. So anyhow, the first couple of responses looked promising, but then I came across two responses that really got me heated.

First off they sent me a message telling me that they think they can really improve my portfolio and I should work with them TFP. So I thought okay let me go look at their work to see if they can back up their claims. I went and looked at their images and they were horrible. They looked like web cam shots in their living rooms! One of the people even said that they would promote me if I sent them some pics of me. This just drives me nuts. I just dont understand what makes them think that a web cam shot would improve my portfolio. I can do that at my house in front of my own computer. Ahhhh....had to get that off my chest.

Re: A Rant
Old 04-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I completely concur. I get the same thing with models asking me to work for free while having only cell phone images in their portfolio. I'm all but done with the unnamed other site. Only once in a great while do I find a pearl there. It's no longer worth the aggravation.

I wish you would travel back to TX.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 70.238.114.196

I have used the "I can get you better shots than you have in your Portfolio" line, but only when I could back it up...

gotta roll with things, I'll bet at least one of those guys actually believed he IS great photographer...lol

Understandable Frustration.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35391
Send a message via MSN to HungryEye

HungryEye is offline IP: 68.151.37.12

It just goes to show, you don't have to be smart to own and operate a computer...
Your situation puts me in mind of the number of grainy web cam shots I see from "models" that bill themselves as professional, and work for pay only.
There is no question that "photographers" can be just as bad, or even worse, in that some newbies might be taken in by such nonsense.
If you travel my way, I'll see to it you get some paid work.

The Hungry Eye
www.hungryeye.com
hungryeye@canada.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HungryEye Visit HungryEye's homepage! Find More Posts by HungryEye

My Take
Old 04-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Timer Member

Member GG#: 35289

salrod3 is offline IP: 24.28.175.244

Understanding your fustration, I believe that one of the goals many of us have here is to educate both models and photographers in the elements of the professional side of the business. Our forum is open to all levels and by that nature some "un-developed" participants may feel that they have the talent to charge "skilled" prices for apprentice work.
Hopefully, by being exposed to examples of images and posing by truly talented individuals we can see what it really takes to produce those images we so enjoy. In many cases, we have been able to see the obtainment of the next higher level of skill through practice, practice and practice.
Your images give many the false sense of effortlessness. This is because they do not know or understand that you have refined your natural beauty to a skill that produces top images in a consistent manner. Hidden is the hours of work, the financial investment and the studying of your trade that has made you "lucky".
Dismiss those that have yet something to offer you to advance your trade and seek those who will help you obtain the next level. And from one who enjoys seeing your work, thank you for continuing to share so that I can become better

Old 04-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50713

Carl Zaiss is offline IP: 68.227.213.115

I share your frustration. It amazes me how people can make claims like they do with very little or nothing to back up their words. But, that those people exist is not a monopoly of our business. Sadly, it is true in almost every business. Take heart and be true to yourself...as you have...you'll live life with a great deal more pride.
Carl Zaiss
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Carl Zaiss Visit Carl Zaiss's homepage! Find More Posts by Carl Zaiss

Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Erin,

Someone of your caliber should be used to this by now. This can't be the first time you've been sent a message like this. I know it gets on your nerves, but you're going to have plenty more of them to come in the future.

BTW, I saw that you were only accepting paid work and didn't send you anything.

I see it all the time. Girls will email me asking me to shoot them. They have nothing to show in their ports, so of course there's no networking opp for me. When they figure out that I'm not some dude who shoots well and does it 'cause he enjoys purdy gurls parading in front of him wearing barely nothing, they move on. I could let it get to me or try to educate them, but why bother. Some other tard's going to give them what they want on their terms. My time is better spent picking my nose .

BTW, did you see that one of our shots was picked up as a showcase at that other place? This one!

Whodathunk, you'd be my first? Tootles

Re: Understandable Frustration.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

I will definitely let you know if I am ever in the area

Re: My Take
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Thanks

Old 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Hey Mike,

Wow, congrats on the showcase You wouldn't think this would be my first experience with this, but it is. I had never had anyone send me an email like that before. I guess its something common though and I should just get used to it *shrug*