Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Home for 24 hours, latest update, PMA and tearsheet...
Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.84.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone! I'm only home for 24 hours as I head back to teach at the Palm Beach Photographic Center in Florida, but wanted to say, I hope all is well. Yes it's true, we have our other servers operational, being worked on, and holding the new, revamped GG site--it's coming--the slowdown is my schedule which lightens up on the 10th when I return from a private instruction in the Virgin Islands (right after Palm Beach Photographic Center).

I will advise everyone to download your images off your GG portfolio, while our forum posts will transfer into the new system, the images will probably not as the new portfolio system is filled with categories. You will probably have to reload your images--our target date, without delays, is around March 15th, plus or minus. I do not recommend loading any more new images this month after this week. Posts will transfer and we will let you know when we'll make a database migration of the old posts--this will cause the forum to be down a few hours. A few that were at PMA saw firsthand some of the new changes as we demo'd the site to a few people--it will be a major change, new chat rooms, new forum, new portfolio, new classifieds, new review section, and new? Stay-tuned! Yes, the site will speed up as we've been under constant hack attacks lately and the new site has a better firewall system in place.

For those that are keeping up with my busy schedule, I just returned after having one of my best ever PMA (Photo Marketing Association) show events down in Orlando. If you've never been to a PMA, you should go, next year it's in Las Vegas. PMA is the "big show" for the photo industry, it's an annual event going on now for over 81 years. For the first time ever, they had a "Pro's Perspective" feature that I wrote for the show daily magazine, PMA Daily and the tearsheet is below. That was huge as the PMA Daily is read by the photo industry leaders attending from all over the world.

The biggest announcement out of PMA, came from Leica, they are releasing new lenses that fit any camera utilizing the four-thirds system, just like Olympus, as an example--wow, can you picture an Olympus E-Volt, E-500 (approx. $700) with a Leica lens? More to come on that and other PMA product news.

For now, it was a great success as Mike Dean (part owner of GG), along with my assistant Rick, April 2006 Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough and I first arrived on Saturday and our first event was a private dinner with the folks from Leica. I have found out Leica is about family when it comes to their sponsored photographers, same as Olympus. It was a great dinner. The highlight with Leica was meeting their USA President/CEO--stay-tuned, great things coming from Leica.

Holley had fun signing autographs for many people, including for "Mr. Samy" from Samy's Camera for his Fairfax store in Los Angeles. The folks at Epson, Wacom, HiTi, EZPnP, Nikon, Olympus, Cygnus, Amherst and many other booths we stopped at, loved her there--I think she walked away with some free camera stuff too--she was a hit and everyone is waiting for her Playboy issue that comes out on the newsstands in about 7 days! It looks like Holley will be coming to Photo Plus Expo and even maybe WPPI in April if her schedule works out, as she was solicited for paid signing opportunities in the future with many companies including Picto Books, Leica, Amherst and others.

It was fun, ran into a few GG'rs and enjoyed meeting them, and it was great to see Amherst promoting my new book there and copies of the February issue of Studio Photography & Design being handed out as I had a two-page article in there about the my upcoming book. In this field, marketing is very important if you want to stay alive, and we were on top of our game and gained some major players coming on board to GG to help make this community move even more forward.

There was a lot of new things I'll have in my PMA Wrapup article for Studio Photography and Design in April, but that's just the start as Photokina in Germany is the World Show, ten times bigger than PMA, and it's coming up in September, that is the show to watch this year.

One interesting point, everyone, from the major players like Epson and Olympus, most had smaller booths this year, some didn't even appear, and there were very few hospitality parties, though we did take in Cygnus, Sony, and Epson parties and passed on Adobe's and a couple of others over more private dinners. Maybe next year in Vegas they'll have the big parties again, regardless, PMA was fun, successful, and I look forward to it every year.

Again, I'm barely home right now, playing catch-up and Dad, head out to Palm Beach tomorrow, home 24 hours on the 6th, then to the Virgin Islands from 7-10. After the tenth we have about two weeks before the Philadelphia workshop, so you will see the GG transformation after March 10th--back-up your images for the new portfolio system! Thanks, talk soon, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Portfolio views question ...
Old 03-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
I will advise everyone to download your images off your GG portfolio, while our forum posts will transfer into the new system, the images will probably not as the new portfolio system is filled with categories. You will probably have to reload your images--our target date, without delays, is around March 15th, plus or minus.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found the number of times the portfolio has been viewed value to be very useful when sending a link to a portfolio to a potential model. I wondered if that value will be retained in the new system, or will we all be starting over at zero views.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Home for 24 hours, latest update, PMA and tearsheet...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303
Comments: 0

Jason407 is offline IP: 65.33.176.213

PMA was great! Somehow, I must have missed you...but I had a great time...and didn't even have to leave my own city! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407