Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Just last Sunday
Old 02-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735
Comments: 0

RickHughes is offline IP: 69.94.193.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

From time to time there is a post similar to this on the forum(s) and it causes us to pause a bit, maybe reflect and soon it is forgotten by those not immediately involved. This post is just another of those.

Frank Roberts and I did a photoshoot last Sunday for Mega Management with a beautiful girl from here in the Atlanta area, Ashleigh. She arrived with her mother, and was her usual self. Very motivated and excited to shoot. She was full of ideas, moved fantastically in front of the camera, etc. You would give her a great idea on posing, she would nail it, you'd pull out your memory card and replace it and when you looked up she was in a completely different pose that blew yours away.

Friday night Ashleigh apparently took her life. The details are not real clear, and probably never will be. This is an honor student, full of life, etc. You just never could have seen this coming. No signs at all. At least not readily apparent ones. She even talked a lot about ideas for other shoots with excitement for the future. The point is...well....I dunno what the point is. I am not even sure what the reason for the post is other than to tell a story, and it is probably on some level a way for my mind to try to make sense out of something that can't be made sense out of. It isn't even really a "Go hug your child an extra time today" post, although that is a great idea. It is more just a "Here is something that happened" post.

I dunno. Some things just don't make sense. I always hated math. Sometimes things just don't add up.

View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Re: Just last Sunday
Old 02-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38178

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.20.136.214

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It is hard to comprehend why someone with seemingly so much promise would take their own life. It is sad that someone would be so desperate to think that is the only why out of what ever situation they are in.. I agree we should give our children extra hugs and loves today and every day!!!

Ron
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ron_C Visit Ron_C's homepage! Find More Posts by Ron_C

Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
CarlinDahle

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 71.70.139.34

Wow . . . just don't know what to say, other than yes, hug your children and let your family know that you love them every day.

Carlin Dahle

Old 02-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

I shot with Ashleigh a couple of months ago. Just as you say Rick, she was full of life and having so much fun. Out of 120 or so frames we had less than 5 that were not good ones. We talked about future shoots and all was well. When I received her parents note yesterday morning I couldn't believe it. No signs at all. She will be missed. My heart and prayers go out to the parents. I can't imaging their grief.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 02-05-2006, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

"Just Last Sunday" sounds like it would make a great title for a book or movie.

As you wonder........not sure why I am replying either.

Perhaps to let you know that what you experienced was superficial. She might have done her job well, nailed the poses, and fun to work with. Who would have thought? Just like you said.

Maybe someone called her fat?

Perhaps someone shot her fat?

She might have been told to lose 10 pounds?

Maybe she wasn't someone's favorite model?

Maybe the latest cover model had a body like she wanted?

....and perhaps it had nothing to do with modeling or anything else.

I don't have a point but one thing that gets overlooked in the daily grind is that everytime you shoot someone, you shoot life!

Most of us forget that part. This story reminds me how fragile life really is and how trivial our industry can be.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 02-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

that is so sad and seeing her so vibrant in your recent image makes it more unimaginable.

condolences to all.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Rick,

Six years ago our friend and next door neighbor took her own life. She was a beautiful, smart, extrememly successful young woman who, for reasons only she knew and with seemingly everything to live for, spiraled downward through a series of drug and alcohol addiction cycles till everything she had was gone or about to be gone and then she killed herself.

Her mother and father have truly never recovered. About a year after Nichole died her mother went back to her house and with the permission of the new owners dug up and carried away some plants she and her daughter had put into the garden together.

Over the course of the last year or so of her life, Nichole had pretty much lost everything there was to lose and her mom had precious few actual physical items that had belonged to her daughter that she could keep in memory.

So while it makes no sense to anyone, and while it absolutely is a wake up call to hug your kids and call your mom, I would think -just a respectful suggestion- that you or someone like you could take it upon themselves to collect the pictures you and any other shooters took of this beautiful young girl and archive them. Maybe not today, maybe not this year or even five years from now, but someday her mom will want those shots.

If you've already begun the process, apologies for going over old ground.

My five year old son is wrecking things in the other room, I'm gonna go in and kiss him till he yells at me.

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Aw, geez.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35309

postcardsfromthewasteland is offline IP: 68.218.37.27

Rick,

There just aren't words, and even if there were, they wouldn't be good enough. There isn't an explanation that we know, and maybe only she knew of any real reason why she made this decision. I've been down this road before; the enduring pain of those left behind is unfathomable.

You should feel a tremendous amount of priviledge in these dark times. You had the honor of being one of the precious few to capture her image, especially toward the end of her brief life. And you captured her beautifully, perhaps as the true angel she was soon to become. Regardless, it should give us pause as photographers of the real impact it means to capture a moment in time, as the light could soon flicker away when you turn your head a week later.

I hope her family finds solace in the amazing images you took of Ashleigh. You brought out everything she was, and every ounce of light she shone.

Model or no, there is no real rationale for when anyone leaves this earth far too early; could they have made our world a better place? Any time this happens, I believe we're robbed as a whole.

I'd like to think you were meant to create these images with her, immortalize her image for her family and the future generations in her family that will talk fond about her, and not how she met her end.

More than you know, you might have given them a healing hand well before she left them.

Jim

View Public Profile Send a private message to postcardsfromthewasteland Visit postcardsfromthewasteland's homepage! Find More Posts by postcardsfromthewasteland

Old 02-05-2006, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 69.19.14.25

I am so sorry to hear about Ashleigh. Things like this really sadden me, because at such a young age there is so much life to be lived.
To me it's sad that there is so much pressure felt by our young people today, and at times they don't know how to handle it. So often this is the result.

My prayers go out to the family and friends.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 02-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48816

ajalexander is offline IP: 68.179.133.213

I really hate to hear that. She really sounds like she was a true blessing. I have had something like that happen to someone I know and it really just makes you think. So sad again....Her family is definitely in my prayers as well!

aj alexander
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ajalexander Visit ajalexander's homepage! Find More Posts by ajalexander