Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
MUAs please read and reply
Old 03-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.235.17.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of setting up my new studio and I'm thinking of purchasing some makeup for my changing/makeup room and have two questions.

1. Should I stock makeup in my studio?
2. If the answer to question one is yes, what brand is the best?

AND, I'm certainly open to the tips, hints, suggestions, or general insults as it pertains to the makeup question!

Good day to all!!

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: MUAs please read and reply
Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 68.206.49.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are going to have make-up on hand you are looking at a sizable investment. I would not invest in make-up unless you plan to spend about $600.00 to $1000.00 and intend to learn how to apply make-up yourself as well.

Buying make-up is like buying paint or film. All MUA's have their preferences
and styles. MUA's tend to want to use their own kits- which I don't blame them.

I use Blasco make up (http://www.joeblasco.com) which is designed for photography and stage. I also use M.A.C. cosmetics (http://www.maccosmetics.com), and Max Factor on occasion.

But it would be nice to have, towels, sponge applicators, hair clips and pins, cotton balls, some make-up remover and towelettes. A clean well lit area to work in. Two comfortable chairs for model and MUA. A trash receptable.

I am actually investing in some IPods so the model can listen to music
while I'm working, I tend to have the models lie down on my make-shift
lawn-chair ( like a dental chair) and apply the make-up that way.

Greg.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips, Greg. I had a sneaking suspicion that makeup would be quite expensive. I've read that M.A.C. is really good but I think you're right that most MUAs would probably want to bring their own bag of tricks.

I will certainly add the other items to my list of things to get and I'll be installing a small unit of drawers to mark for MUAs to see and grab what they need from the drawers. I already have a nice couch in my studio but will be adding a couple of comfortable chairs at some point. I have a stereo in there as well but it's a POS and only temporary until I get a better system. Hell, I'll bring my laptop and run a 5.1 surround sound system from it and it'll sound awesome!

Thanks again for the info!!

Good day!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 03-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 68.206.49.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujrnr
Thanks for the tips, Greg. I had a sneaking suspicion that makeup would be quite expensive. I've read that M.A.C. is really good but I think you're right that most MUAs would probably want to bring their own bag of tricks.
I will certainly add the other items to my list of things to get and I'll be installing a small unit of drawers to mark for MUAs to see and grab what they need from the drawers. I already have a nice couch in my studio but will be adding a couple of comfortable chairs at some point. I have a stereo in there as well but it's a POS and only temporary until I get a better system. Hell, I'll bring my laptop and run a 5.1 surround sound system from it and it'll sound awesome!
Thanks again for the info!!
Good day!
Mike
No problem.
Purchasing make up doesn't have to be too expensive. But when future needs are unknown, you literally have to prepare for anything and everything and that gets expensive after awhile.

I literally set aside 25 dollars per week for a year before I invested in my kit.
I don't use it often, but when I need it, I'm glad it's there. Since I already paint,
make-up is just an extension of what I already do. I don't consider myself an
expert, but I do get the job done.

You don't have to go all out on the extras. Just whatever you can afford.
I'm not rich, I just save over a period of time and just hope I don't die in
the process ( LOL!).

Same with software and hardware. I usually get the initial license paid for
by clients, but I have to pay for upgrades which can still amount to several
thousand dollars every 2 years. As well as needing a new system almost
every 3 -4 years ( just when my depreciation expenses expire).

Old 03-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.142

Don't bother, except for maybe some emergency lip gloss, mascara, and powders (a few different shades), and as someone else stated, some basic disposable application and cleanup supplies - MU sponges, clean towels, hair pins & clips, a hairbrush, curling iron and blow dryer just in case the girl forgets. First, you can't possibly stock all the items and colors a real MUA would use, and even if you did, it would get stale after a certain amount of time.

Second, there is the issue of safety - MUAs know how to clean their brushes and applicators, and to keep the product fresh so they don't pass something like an unseen infection from one person to the next. I don't even like sharing a hairbrush with someone, I can't imagine an unsterilized eyebrow tweezer. And if you did provide all those things and someone got ill, you might be liable.

Better to bring in a MUA or have the model do it herself, although it wouldn't hurt to educate a new model about the importance of using profession MU products rather than ordinary over the counter stuff. Pro makeups is made with more neutral bases (no over whitening for example) and will go on smoother.

One thing I did keep at my studio was nail polish remover. I hate red nails (unless its necessary for a particular and special shot) and so many girls show up with these awful red nails, the second thing I used to have them do is remove the polish. The first thing is to remove any tight clothing, especially bras & panties with elastic bands, to reduce the effect of lines on the body. I can't believe how many times even a pro model has shown up unprepared this way, but it happens all the time.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 03-26-2006, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I had never even given thought to the possibility of passing on bacteria or a virus through makeup. That's a very important and valid point. For that reason alone I am very hesitant to get any, not to mention shelf life as well. I think after all things considered, I'll just get the basic supplies that are disposable such as cotton balls, and cleansers that are only one-time use items. Now the trick will be to find a professional makeup artist in Maine. There isn't sh*t for professional services like that up here. Even getting models has proven to be a real PITA. I've visited the Other Model Place and found a lot of Maine "models" but I think only two of the 40 I've emailed have ever responded...Oh wait, make that three. Fortunately, one of them is a gold mine in my opinion. She is perfectly gorgeous and is flawless in body and skin. I've had her photo up in my profile on the old GG but it's not in my profile here. In any event, her and I keep in touch and we have big plans for this spring/summer and I am really anxious to share that with my family here on G1. AND, I say all that only to say that she is the only model that I know who brings her own personal makeup artist. He does a great job with her and so I may see if he is willing to work with me on other projects as well.

Well, thanks again Andy. Your wisdom has once again prevailed and I'm going to go with your initial assessment and not bother with the makeup.

Good day!

Mike