Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
models selling photos?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Author of Overexposed

Member GG#: 37500
Comments: 0

jasonaaronbaca is offline IP: 64.166.72.162

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wanted to see if some of the photographers on here had some links to sites or referrals to publishing companies , or stock houses that are looking for images . I've signed open releases with many of my photographers that I'd worked with in the past and looking to sell many that I have.

Jason
  View Public Profile Visit jasonaaronbaca's homepage! Find More Posts by jasonaaronbaca

Re: models selling photos?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43926

Chris_Winters is offline IP: 216.141.93.27

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to see if some of the photographers on here had some links to sites or referrals to publishing companies , or stock houses that are looking for images . I've signed open releases with many of my photographers that I'd worked with in the past and looking to sell many that I have.

Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would like to know some photographers opinion on this.

I am in the process of going through some of the work Ive done with various photographers. My interest is to sell some of the wrok ive done after printing them with good quality paper. or PDF transfer.

Ive been getting some suggestions to sell some of my work... but chasing down photographers would be the HARD part.

opinions?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_Winters Visit Chris_Winters's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_Winters

Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

First I find it interesting that in all my time here this is the first time I have heard this question. Not saying it was not asked before, cause I could have missed it, but the key is 'A Male Model asks and the first reply is another male model'.

The way my release is written it could if I wanted prohibit the selling of the images, however it does allow for 'self promotion'. I guess I never saw it as an issue. Now, I know some models I have shot with have offered for sale the images (complete with signature), and I have never balked at that because those models are precious to me. Am I missing an opportunity to make money? You bet. What is sad is that the CD's I provide for a TFP/CD shoot do not have images at a quality to make good 8 x 10s. I am looking at changing that practice as I have been well in male menopause of late. When my wife, after much harranging agreed to let me continue TFPs, it was under the condition that I would only provide images that were internet quality. If the model wanted a great 8 x 10 ot larger image they had to come back to me (by the way my price for those prints was far below my standard rate).

So, while I have given you a reply I do not know where to send you, but I suspect some photographers you have shot with or maybe not shot with will not like this idea.

Good luck.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

A selling opportunity
Old 02-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

I would think this is an opportunity for both parties. If the original release says that only promotional use is allowable, it would be easy to enter into a selling agreement that divides the revenue. From my standpoint, the key would be agreeing on a price structure so that a piece of work was not being sold for a price that was worthy of the image.

The photographer will have one more outlet for sales (with a very motivated salesperson that does NOT carry any additional overhead), and the model ends up with a decent set of supplemental income from a very high quality product.

Does that make sense?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Carpe Imago Find More Posts by Carpe Imago

Re: A selling opportunity
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

Totally makes sense. What is different here is that it is the model, and a male, that is looking at prospects. Normally, the feedback I have gotten from models is 'so and so is selling the nudes of me that I did in a TFP shoot to get some fashion images and I'm not making anything'. Certainly any arrangement that is win win is cool. However, I did not see anything in the originqal post that led me to believe there was going to be an effort to do such. I personally would entertain the prospect and print the images if asked but in the past I was not asked. I just sorta found out about it. I could have gotten pissed and threatened yadadadada but I evaluated who was doing it and thought, 'I'm happy for them, but I bet the prints suck because they don't have the tifs they have smaller jpegs'.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Author of Overexposed

Member GG#: 37500

jasonaaronbaca is offline IP: 64.166.72.162

Chris , sounds like we are both working on the same idea about clearing out all our excess photos that have been sitting collecting dust that should instead be published. I got the idea because I was going through some old photos that were actually really well done. I noticed that the photographers weren't bothering promoting them online either so figured if they weren't doing nothing , then I would.

I located a book called 2006 Photographers Market ... Get it , that's all I can say! worth its weight in gold!
  View Public Profile Visit jasonaaronbaca's homepage! Find More Posts by jasonaaronbaca

Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Hi Jason,

I own a stock web site called "buymodelphotos.com". This is a stock image site that I recently purchased. It is open to both models and photographers. You can check out the site and then get back with me if you like. PM me and I will tell you what is needed to approve you for the site.

Thanks,
Michael

ps..I should make aware that PROPPER releases are needed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 02-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43926

Chris_Winters is offline IP: 216.141.93.27

Appreciate it!

Yeah, Ive only gotton a couple of ones published by the shooters Ive worked with and the other prints I cannot reproduced because they were client's, so those you cannot resell.

there are a few that i really like and have gotton responses from other people. They arent nude photos in which i dont intend to sell, but rather artistic with a meaning to it.

So far I have one photographer who said he didnt mind it at all, to even sell his work, because he stated he was delighted someone wanted to buy it. I still like to compensate him.

right now, im trying to figure out a way to track all 'sells' so the photographer and myself will keep a good record on whats getting sold or not.

its in the sir, but first i would have to gather inforamtion in which images were in demand.

Hope you do well. your site and imagery is top notch! Im just in the middle of things.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_Winters Visit Chris_Winters's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_Winters

Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Hey Chris,

Here is the same reply I just posted to Jason.

I own a stock web site called "buymodelphotos.com". This is a stock image site that I recently purchased. It is open to both models and photographers. You can check out the site and then get back with me if you like. PM me and I will tell you what is needed to approve you for the site.

Thanks,
Michael

ps..I should make aware that PROPPER releases are needed.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

You may have signed an open release but you probably don't own the copyright, the photographer does. Although I have not read the fine print for your particular release, an open release in general allows both you and the photographer to use the images for non-commercial purposes. You and the photographer can use them for self-promotion, web-site, comp-cards, flyers, etc.

If either one of you wants to sell the image, the two of you need to come to a financial agreement. If an ad agency or other entity wanted to use an image they saw in your book, they'd have to license the image from the photographer. The photographer would, in turn, need to obtain a release from you whereby you allow the use of your likeness for commercial purposes.

If you want to sell images of you to third parties, you need to license the image from the copyright holder, or perhaps buy prints from him/her to re-sell. You can't simply start selling images of you because they were not created by you. If the photographer wants to sell images of you to third parties, he/she needs to obtain a release from you as outlined above.

None of this needs to be complicated. You might simply buy some quantity of prints (100????) from the photographer at some price, mark them up an appropriate amount, and offer them up for sale. If the photographer trusts you (riiiiggght), you might simply cut him/her a check on a monthly/quarterly/???? basis for their portion of sales. Just make sure your accounting is up to snuff, honest, and accurate.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin