Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Philly seminar from this past weekend
Old 03-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50485
Comments: 0

mhagan is offline IP: 68.34.163.82

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Iíll be posting photos later but just wanted to give my thanks to all of the people that made this happen.
Rolando, Rick, Mike Dean, Julie the hair and MUA and of course the five models!

I had a great time and hopefully made some new friends. All of the models where super to work with, and all but one where very friendly and acted as they really want to be there. The one model produced nice images however was not easy to talk to and did not want to interact with us. I came away feeling like she thought we where all a bunch of sickos or something, maybe that was just me. Whatever, no big!

I'm not sure what the group thought about me, I tend to be outgoing and overwhelming to some people. But I had fun and took a few great photos.

As for the event itself, I think Saturday's session went a lot better and smoother then Sunday's. I even learned a ton during the dinner Saturday evening.
Sunday there seemed to be a tension or something hanging in the air, even amongst the group of us who paid to be there.

I thought it was very funny that I was the only paying participant that was from the Philly area. We had people from northern PA., NY., NJ., DC., VA. and even DALLAS TX. (Hi Scott) We where all willing to share information, tips and trick and for the most part everybody seemed to respect each other ideas, equipment and space. I did not get the feeling of being look down upon because I did not have the greatest most expensive or best camera. I have been to other events where that has happened.

IT'S NOT THE CAMERA, IT'S WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS!!!!

It was interesting to see the lighting schemes and I was surprised that for all but one location there was not a hair light set up. 5 out of 7 shooting locations had just one strobe and a huge soft box or beauty dish. That was fine with me, I did find myself think I wish I had a reflector to bounce some light to the shadow side of the model, but I guess I could have ask for one.

Mike Dean, his assistant and Rick could not have been any more helpful or nice, truely GREAT guys!!!!! I know I could not have dealt with that crap they where putting up with. THANKS GUYS!!!!

Well like I said, I'll be posting images for the next few days.

Again thanks to all that made it possible,
Esp. Rolando, Rick and Mike.

Mike

Easier said then done!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhagan Visit mhagan's homepage! Find More Posts by mhagan

Re: Philly seminar from this past weekend
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 134.205.44.134

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I concur that the workshop as a whole was a great success. This was my very first Rolando Gomez workshop, heck, this was my first photography related course/workshop ever. I could not have asked for a more competant and knowledgeable instructor and staff. Mike Dean and Rick were very awesome and completely approachable. Thanks to all of them (if they happen to check this thread out).

I wanted to second the motion that at times the models in general reflected a feeling or mood that they were disgusted with the photographers or would rather be having dental surgery. While there was atleast one photographer that was blatantly only interested in the naked models I think the rest of us gave it the old college effort to stay as professional as possible.

I will be adding some of my pictures to my portfolio from this trip in the next day or so. Very nice class and it was nice meeting most of the guys that attended the workshop.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 03-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50485

mhagan is offline IP: 68.34.163.82

I only got the "VIB" from one model, the other 4 models where super to work with!

Mike

Easier said then done!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhagan Visit mhagan's homepage! Find More Posts by mhagan

Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44631

KMiller is offline IP: 24.241.252.129

I'll add to the comments of Mike and Steve and say that the workshop was AWESOME! 20+ photographers is a lot, but it seemed to work out with only a few hiccups. Once we started counting out the 26, 27, 28th shot, things went better

Rolando - awesome workshop and thanks for all the insight.
Mike Dean - All of us could only DREAM of having a studio likes yours!
Rick, Julie, et al - thanks for all the help and hard work.
And to all the wonderful models - THANKS for all hard work and putting up with everyone. You all were great and I'm glad you all finally got your lunches.

It was great meeting all the photographers too.

Mike H - great meeting you and your over night portfolio shots were great.

Steve J - see you at the next workshop.

Again, thanks to all that were there and helped make it a GREAT workshop!

Ken
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KMiller Find More Posts by KMiller

Old 03-27-2006, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member GG#: 3
Comments: 1

Michael H Dean is offline IP: 71.224.140.103

I hope all who attended walked away with some ideas. If any are going to be in the area and would like to shoot, just drop me a line. I am always testing with models and my studio is always open to models and photographers alike.
Its all about networking and sharing info. With so many photographers and 5 models it does get a little tense sometimes. I talked to all Models and they did enjoy working with you all.
Thanks for attending and hope to see many again in July when the next workshop is being held here.
Michael H Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael H Dean Find More Posts by Michael H Dean

Old 03-27-2006, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagan
It was interesting to see the lighting schemes and I was surprised that for all but one location there was not a hair light set up. 5 out of 7 shooting locations had just one strobe and a huge soft box or beauty dish.
was there a reason you were limited to a single lighting source? just curious.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.48.71

Jimmy D,
When working with big groups like this it's not easy to do multiple lights since the guys have the models moving all over. You end up with hair lights bouncing off hips or missing entirely when they want completly different poses. The idea is to try and set the light, or lights to cover a pretty wide working area that will give solid results and show off the different lights and how they do give different effects whether softbox or beauty dish etc.
In this case we had one area using 2 lights and one with a 4 light setup. On the 4 light setup whenever they had the model move forward, and would properly expose the model, the background would go darker. This was actually a good lesson to show some of them as you move her forward or backward you could control the background exposure as well, With such a big group I don't know if everyone had a chance to learn that one.
Hopefully everbody went away with some great shots and learned to work with the light and how it effected the models by moving one or both which is encouraged.
It's a much different world than one model, one photographer.
Thanks

Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB
...we had one area using 2 lights and one with a 4 light setup.
thanks for unconfusing me and enlightening (NPI) me. i guess i misunderstood the original post and thought everything was shot with a single light source.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 45243

Tiffany_Karns is offline IP: 24.193.100.104

Thanks for the comments about the models... I did enjoy every bit of it... of course except for when my feet started to hurt so bad with those heels that I'm not use to wearing... well.. I wear heels alot... just not stripper-esk type! lol...

Anyhooo... I wanted to make a comment about "the models acted like they would've rather had dental surgery..." I surely hope that comment wasn't lead towards me at least... I know that I busted my rearend harder than I have at any other workshop before and I was the first one out there and usually last to eat my lunch...

And I know what model you're talking about with the vibe .... To let you all know, 2 of the models hadn't ever really modeled before and this was like their 2nd or 3rd shoot EVER.... so hopefully you can understand why one acted the way she did... It would be kinda strange to me too if I had just started out modeling and went to a workshop......

Well.. hopefully that cleared up some confusion...

I enjoyed meeting you all and I thought this was the best workshop I've been to so far!

Thanks-

Tiffany
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tiffany_Karns Visit Tiffany_Karns's homepage! Find More Posts by Tiffany_Karns

Old 03-29-2006, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hillary

Member GG#: 35410

Hillary is offline IP: 70.16.151.191

Well....I have to say that I am appalled at the comments I just read. I for one don't really know or want to know which model you are talking about nor am I posting to defend myself. That I don't need to do. I just think that to single someone out is very unprofessional and mean spirited. I would never say everyone was great but one photographer and make everyone wonder if it was them. While I believe that you are all entitled to your opinions and it's okay to feel a certain way about something, it still doesn't give you the right to demean someone's hard work. I believe each model was stellar this past weekend and presented themselves with professionalism and patience. It makes me sad that anyone would want to make someone else feel inferior. I hope I never read a post like this one again.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hillary Find More Posts by Hillary