Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A comment......
Old 03-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 24.27.56.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have had the occasion this evening to comment with friends about the world of internet forums. This was percepitated by the notification that a long time contributor to this forum has been, well dispatched for what ever reason. As one who has often skirted that thin line I found myself relaying to others what I came to understand a while back.

This forum is about people with a passion for photography, and to a degree Glamour Photography but sometimes the passion is so great all kinds of images surface here. What happens is that when people with a passion meet others with a passion then this forum becomes something more. People feel comfortable they feel like they can discuss things as if they were looking friends and family in the eye, in the same room, and that is not always the case.

I admit that I have often looked for the rg email that told me I was banned. Certainly it is the right of owners to do that, if we can see now who the latest owners are. The key is that it is about photography, which on occasion gets clouded with personal opinion and self promotion. But anyone who expects it to be something more is fooling themselves. When a forum takes on a life of it's own then it immediately becomes a target for exclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that those who own the football own the game. I would just like to say 'Godspeed and my best to you Don and DeeAnn'. And if I get whacked you can reach me at mike@mhickey.com.

Mike [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Re: A comment......
Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37943
Comments: 0

cindavphoto is offline IP: 216.229.94.144

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know I don't log on as often as I should to keep up with everything, but I do pop in about every other day or so. But I'm lost and confused on this one. Are you saying Don & DeAnn have been booted?? You can't be saying that. I must be misunderstanding.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cindavphoto Visit cindavphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by cindavphoto

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 68.55.90.246

You have voiced my thoughts Mike. They will be missed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

wow
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

interesting note you wrote there big guy. You know I highly respect you and your viewpoint. But your post leaves the following question unanswered.

Define long time poster...3 years, 5 years, 7 years?

Seriously, and I know you know this, but its the right of the skipper of the ship to define the course. And when the folks down below the bridge are defining the journey instead of the other way around, the boss gotta turn to the XO and tell the crew to straighten up.

This was a case of someone with an agenda pushing all the wrong buttons on someone elses forum. Love RG or hate him, its his show. You want to knock him, don't use his bandwith, even if you are a paying member. The people you are talking about were using every step they could to provoke a showdown. Good for them.

What did they accomplish?

Everyone who has met them says they are the nicest folks in the world. I think he really developed as a decent shooter in a short period of time.

But all of his up and down stuff revealed a serious character flaw that you would never have allowed to continue in your years in command. All that I think is that we owe RG, whether we love or hate the guy, the decency of respect for the fact that he thought up the concept of GG, he keeps it alive and is marketing the crap out of himself. And I am upfront to admit that I don't agree with the guy on everything, but thats cool. It's his boat.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 03-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.29.163

Mr. Hickey, I agree with your statements. I must have missed the percipitating incident. I usually log on twice a day to keep up. I hope this can be resolved without casting out one of our own.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Re: wow
Old 03-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 24.27.56.95

Hey Glenn you and I see the same on this one. It is rg's deal and he can do as he wants, I would if I owned it. I think what bugs me here is for whatever fault Don may have he actually was one of the few who took the time to help newbies and losing that means the forum loses something. Yes he pushed the limits and once or twice long ago I did the same. I finally got to the point that if it wasn't about photography I really did not want to get in to it on this forum. That has served me well because I don't get pissed as often and I tend to enjoy the place more. Maybe Don could learn to do the same and be welcomed back one day, who knows.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Therein lies the difference
Old 03-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

You and I know when to fold 'em and when to hold 'em. He didn't, and as an adult, that is a serious flaw of character.

If Don really cared that much about the community and helping all of those in it, as he is extremely capable of doing, then he wouldn't have done all of the other crap. He had to know after all these episodes, what was the line, and when to not cross it.

He put the admins in the position of having to make a decision of him over principle. Principle wins everytime. He pushed and pushed and goaded them into action. There is no joy in Mudville today. But the community is better for it.

So I find it hard to disagree when you say he has talent, but I am certain that he had utter disregard for the community as a whole when he put himself in a position to be banned or whatever happened. Don should have been the poster child for an amazing journey to accomplishment. Instead he lost his audience.

The situation reminds me of the Philadelphia Eagles and star Terrel Owens. Amazing football player pushed the teams management so far that they had to choose their right to manage over 1 persons antics and they lost the season over it. And they made the right choice and will be better for it. And TO started the whole thing over nothing.

A long time ago I had a Fire Chief boss who told me something that has guided me in many ways, "You can only be responsible for your own actions. You can't make anyone act in any manner that you want, no matter how hard you try. The only one you truly control is yourself. Act accordingly."

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 03-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.174.217

It seems that once again I missed out on all of the drama, but again, all of the drama is among the reasons I'm no longer around all that much. I don't know what happened this time, but if Don is really gone, then that's sad. Don was, most of the time, a good contributor and helped to give the board some life. But he also seemed to enjoy pushing the admins' buttons and knew which to push. He obviously enjoyed controversy he caused.

If he is really gone (this time), for one I'll miss his posts but not the drama.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: Therein lies the difference
Old 03-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.85

[ QUOTE ]
Principle wins everytime

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe depends on who your dealing with and what their own person princles are. I've lost more than one battle because I stuck to my principles and it usually effected something else down the road.

[ QUOTE ]
But the community is better for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I for one will disagree on this point, because he has helped me, and more than once. In the short time I've been here at GG even I could tell his improvement.
Yes, I feel like a beginner compared to most here, or maybe all, but I've learned a lot because of all the Don's here.
Do I agree with everything he did or say,No, do I respect him for his opinion or stand on things, Yes. Do I know what happened, No. Personnally that's between him and the Admin., and it's something we don't need to hash around.

You've already stated your feelings, so why keep pushing it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

These are my opinions and I don't need a response. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40360
My Mood:

Zairia is offline IP: 70.225.41.6

Don and DeeAnn will be missed. Don taught me alot in regards to lighting. His improvement just in this past year was amazing. DeeAnn is one of the sweetest women I have ever met.
Don and DeeAnn have fun with their photography and it shows. I enjoyed reading their posts and learning from them. Their sense of humor made me laugh or brought a smile to my face.

They will be missed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Z
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zairia Visit Zairia's homepage! Find More Posts by Zairia