Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The deed is done...Wish me luck!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936
Comments: 0

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 69.208.247.214

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I finally gave in to the pressure.. I just bought a D200 an hour ago (they're like four leaf clovers right now.)
I will never give up on film (my first love) but there seems to be situations where digital is required (or a good alternative) so I decided now was the time.
One thing I will say... it really shows how simple film is. I've seen less buttons in a plane's cockpit! And options, holy crap! sRGB/Adobe RGB, beep/don't beep, NEF/JPG/NEF+JPG, etc.,etc.,etc!
Anyways, I'm off to fiddle and read the voluminous manual. I'll post something soon.
Cheers,
Jim Neumann
BLUEFROG
P.S. Thanks to those of you who gave me opinions on the D200 versus the S3. Thx.

Re: The deed is done...Wish me luck!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
I will never give up on film
Wanna bet??
I just read where Kodak is giving up manufacture of most if not all B&W papers.
They've already cut way back on film. Can the demise of film be far be hind?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.247.187

A more ominous indication of film's likely demise is that Kodak has concentrated a lot of money and effort into the image sensor and related electronics businesses.

They are in the image business, not necessarily the film business, these days.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 69.208.247.214

That's their black and white papers. And I've not shot a roll of Kodak chromes since K64. Kodak does great B&W films (Plus-X still rocks) but I've been shooting Fujichrome almost exclusively for 20+ years.

And if you're wondering how close the demise is, you should look at the 4 major points the CEO of Fuji gave at PMA. One renews their commitment to silver halide technology (ie. film) and another states the superiority of silver halide materials in printing technologies (despite great strides in piezo / inkjet technology, I agree. Check out a LightJet or Chromira print side by side iwth an Epson print!)

Will film, eventually, die. Sure. But not as soon as many people think. There are a lot of us film shooters out there. (Nikon wouldn't introduce a new film body if they didn't think they could sell them. That's just bad business. There's nothing sentimental about it. They still see a need for the prosumers so they gave us the F6 (which is selling quite well from what I've read.)) I personally have 4 film bodies (35mm and medium format) which still need a supply of film. And that's few compared to some people who have upwards of 10 bodies or more.

Anyways...
Back to reading...
Jim

Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEFROG
Well, I finally gave in to the pressure.. I just bought a D200 an hour ago (they're like four leaf clovers right now.)
I will never give up on film (my first love) but there seems to be situations where digital is required (or a good alternative) so I decided now was the time.
One thing I will say... it really shows how simple film is. I've seen less buttons in a plane's cockpit! And options, holy crap! sRGB/Adobe RGB, beep/don't beep, NEF/JPG/NEF+JPG, etc.,etc.,etc!
Anyways, I'm off to fiddle and read the voluminous manual. I'll post something soon.
Cheers,
Jim Neumann
BLUEFROG
P.S. Thanks to those of you who gave me opinions on the D200 versus the S3. Thx.
I bought my first DSLR NikonD50 (it's my first SLR too) a few weeks ago and in a much much smaller way I feel your pain brother.

What the fudge are all those menu options for? there's a thumb dial? What's that twisty thing on the front of the camera? There's some kind of dealy thing on the top too.

My lack of knowledge on how to operate the camera however hasn't stopped me from having 5 shoots, and getting some good baby pictures of my niece.

Congrats on your D200, Im hoping to step up in another year or so. Until then, I've got a lot of reading to do.

carpe pictorum.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.144.221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak
A more ominous indication of film's likely demise is that Kodak has concentrated a lot of money and effort into the image sensor and related electronics businesses.
They are in the image business, not necessarily the film business, these days.

As someone who analyzes companines and investments by day (and forgive me Kodak fans for saying this), Kodak has suffered dramatically from a lack of focus in recent years. Things have improved, but they are still staggering in many respects.

Just as Schwinn Bicycles ignored the advent of the mountain bike (thus ensuring it's bankruptcy and final relegation to the shelves of Wal-mart), Kodak was slow to digital technology. Their move cost them not only credibility among key consumers and pros, but also cost them valuable resources from lost sales. What we are seeing now is a company that has to eliminate any part of their business that is not either (a) producing revenue or (b) capable of producing significant revenue in a relatively short period of time. That isn't the answer that many of us want to hear as photographers, but the fact is that Kodak has shareholders who don't care as much about silver halide technologies as they do about establishing and increasing a quarterly dividend.

Just to show you that I'm not some cold analyst...I would gladly go back to the days of throwing roll after roll of Tri-X Pan in my K-1000. Of course I was 17 and it was the only way that I could get girls to talk to me...so my motives aren't necessarily completely pure.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.131.44.53

Please read very carefully about the differences between srgb and Adobe RGB and now a new color space ProPhoto RGB.

http://photoshopnews.com/2005/06/09/...to-rgb-update/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski