Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
\"I haven\'t lit anything myself in over a year\" PART DEUX
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some of you may have read the IM convo between photographer Holly Randall (Suze Randall's daughter) and my friend, Luke, in THIS POST and might also be interested in reading a follow-up on how Holly's shogt went.

Here's another IM convo between Luke and Holly from this morning that Luke posted on his blog.

HollyRandall: i'm exhausted!
HollyRandall: i don't ever want to shoot without an assistant ever again
HollyRandall: i just finished about 1/2 an hour ago and it's almost 10! ok i'm going to take a bath
Luke: How did the Aimee Sweet shoot go?
HollyRandall: It went pretty well... but enormously hard to do without help, plus the rooms in my house are so small that they're impossible to light correctly. But I edited everything last night and I did get some really awesome shots. I shone a Speedo through a piece of wood with irregular oblong holes cut through it so it threw patterns all over the wall and all over Aimee. I'm going to have it processed as tungsten film shot in daylight, which will give it a cool, ethereal blue cast. The bathtub I shot with a ring flash, and I'm going to discard the color profile and make it black and white. I had to pin black duvateen to the wall behind the bathtub because you know that grate and candle holder above it-- comes out distracting and really annoying on film. Then I shot her outside in my overgrown creepy looking alley wearing my prom dress from senior year in high school, LOL. I'm going to mess with the colors and try to make it look cross-processed. The other two I think I'm keeping the colors normal-- a corset against blue drapes (my least fav, probably because it was the first one of the day) but I used the wind machine so I did get some good shots. I also got some really pretty headshots in the upstairs guest bedroom, just against a white wall with nice lingerie and a touch of a hairlight, which really brought out the red in Aimee's hair. But I brought way too much equipment, clothes, and props that it's going to take me 4 trips back and forth to the studio to get everything out of my house. Plus I hurt from carrying crates filled with lights-- the crate of ring flash equipment must've weighed 50 pounds and it banged against my thigh as I walked and now I have a bruise from it. My back is killing me from holding the camera; which is enormously heavy by itself with the 70-200 lens (and the image stablizing feature for some reason increases the weight) plus the weight of the ring flash really killed me. OK I'm done complaining.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: \"I haven\'t lit anything myself in over a year\" PART DEUX
Old 02-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is interesting to me, mostly to hear about her shooting in her house. I've got a shoot Thursday with a new model and I'm kind of leaning toward deliberately not putting up any kind of a background and forcing myself to find ways to shoot in the house. My place has lots of neat spots that would work, in the right hands. Might be time to force myself out of my comfort zone some.

Anyway, not entirely on point. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Re: \"I haven\'t lit anything myself in over a year\" PART DEUX
Old 02-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Every location you shoot at presents its own challenges. I'm lazy. That's why I shoot, whenever I can, in my studio where I control the environment rather than it, to some extent, controlling me. But... and this is a BIG but, the best stuff, IMO, is often going to be shot in locations that present the greatest challenges.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd