Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
\"I haven\'t lit anything myself in over a year\"
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's and extract from an IM convo between a friend of mine and Holly Randall. (Suze Randall's daughter.) He published it on his blog. I found it amusing, more so as Holly is a photographer who makes a VERY good living shooting for some VERY big men's magazines. Some of you might find it amusing as well... maybe even enlightening.

HollyRandall: i'm nervous about shooting tomorrow
Luke: why?
HollyRandall: because i haven't lit anything myself in over a year
HollyRandall: my assistants always do it
HollyRandall: and now i'm doing everything on my own and i want to do some experimental lighting
HollyRandall: and i'm nervous that it's going to look like [censored]
HollyRandall: i'm shooting Aimee Sweet for fun
HollyRandall: for the first time in years
HollyRandall: i'm actually doing photography for the reason i got here in the first place-- for the love of it
HollyRandall: we'll see if i still love it by the end of the day, LOL
HollyRandall: i don't have a set schedule, i don't have to get any magazine sales out of this or even shoot explicit stuff
HollyRandall: just whatever i feel like and come up with
HollyRandall: but what if it all sucks?
HollyRandall: what if i've forgotten how to light?
HollyRandall: i'm even renting extra equipment for the day
Luke: sounds like an opportunity for growth
HollyRandall: yeah that's part of the reason i'm doing it
HollyRandall: to break away from my mom's style a bit
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: \"I haven\'t lit anything myself in over a year\"
Old 02-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572
Comments: 0

DBA1 is offline IP: 69.234.232.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

That is pretty amusing! I mean, how could you be around that stuff all your life and not go into any shoot with total confidence? I'm actually a big Holly Randall fan..... now I'm kinda crushed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I still think she is a HOTTIE tho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I sent her an email once through her site. Told her I wanted to come down and photograph her [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Ya know, she never did get back to me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Oh well, maybe you could put in a good word for me jimmy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] With all those assistants running around doing everything, I'm sure I could snap one or two good ones! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by DBA1

Old 02-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.167

Yep...enlightening is the word all right...thanks for posting this.

Playboy dot com had Jenny McCarthy shoot some stuff a while back as one their "celebrity" photographers. She was "amazed" that photographers make what they do, it was all just point and snap (assistants lit her stuff, too...why risk getting unpublishable images?). I wonder if she'd have told Pompeo Posar that to his face (he did her gatefold shoot).

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Jimmy,

Interesting post. Reminds me of the scene in prete-a-porte (spelling?), ready to wear in english. I remember the scene with the "world famous" photographer that walks into the room, tells everyone to say cheese, trigers the camera (with a cable release..lol) hands it back to his assitant and then walks out. Now that I actually shoot, its that much funnier...lol. Just goes to show.....anyone with the "right hired hands" can be famous. Although...I suppose I should give proper credit on this one....I didnt do the lighting either...the sun was my "hired hand" for the day....

View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

David,

I have that CD. Its the same one with Carmen Electa shooting playmate Jennifer Walcott?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

[ QUOTE ]
I sent her an email once through her site ... Ya know, she never did get back to me

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not unusual. with a lot of these websites the person whose website it is never even sees most of the email. it just filters thru the webmaster into the recycle bin.

btw, i'm still waiting for a final confirmation about tomorrow. i'll call ya when i hear from them.... and i better hear from them!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 02-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.167

It's listed on the site as the current celeb shoot, Jenny chose Jennifer Madden from a casting call. It's a shoot at the mansion, they're using what appears to be 60" softliters or equivalent. The quote I mention is in the member's area write-up. Come to think of it, I may have read it the wrong way. She may simply be puffing up the model rather than slighting photographers. Anyway, it's very silly.

David

View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

No toke man?

Mike [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

there\'s a reason
Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.71.45

Before everyone gets all bent out of shape thinking that those of us with assistants aren't doing any work, let me point out a couple things. First, its our butt on the line if the shoot doesn't work. The client doesn't sue the assistant, they get pissed at us if they don't get their shot. Second, usually (not always though) we were assistants and paid our dues, or at least set up our own lights for a long time, which is how we know where the lights are supposed to go, and when its not working. Third, I learned years ago that especially on a big shoot, the kind with clients, mutiple models, motorhomes, grip trucks, etc, I don't want to be a grunt. I need to be able to think creatively, and its frankly a waste of my energy to haul power packs up four flights of stairs (as one of my assistants had to do more than once). It may sound aloof, but being able to just have that stuff get done (somehow, by someone else) does let you concentrate on the job, the models, the client, the "shot".

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: there\'s a reason
Old 02-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

hey andy! just so ya know, i didn't post this as a slight to pros. like you and some others, i make my living with cameras in my hands--whether video cameras or stills cameras--and i often have assistants. i'm 100% with ya on our time and energy being better spent on things other than schlepping gear. but i gotta tell you, i light my stuff. someone else might be doing the grunt work, but i'm calling it and i'm reading my own light meter. on vid shoots, for instance, i've had more than a few gaffers get pretty pissed at me cuz i go and tweak their work. but like you said, it aint the gaffer or an assistant or a grip or whatever whose gonna get an ass-reaming by a client.