Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Another Flake model leaving me high and dry Saturday with pre-booked studio
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime of Obsession

Member GG#: 38218
Comments: 0
Send a message via ICQ to kevgre Send a message via AIM to kevgre Send a message via Yahoo to kevgre

kevgre is offline IP: 69.242.90.13

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Out of the blue (26 e-mails ago) I get this message:

Your work is amazing. i would love to do a TFP shoot with you. let me know if you'd be interested. thanks, ali

26 mail messages, planning, pre-booking of studio, hiring MUA, good contact (the shoot is this Saturday in Coatesville). Tonight (Thursday Night, less than 40 hours before the shoot, and after 4 messages in the last 3 days trying to confirm (after booking studio etc)

Hi,

I hate to tell you this, but I am going to have to cancel on our shoot on Saturday. I just got called in for a booking in Miami last minute & I need to fly down Saturday afternoon. I'm very sorry to do this, but it's paying a large sum of money... & I could really use it right about now.

Regrets, (remove flakey model name here)

So as much as I'm mad that I have brought in a Makeup artist from NJ (who is already here), and that I have a studio held on my word (which means I have to pay at least something for booking it), I'm lost for someone to work with this Saturday (I'm going even if I have shoot a goat)

If any models want to take advantage of some free images, makeup and a cool studio, please contact me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kevgre Visit kevgre's homepage! Find More Posts by kevgre

Re: Another Flake model leaving me high and dry Saturday with pre-booked st
Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

ya know, as much as i empathize with your frustraition, especially considering all the pre-production and planning you put into this shoot--in fact, an amazing amount of planning and pre-production considering it was to be a TFP shoot--I'm having a hard time thinking of this model as a flake when she's giving you nearly two days notice that she needs to cancel. and if the reason she's cancelling is true, i think that's a valid excuse to cancel a non-paying gig.

would you have cancelled on her--given it's a TFP shoot--if you suddenly landed a great paying shoot and a possible continuing client, i.e., if the situation here were reversed?

i can certainly understand your frustration and dissappointment given the time you've put into this but i don't think she's being unreasonable and, in fact, i think she made the right choice for her modeling career as much as it puts you in the lurch. if she had called you and explained what was happening, adding she didn't want to cancel on you in spite of the money, would you have nicely offered to let her go and cancel? i know i would.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.87.117

Less than 40 hours before the shoot , WOW , I would love that kind of notice .

I usually get about a 12 hours or less notice that they changed their mind , not even that they got something to do !!

I also have to rent space for those "agreed to shoots" , but the guy I know doesn't usually work on sunday ( usual shoot day ) , so he is happy not to have to come in just for me.( I won't ask him again , I feel bad canceling all the time)

So unless this is like the models fourth or more time to cancel with you , wish her luck and ask to reschedule for where she comes back

Make a new post titled free shoot or help a guy out maybe a local model with call
Good Luck with Saturday
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42715
Send a message via Yahoo to CharliesImages

CharliesImages is offline IP: 65.190.160.49

I have to agree with the other posts. Bravo that she gave you as much advance notice as she did. Also as the others mentioned, you can't blame her for accepting a paid assignment.

I hope a model does accept your offer for a photo session this weekend.

Charlie
CharliesImages
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharliesImages Visit CharliesImages's homepage! Find More Posts by CharliesImages

At least she let you know
Old 02-17-2006, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

...And gave you two days (two DAYS!!!) notice.

I would hardly call that flakey behaviour, regardless of her reeasons.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Annoying? Maybe ...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.243.8

Yeah, annoying and disapointing, but she gave a reasonable notice almost two full days and had a relatively valid reason. I'm not at all sure I would call her a flake. Even in commercial shoots with thousands of bucks in the balance, a 48 hour notice is usually considered adequate. I would think it's more than likely you have time to find a replacement for a Sat shoot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

It\'s been said so many time before, but it needs to be said again.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 70.114.246.117

TFCD is a princess, but CASH is king. The king always rules.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Except . . .
Old 02-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35773
Send a message via Yahoo to cjeffries

cjeffries is offline IP: 65.19.195.172

A deal is a deal, except when ___________________ .
The truth is the truth, except when ________________.
A booking is a booking, except when ________________.
Your word is your word except when _________________.
Rubbish. A deal is a deal. Period.
If the deal is good the day it is offered and accepted, then it has to be a good deal until your end of it is completed, no matter what else happened in between (okay, I grant you that something like a death in the family would be a legitimate reason, but that is simply being humane and humanitarian). You made a bargain. Live with it. Unless there were provisions between model and photographer in their original deal allowing model to take a "better deal" at the last minute, the model had an obligation to keep up her end of the deal.
Too stinking much situational ethics going on here people. Cash trumps TFP? Okay, what else trumps TFP? What else legitimately fills in the blank following the "whens" above? How do we decide what appropriately fills in the blank? Who decides? The photographer says the excuse offered to fill in the blank was not good enough. So far, everyone is saying it was okay for the model to bail out. Once one thing is good enough, in this case cash, then the flood gates have been opened; the dam has been breached. Anything becomes good enough. Then we all deserve all the cancellations we get, whether the shoot be cash or tfp.
No, people. A deal must be a deal or else there are no deals. Truth, honest, bargains and deals all become too fluid and we better get used to the chaos that situational ethics produces.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cjeffries Find More Posts by cjeffries

So, you have never cancel a dentist appointment?
Old 02-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42661

MurphyMurphyStudios is offline IP: 66.32.165.203

[ QUOTE ]
A deal is a deal, except when ___________________ .
The truth is the truth, except when ________________.
A booking is a booking, except when ________________.
Your word is your word except when _________________.
Rubbish. A deal is a deal. Period.
If the deal is good the day it is offered and accepted, then it has to be a good deal until your end of it is completed, no matter what else happened in between (okay, I grant you that something like a death in the family would be a legitimate reason, but that is simply being humane and humanitarian). You made a bargain. Live with it. Unless there were provisions between model and photographer in their original deal allowing model to take a "better deal" at the last minute, the model had an obligation to keep up her end of the deal.
Too stinking much situational ethics going on here people. Cash trumps TFP? Okay, what else trumps TFP? What else legitimately fills in the blank following the "whens" above? How do we decide what appropriately fills in the blank? Who decides? The photographer says the excuse offered to fill in the blank was not good enough. So far, everyone is saying it was okay for the model to bail out. Once one thing is good enough, in this case cash, then the flood gates have been opened; the dam has been breached. Anything becomes good enough. Then we all deserve all the cancellations we get, whether the shoot be cash or tfp.
No, people. A deal must be a deal or else there are no deals. Truth, honest, bargains and deals all become too fluid and we better get used to the chaos that situational ethics produces.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that a "deal is a deal", lets be serious for a second. If you really beleive this, you have never cancelled a Dentist appointment because you were, say, sick. You have never cancelled a house-hunting appointment with your Realtor because your Mom came into town. You have never, ever cancelled a business meeting at work with a vendor because you simply had too many other things going on to listen to his pitch,

Please.

In real life stuff happens and it IS acceptable to cancel within certain parameters. 48 hours notice is OK. 72 hours would have been better.

If the original poster was going to go to a lot of expense for this TFP shoot then he could have laid down the "rules of the deal" ahead of time..... For instance: "Given the expense of renting the studio and bringing in a MUA, cancellation anytime withing 72 hours of the shoot will cause the downpayment of $XXX to be forfeited."

Gotta go, I need to cancel my doctor's appointment today.....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MurphyMurphyStudios Visit MurphyMurphyStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MurphyMurphyStudios

Nope
Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35773
Send a message via Yahoo to cjeffries

cjeffries is offline IP: 65.19.195.97

Never have.
If my time is valuable, then the time of the people I deal with must be valuable too. If not, then my time is of no value. If one is to get respect, he must first give it.
But what the _____________ do I know. I'm just Cletus McHicks from out in the sticks, conveniently located on the corner of nowhere and oblivion, just down the road from obscurity. Where the work a kid could get to earn the money for his tuition for college involved moving cattle on horseback. Where a handshake means something, or least used to.
And quite frankly, you have agreed with the point I am attempting to make. Any thing is acceptable for filling in the blank. You have simply provided more examples and shown how fluid the truth is becoming.
A deal is a deal, except when ___________________.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cjeffries Find More Posts by cjeffries