Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RANT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Is it just me??? or has anyone else noticed a lack of comments when people post images..do we need to go back to putting them in the critique forum???
I've notice some folks have posted some really nice stuff that has gone without comment and some really bad some that got overlooked...I know Im the overposter posterchild on GG, but geeeze people...the Models work hard,the photogs work hard and alot of us are trying to learn to get better and not just looking for an "Attaboy" or the secret hand shake from the GG Admiration Society. Is GG that full of lurkers? or is everyone just getting lazy?
Have we all become so caught up in self promotion that we dont take the time to help out our fellow, Photog,Model,MUA?????
come on people!!! thats what forums are for!!!
Now that DeAnn has kicked the soap box out from under me and Im hanging from the noose with my boxers around my ankles!...I'll shut up!!!

Don.

Re: RANT!!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40754
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to NetMap Send a message via Yahoo to NetMap

NetMap is offline IP: 71.56.104.92

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How honest can we be with being seen as a jerk. I see some crappie images by frequent posters but if you were to say hay that’s crap you would get the title of ass. Best critique ever was JT “Don’t ever do that again�
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NetMap Visit NetMap's homepage! Find More Posts by NetMap

Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.236.136

A few posts I have made have had over 100 views and less than 5 comments eventhough I was asking a question. *shrugs* I figure most people don't have an opinion?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-josh'er
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
I see some crappie images by frequent posters but if you were to say hay that’s crap you would get the title of ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay Im going to layout the way I looked at Critiques, and believe me DeAnn and I have been raked over the coals more than anyone on GG, Because in the beginning I was horrible!!! But I took those that took notice of us and those were usually my worst critiques. I took one critic at a time and strived to make that person tell me I created a good image...first it was rixafter6,then it was Mhickey. then it was JimmyD...Currently its probably my worst critic..Glennusdin,,whether I get my thin skin bruised by them or not..it still drives me to create an image that will get thier approval,on an individual basis...I learned fast that I cant please everyone because the art is subjective. Yeah I might have one time thought Rixafter6 was being an ass..but damned if I didnt learn alot from him, JimmyD sure I thought a couple of times what a jag off...but with my better judgement I saw what he was trying to teach me....Mhickey, well sometimes i just didnt understand him, but understood his passion for the art..which strived me to improve...
Now everyone knows that Glen and I sometimes didnt see eye to eye..but does that mean he has nothing to teach me??? Hell no!!!! I say if you have to earn that title as an ass to get the point across then so be it..they'll appreciate it down the road later on when it hits them between the eyes like a falling brick!!!! so to all those that raked me over the coals I thank you!!!!!!
Keep racking so that I can improve!!!!

Don.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572

DBA1 is offline IP: 69.234.255.55

Nope, it's not just you. And, anyone who wants to read my rant on the subject can do so here I just want to learn. That's what I am here for. I would rather hear it sucks and how to improve. Nothing at all makes it pointless and speaks volumes.

Rick.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by DBA1

Well......
Old 02-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

I believe it was pointed out that some of us post images that are so poor they aren't even worthy of comment or suggestion. So we keep fumbling around until we stumble on the right combination of elements that generate either an emotional response from mhickey or the wrath of christian.

View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 02-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

It can be done though. You can tell someone their image is beyond repair without making the poster feel like they've been attacked on a personal level. If you're going to say an image is "crappy" you should be able to articulate what it is about the image that is so ineffective. As long as you can justify your opinion with some coherent reasoning, nobody should be calling you names.

But, if you earn a reputation for being someone who never has anything good to say, or perhaps just enjoys tearing people down for sport, you'll find that your comments will be dismissed as quickly as the images you're commenting on.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303

Jason407 is offline IP: 65.33.176.213

OK...you asked for it...
This image sucks...the focus is off, the model looks bored, and the pose is not flattering to her at all. Plus, the lighting is all wrong and you over PS'ed her skin and eyes...she looks like some kind of alien.

Oh wait...you didn't post an image! Crap! Well, I will just save those comments for someone else. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Personally, I try not to critique other photogs unless they specifically ASK for a critique. I have found that not everyone who posts an image in the main forum is open to criticism. Even then, I usually only post if I know I have a suggestion that would help them. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Plus...I have been busy and haven't had time to visit the forums as often as I used to. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Atta boy...
Old 02-13-2006, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46127

PhotosByDolph is offline IP: 24.99.212.47

OK here is my take on it.

I rarely post comments on photos unless I see something that makes me take notice.

A simple model pose on a seamless will NOT get a response from me.
I look for creativity in the styling, props, concept, lighting, etc. Especially if it is out of the norm.

You know me and we have talked about this before. It takes me weeks to plan a photoshoot getting everything in place. Those shots of "guess who came by my studio last night" shots just don't do it for me. Impress me by thinking outside the box.

Even if the picture sux or ****ty photoshop... At least I can see the effort and know what went into creating the image. I will even email the artist directly to discuss the photograph (so as not to look like a big shot on the forum cutting some other photographer's work)

We all know the big shooters on here (al la Keim, JT, Rolando, Hughes, McFarland, etc.) and we all enjoy looking at their work. The lighting, the styling, the close up of the model's creative makeup. That is why they get 1000+ views but at the same time get few responses. Is it because we know what to expect from their level of work?

However if someone posts crap. (ie a girl in a sweater hugging a tree like a senior portrait) Do we just all assume that it is a bad photo and just don't say anything like the photographer should already know this?

Take a look at all the photo books in Borders or Barnes and Noble. Is the stuff people are posting good enough to be in that? Why post a photo unless it is the very best you can do. Push yourself... you will only improve.

Take at look at my UK friend Bob Carlos Clarke's photos: Now HE is creative..

View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByDolph Visit PhotosByDolph's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByDolph

Re: Atta boy...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

Okay Tim....I can respect that...but what do you tell those photogs that cant afford or dont have access to "Creative Design"...I find these things take funds!!! which alot of the "Learning" Photogs dont have. I totally agree with you on pushing the limits...but Ive yet to figure out how to ..without coming out of pocket!!!! HELP US lil guys to push those limits that get your attention!!! Im tired of the seamless too!!!!

Respectfully
Don.