Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is there any hope without PS?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267
Comments: 0

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I am a hack. I'm one step up from a GWC at this point, but am actively trying to correct that.

My question, is there hope for any sort of commercial success (albeit modest) at this point without Photoshop? I have used PS Elements, and have taken PS classes, but I detest the editing process. For a while I justified it by saying that the intensive PS editing ruined the natural feel of the image and wasn't "pure" photography. The more that I learn, however (and after surgical removal from my high horse) the more I am coming to the belief that it is simply a part of the business that can no longer be avoided.

At this point, is there any way to make a living in the photographic arts without PS? I suspect that I am limited to the more "journalistic" pursuits, but would like the opinions of those who are smarter than I. That's about 103% of the population of G1, so I am curious to hear what you have to say.

Re: Is there any hope without PS?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 72.38.226.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Personally, I prefer a little bit of USM and other minor tweaks in Photoshop as opposed to sitting in a film darkoom.

Aside from that, if you "get it right" in the camera, there really shouldn't be much you need to do in Photoshop other than a bit of USM and/or levels and/or saturation tweaks.

Also, you might want to check out Adobe's new "Lightbox" software (no Intel/Windows beta yet ) as it might shorten your time in post.

Ray A. Akey
My PBase Galleries (nudity warning)
My Flickr (nudity)
My Commercial Website (work-safe)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 03-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 24.17.103.235

Ansel Adams spent countless hours in the darkroom perfecting his images. His darkroom techniques didn't make great images, they only enhanced them. Adams understood light and how his equipment captured it. When he captured an image he knew he could make it better later.
JT Smith is his workshops talks about "seeing the light." Whether natural light or fabricated, it is how we capture the light that creates an image attracting attention. Understanding light and how the equipment will capture it is the key. Not to slight composition, etc.
Photoshop is just a tool, on a computer instead of the darkroom, for making a good image better.
Making a living at photographic arts is more about marketing and running a business than the images themselves. I will probably take some hits for that statement. My point is, to be a successful, as in commercial money making photgrapher, you need to sell yourself and your images. Marketing, marketing, business sense, marketing, photography, marketing...
Unfortunately, it is likely you will need to do more of the business stuff than the art itself.
Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 03-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Hamilton
Making a living at photographic arts is more about marketing and running a business than the images themselves. I will probably take some hits for that statement. My point is, to be a successful, as in commercial money making photgrapher, you need to sell yourself and your images. Marketing, marketing, business sense, marketing, photography, marketing...
as with most things in life, the 80/20 rule applies: it's 80% business and marketing and 20% art.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Back "in the day", many great photographers turned their negatives over to great printers. Cole Weston's printing skill is responsible for many of the Edward Weston images we see today. Sending images out for re-touching is not unheard of. The relationship between photographer and printer is a time honored one.

I have heard many people resisting digital because of the required computer skills and time to get prints, yet these same people take their rolls of film from the wedding to a lab for processing and printing.

Turning your digital images over to a skilled PS artist for tweaking, cropping, etc., could easily be considered part of doing business, and fits the pattern of "how business was done" for years.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby