Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A Special Request
Old 03-04-2006, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45940
Comments: 0

MCohen is offline IP: 72.177.245.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am doing some revisions on my website. Adding new photos, creating additional galleries, text changes, etc. I would love some feedback on my site from some of the folks here if they are so inclined. Right now I feel that I am still a better nature photographer than fashion or glamour but I am trying to break into those markets and plan on doing so agressively in the very near future. I would especially love some feedback from my idol Mr. Lee and from some of the other working pros, if they have the time.

The site address is www.amandacohenphotography.com or here's a link... Amanda Cohen Photography

I really only want constructive and useful critism such as which images are weakest, possible ways to categorize that might be more effective, etc. Anyone who takes the time to this for me has my great appreciation. I know it's an unusual request and will take of few minutes of your time so I don't expect much but I hope for some comments.

My nature site is www.OrganicImagesOnline.com for comparison. I am satisfied with that at the moment as it is not really meant to generate income anyway.

The new galleries are going to be Fashion and Pinup. I may also retitle the Experimental gallery but I'm not sure about that yet.

Thanks ya'll.
Mandy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MCohen Visit MCohen's homepage! Find More Posts by MCohen

Re: A Special Request
Old 03-04-2006, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 69.140.89.179

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well I'll bite. I do web design as well as photography so I'm always interested in photographers websites.

The good:
Clean design
Easy navigation
Good portrait of the beautiful photographer [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Great images in your portfolio

The bad:
The galleries are not easily expandable from a web master's standpoint.
The page protection doesn't actually work.

Pretty good stuff!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thank you!!!!

That is exactly the kind of useful feedback that I need. The page protection is of special concern to me. I was told that there was no way to REALLY protect the pages. If there is I would be thrilled to find out about it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MCohen Visit MCohen's homepage! Find More Posts by MCohen

Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 69.140.89.179

This is true. There is no real way to protect the images. In your case the protection "code" isn't working correctly though. It pops up saying it won't allow me to steal your images and then when I click ok the "right-click" menu shows up with all the options to "save as" etc.

What I do (once again its not a perfect solution) is use Flash for my galleries. Most people don't know how to strip images out of a Flash file. Even for those who do its not a particularly easy or rewarding process.

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

Old 03-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.78.77

I like the simplicity. Very intuitive to navigate. Not sure, but should bios be 3rd person? I'm not big on the rules of writting, but noticed this. That also made me come to the question ....are you doing this for business or pleasure? It didn't seem obviouos that you were using this as an interface to perspective clients. I like all the images.

How did you build the galleries? I like the overlay with drop shadow effect.

Nice work.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to SnJPhotography Find More Posts by SnJPhotography

Old 03-04-2006, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 24.183.195.140

I like the way the site can be navigated fairly easily, looks good also.

The weak images IMHO are...

Lilli
Marina
Construction Kelli

They just seem to take from the quality of the rest.
Even with these I'm still green with envy since I don't have anything more than a myspace page. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The whole web design thing is Greek to me.

Joe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

PS I really liked your other site. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 03-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.126.152

Who are you really targeting for the site? Are you trying to entice models, private sittings, magazine or stock companies, etc. That would help to know in evaluating the site. There is a great book, The Zen of CSS Design, which goes into all sorts of design choices based on what your purpose of the site is. There are chapters on what colors men favor v. women or which fonts to use, etc. You don't have to implement CSS obviously, but it is pretty interesting.

For the most part, I like the site. Very quick loading for me. I like the bio being in third person (someone else commented on this). It makes you sound big and succesful enough to employ a marketing staff or hire a marketing company.

There are a couple images that I thought were weaker than all the other great ones (noir, model, Twee, Thuy) and I would probably keep out the experimental gallery.

Also, the main gallery page (gallery.html) is the only page that doesn't have a menu to get to any where else but to the individual galleries. I would put the menu on that page, too.

Lastly, on your contact page, I would recommend not listing your email address (it sounds counter-intuitive, but bear with me) or having an emailTo link on the page. Instead, have a form someone can fill out that generates an email to you. Spiders and bots can look for these things and get you put onto SPAM email list, which will just be an annoyance for you.

Just my 2¢. I hope it helps.

Mark Oehler
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Thanks Ya\'ll
Old 03-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thank you all for the feedback.

I intend on transitioning ACP into a more commercially oriented site. Adding rates, a downloadable and printable PDA brochure, new bio, etc.

My IT guy knows about the gallery design. I just draw it and he makes it happen. I will ask him about the details.

Thanks for all the feedback on the images. It reconfirmed some of my selections as you will see by replacements appearing in the next few days.

Much Appreciation,
Mandy