Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Menstruation/Periods...how do you handle this?
Old 02-18-2006, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Not trying to be flippant or crude but this is something that all female models and photographers have to deal with every so often. It's a fact of life.

What I was wondering about is if:

- as a photographer do you ask your models, ahead of any shoot, when their period is going to occur so as not to have to deal with 'accidents', bloating, hormonal mood swings?

- as a model do you volunteer this information when setting up a shoot?

I was one of 3 photographers doing a shoot with a gorgeous model when, between shots, I noticed a red streak on the inside of one of her thighs. Initially I thought it was a loose thread but the embarassment of the models clued me in that this was an overflow from her tampon. It was quickly fixed by the model but it did cause an uncomfortable moment then.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Menstruation/Periods...how do you handle this?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 68.148.135.17

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For me, I just trust that the model will schedule a shoot during the safe time of her cycle. I've never had it be an issue and have never had an experience such as yours. However, since it's such a natural fact of life, dealing with it if it becomes an issue and then moving on is probably the best way to handle it. I'm sure a model would be plenty embarrassed by it and making gross out commentary and cringing gestures simply wouldn't make things easier for her and certainly woudln't be very professional regardless of how funny it may be at the time.

Now, if she's a pregnant model and her water breaks followed by a baby falling to the floor, well, let's just sat I hope it's not during one of my shoots.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 02-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 41923

glam_chic is offline IP: 70.106.16.6

I have never had a photographer ask me when my period was going to be. I would probably be a little creeped out if one of them did ask me. I don't offer up information on when my period is either. I dont really see a need to. If it isnt a nude shoot then you probably wont even know I am on my period and even if it is a nude shoot, I can always tuck in the string so it wont show [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] As long as the model changes her tampon regularly, then she shouldnt have any problems with overflow. I have done tons of shoots where I was on my period and I didnt have any problems and the photographer never even knew.

View Public Profile Send a private message to glam_chic Visit glam_chic's homepage! Find More Posts by glam_chic

Old 02-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 41923

glam_chic is offline IP: 70.106.16.6

LOL, if the baby falls on the floor, that could be a problem [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glam_chic Visit glam_chic's homepage! Find More Posts by glam_chic

Old 02-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Just to be sure, I had not intended this to be a 'creepy' question. I had had a previous experience and was wondering how others had handled similar situations. I guess this is not a big deal at all.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 02-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735

RickHughes is offline IP: 69.94.193.28

In all honesty it is so rarely an issue that it is better left to the models discretion. If you have shot for any length of time you will run into an issue at some point. Sometimes the issue is more monumental, but that is so rare that it probably does not warrant the brain cells to deal with it ahead of time. At least when you have as few brain cells as me. :-)

View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Old 02-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35319

peter_nelson is offline IP: 141.154.114.176

I can't imagine why it would be a major issue.

People have mood swings, etc, for all kinds of reasons. When you consider that the vast majority of murders, aggravated assault, riots, suicide bombings, wars, etc, are carried out by males, the old menstrual-period mood swings rap on women seems a little lame.

I shoot some pretty nude nudes and I've never had a problem with periods. Once I had a model offer to tuck the string from her tampon in a less obstrusive fold of flesh and that sufficed. If a model has a little leak, it's just a bit of blood; she wipes it off, who cares? I once had a nosebleed during shoot; that was much worse!

The whole thing is a non-issue.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to peter_nelson Visit peter_nelson's homepage! Find More Posts by peter_nelson

Very disappointing....
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36467

Heatheron is offline IP: 71.68.70.80

I cannot understand why society today treats having your period as something to be ashamed of. In victorian times it meant becoming a woman, something to be proud of. Now girls worry about what brand tampon to buy, they are merely consumers. If I were a mother I would throw a party for my girl's first period and have red velvet cake. This is something to celebrate not be "grossed-out" by. Girls today just do not understand how important getting your period is, it is not a burden but a blessing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Heatheron Visit Heatheron's homepage! Find More Posts by Heatheron

Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44516

CostaJen is offline IP: 72.161.136.183

I have to say that I find periods pretty disgusting! I know like Heather said that it is a girl's passage into womanhood. but I can't help but feel... icky. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I would rather not have to deal with it! I schedule my shoots AROUND Aunt Flo! That's just my choice though! To all of you who can do otherwise, I envy you! I just feel too Blah to do ANYTHING!
Cheers!
Jen
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CostaJen Find More Posts by CostaJen

Re: Very disappointing....
Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.159.25

[ QUOTE ]
I cannot understand why society today treats having your period as something to be ashamed of. In victorian times it meant becoming a woman, something to be proud of. Now girls worry about what brand tampon to buy, they are merely consumers. If I were a mother I would throw a party for my girl's first period and have red velvet cake. This is something to celebrate not be "grossed-out" by. Girls today just do not understand how important getting your period is, it is not a burden but a blessing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.....you know,.... I was just kind of thinking... When I was about 13.. if say, my father took me out to McDonalds to celebrate a certain something that naturally happened in my uhmm dreams,..with a vanilia milkshake,... I'm not quite sure how I'd turn out.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

JP