Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Jenna
Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Everybody!

This is Jenna, she and I shot in her apart last month and I am shooting with her there again this week. Over all I am pretty happy with the photos, but I'm wonder what I can do to get better photos this time. Please keep in mind, I don't own studio lights, so I have to rely on natural lighting, I do have a gold/white reflector, and a homemade silver reflector. What do you think I should do to make get better shots of her? She's also thinking of submitting some photos to Maxim.

The first two are in the bedroom with a large window for natural light, I think I did an okay job on these but I'd like to do better.

This one was in the hall with the front door open for light.

In the hall with less direct light

So my question is this, what can I do with my P&S camera and limited lighting to get better photos?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Re: Jenna
Old 02-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37943
Comments: 0

cindavphoto is offline IP: 216.229.94.144

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

To late to think about answers to your questions, but I have to say that top image is great!! A work to be admired.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cindavphoto Visit cindavphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by cindavphoto

Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks Cin, that's one of my faves so far.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 02-14-2006, 05:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.56

Nice shots for the light.
If your asking what a person would do for a better shot, all I could say would be to use a reflector to bounce some light back onto her left side a bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] JMO.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 02-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46479

TSGCo is offline IP: 71.241.201.251

Hey Michael. I am struggling with lighting myself but wanted to tell that I really like the images!
You did a good job as usual with the natural light and the first image is my favorite.
Respectfully,
Marc/TSG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TSGCo Visit TSGCo's homepage! Find More Posts by TSGCo

Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42462
Comments: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to Hailey

Hailey is offline IP: 24.74.98.146

The first two are good. The last two, particularly the last one, i do not like at all. just my opinion. the last image does nothing for me.. the pose and the lighting just dont work.

keep up the fine tuning! and keep posting! you have something with those first two. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Hailey Visit Hailey's homepage! Find More Posts by Hailey

Old 02-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.227.73

Hi Mike.

I love the first image, but the rest are less successful I think.

In the first image the model is positioned to take best advantage of the direction of the light from the window. I think it is important to think of your window as a big softbox, except you have to reposition the model and background rather than reposition the light.

The only change I can suggest is a little more light in the models eyes and on her face. A reflector or a very small amount of fill in flash perhaps. Too much would kill the mood but I think it would be nice to see some catchlights in her eyes.

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing some results from your next session.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Let\'s talk about light., position, and life in general...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.248.99

First of all, Jenna is lovely. She also seems to have the rare capacity to relax and appear totally comfortable in front of the camera.

Now about the lighting...

Window light is good. You also had the advantage that she is on white sheets and surrounded by white walls and probably a white ceiling. Lots of opportunities for that light to bounce around and soften shadows.

Here's the problem, the window light hitting the sheets is the strongest of the bunch, and it bounces up into her face. See how bright her chin is? That's the kind of lighting used in the cheapy horror films. Not really the most flattering for a young lady.

So how do you control that? There are many ways. Couple of ways I've used come to mind. Take a sheet and put it over the window to knock down the incoming light a bit is one way. It'll give you a softer diffused light.

Move her around so that the light bouncing off the sheets doesn't hit her square in the face is another. Then you can kick some light back into her face with your reflectors.

Then think about your position. You shot all pictures from eye level. That's what you normally see, but so does everybody else. Wanna grab people's attention? Change the perspective! Stand on a chair and shoot down, or lay on the floor and shoot up. Get some different angles. Kneel down and shoot with your eye at her breast level, or tummy level. Or do all of the above. Turn her around and have her look back over her shoulder, have her lean on the wall, kneel on the floor, jump on the bed. Change things! Give her something to do.

When everything gets predictable, life gets boring. It's the little surprises that keeps life interesting. One of the easiest things you can do to make your images more memorable is to introduce a little element of surprise. It doesn't have to be a big thing, just something a little out of the ordinary. Play with shadows, angles, and the model. She doesn't have to look at the camera on every shot. She doesn't have to be half naked to be sexy.

The better pictures are there waiting, you just have to look a little.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Let\'s talk about light., position, and life in general...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.164.252

Now thats a great critique, very informative.

DeAnn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for posting here. I've taken a page of notes, and I'll post a few as soon as we finish tomorrow.