Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Titles and Ratings ....
Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've noticed quite a number of photos that are posted with just a number for the title or the original camera image name. It seems to me that this starts the photo out with a strike against it because it does not give the viewer anything to go on and seems more just like carelessness.

What do you all think?

As for ratings of photos, it seems to me that many give out a rating of 9 or 10 to just about any photo. I think that 10, for sure, should be reserved for only the most outstanding photo. After all, if you give a 10 to one photo, and then later see a photo that is much better, what do you give it. I generally give an 8 to a outstanding photo and only then if I later see a better photo, do I go higher.

What criteria do you all think makes sense when rating photos?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Titles and Ratings ....
Old 03-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 129.174.176.3

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In my experience with ratings systems like this its extemely hard to get people on a set scale. i previously belonged to a few other photography rating sites but left when i discovered that the users were abusing the scales and ratings. since then i have gone to photosig.com for this type of critique. the ONLY way you are ever going to get a unified system is by punishing incorrect critiques or ratings. This site doesn't at the moment have the capability to do this.

Basically what most don't realize is that by not following a set of standards for ratings the whole system becomes useless. i would love to see this site adopt a method for controlling this type of things.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastdawgg
since then i have gone to photosig.com for this type of critique.
I haven't found that Photosig.com works very well either. Their structure is setup so you only get three critiques and because the critiques are rated people are often afraid to say what they really feel about a photo. And since the first three critiques get triple the points, you often get no more than three ratings. I've found that many of the ratings were totally off base, especially when one posts a nude. My link there is:

http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=103727

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 24.17.103.235

I would agree that descriptive titles to photos will draw more attention.
As to ratings, I think they are useless. They are subjective to the individual giving the rating. To have a comprehnsive rating guideline I do not believe would work, as people wouldn't really follow it. And, with potentially thousands of raters, they will all have their own ideas on what is a 10.
Honest critique about what an individual feels are the strong and weak points of a photo can be much more constructive.
The latter requires thought and communciation, the former just mindlessly selecting a number.
I have learned much by reading the critiques, viewing photos and thinking about how it was created or how I might have done something different, and learned from those generous enough to post how they created an image.
Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 03-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 129.174.176.3

valid points. all systems of rating are flawed in that they are totally subjective to the person doing the rating. photosig has its problems and weaknesses, but i have gotten some great feedback from there before.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 03-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 66.169.200.198

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
<snip>
What criteria do you all think makes sense when rating photos?
Here's what makes sense to me: If I want a critique on my work I'll ask for it by posting images in the "critique these images" section.
Else... this arbitrary system of "rating" images is for the birds and is but one of the reasons I'm just not sure that I'm going to participate as much in this new forum as the old one.
Sour grapes? Not at all. Consider that on GG there was a rule that said that in order to critique an image you had to either (a) post an image or (b) have a portfolio where others could see, and therefore self-validate, your abilities as a photographer. Now, there is no such reality check.
I liken this to the episodes we had of wanna-be monthly winners trashing the other models - too much potential for bad juju and not enough up side.
No, this is one of the "features" of this new forum that could go bye-bye and not be missed by many, I think.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.55.235.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd
No, this is one of the "features" of this new forum that could go bye-bye and not be missed by many, I think.
I would have to agree. Opinions on my work (and almost everyone else's) can vary widely. I have a photoshop created image in my port that on another board was blasted rather unmercifully but later was selected for a juried show and received an "honorable mention" in the best of show competition.
In any case, some of my images have been rated 5 or 6. It would be one thing if the rater left some comments but alas, he/she did not. I have no idea why the image was rated mediocre so there is no opportunity to improve. As such, if that system went away I would not miss it.
And yes, Fredrick, all my images have real titles.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman