Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Leica and the upcoming Playmate Holley Dorrough...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 71.56.139.20

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

For those that haven't read the sticky post on the top of the forum, I've been extensively traveling for what seems like forever. My 15-month old son, 3 year-old and 5 year-old daughters think "Dad" lives at the airport when Mom drives by the airport while running errands.

Most recently I was a guest speaker and instructor at FotoFusion where I not only had the top attended lecture on the third day, but I signed a contract with Leica Cameras as my newest sponsor (yes, I'm also still with Olympus)--a very successful trip that suprised the students when Robert Farber himself, one of my mentors and a legendary photographer, showed up on the oversold and much talked about "Glamour on the Beach" seminar we did for FotoFusion.

While that was truly a great honor, the traveling and honors didn't stop, as from there I headed to Portland (where I'm at now till the 2nd of Feb.) Oregon to work at Gordon J.'s location in Portland for my upcoming books. Here in Portland the biggest honor, is to work again with future Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough, whom I personally submitted to Playboy for Playmate consideration.

Yes, while we are not allowed quite yet to discuss the actual month, though Holley, her family, a few other folks and I know, it's official, she's a future Playmate and if you look close, in this photo I took of her two days ago here in Portland, she's sporting her "Playmates only" necklace.

I first discovered Holley, thanks to JT Smith inviting me again, at his much acclaimed and annual Hit the Lodge event. While at HTL I asked Holley if she would fly to San Antonio so I could photograph her for the cover of my first book, Garage Glamourâ„¢--Digital Nude and Beauty Photography Made Simple which will be at your local Borders, Barnes and Nobles, Books a Million, Amzon.com, BDalton, etc., by April 1st.

When I first saw Holley I saw the natural beauty that she radiates, and I said "wow," she needs to be on the cover of my book--she's truly a beauty model and more. I had no portfolio with me as I accidently left it at home, all I had was my laptop with my PowerPoint presentation I would make to JT's class. As I showed her the photos of other models, I mentioned some models, like Laura F., whom I shot for Playboy Special Edition's under the direction of Playboy Producer Cynthia Kaye. She said, "wow, I always wanted to be in Playboy, can you help me with that?" My first words, in front of the VIP guest Larry Marchant, "sure, but first let me explain, while Playboy Special Editions has purchased some of my work and I've provided them with at least seven models, I do not work for Playboy Enterprises and anyone, your boyfriend, your girlfriends, anyone, can submit you. However, if you come down and let me photograph you for the cover of my book, we'll do a test, then go from there--afterall, I do not just submit anyone to Playboy until I test them, because if I wasn't as selective as Playboy and submitted every girl that tested, they would stop looking at my work. Also, I want you to discuss it with your parents, and I personally would like to talk to them."

Now because it was JT's workshop and Holley is from Alabama, and there were several photographers there that had worked with Holley, also from Alabama, I didn't want to upset anyone, so we first mentioned it to JT. I knew the photographers there held her in high regard, and I didn't want to cause any issues.

When I returned to Texas, I did something I've never done for any model that is over 18 years of age, I called Holley's father and talked to him about his daughter's aspirations and my thoughts on her talent. While he personally mentioned his reservations about Playboy because of his religious beliefs and family values, he also mentioned it was her choice and he would support his daughter. I told him I respected his thoughts as I myself am a father of four girls. From there we booked her flight to San Antonio and Holley spent two weeks here with my family in our home, which was a mess as we had just moved in three days earlier. Holley was respectful, and even played with the kids when we weren't shooting. She fit right in.

After my wife and kids left the house, as they always do if I shoot any type of glamour in my home, we started out shooting the cover of my book, a simple beauty headshot. Then we shot a test which was Holley's first time to ever pose nude. These were tastefully done nudes, with a make-up artist and hair stylist on hand as well as my assistant. From there the images were sent personally via e-mail to Gary Cole (the head of Playboy photography) and Kevin Kuster (the Senior Photo Editor of Playboy) the rest is history.

Holley is truly a first-class person, with a very supportive Mother and Father, who she loves dearly and always talks about. She is one proud person of her parents and extremely proud of the fact they support her goals and aspirations, where other parents would probably fail their kids. She's like a daughter to me, stays in touch, and most important, a friend. While most photographers that have worked with her will probably say the same thing, it's just her way, her upbringing, being a down-to-Earth person. That alone should speak volumes to anyone that's never met her.

Don't get me wrong, she has her side like any teenager does, but what I've seen in the last six months is something amazing, but expected, from Holley. She's matured. She's even more professional then ever. She carries herself with a charisma most people don't have. She's charming, personal, and at the same time has her private moments too. She's herself, not what anyone wants her to be. She's not into drugs, she's into family--it's always about her Mom and Dad, her family, and her closest friends. She's truly a whole package--the real deal, and she's committed to her future.

With that said, do me a favor, keep watching Garage Glamourâ„¢ for updates as they are coming sooner then you believe. Look for her to sign magazines and do promotions for Playboy, the other family she loves too--support her. When you hear the month she'll be in and see her magazine on the store shelves, support Holley by buying the magazine. If you can afford to buy more than one copy, do so, Gordon and I are already buying a 100 each. We want her issue to be a sell-out, so when you hear about it, buy it or even, better, subscribe to Playboy now. Down the road, when the time comes, help her go for "Playmate of the Year" by voting for her.

I have to run, I have three other models and Holley I'm still working with until the 1st. If you're lucky and can come to the Portland Trailblazers vs San Antonio Spurs game in Portland on the night of the Feb. 1st, you'll probably see Holley in the crowd, and if you can't spot her, you'll see me on the floor under the goal as I photograph the game.

If you can't make the game, perhaps you'll see her in San Antonio as she'll be visting her friends in San Antonio right after Portland as we all fly back out on the 2nd.

Thanks, and look for some great new things on GG and I'll answer my PM's and email as I can as we're working around the clock here on new material. For now, enjoy this image of Holley sporting her new and most cherished piece of jewelry, and one of my first images with my new Leica R-9 camera with the digital back--yes, this camera shoots film and digital, comes with a built-in flash meter through the lens, and it rocks! Thanks, rg sends!

(Model, stylist and person who came up with the idea in this photo, upcoming Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough, Lighting, Hensel Integra Pro Plus monolights w/7-inch reflectors and various grids, modified with Rosco Cinefoil, Camera, Leica R-9 w/the Imacon digital back, Leica 100mm lens, 1/125 shutter speed, F/8.0, Lexar 1GB SD digital film, white-balance 6000K)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Leica and the upcoming Playmate Holley Dorrough...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325
Comments: 0

lobofw is offline IP: 69.19.14.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would say that is inspirational for any model or photographer.
Something like this should be read by most starting out in this business. After all, decisions a model makes do effect others (family). Photographers should be respectful of that thought as well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 01-30-2006, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46127

PhotosByDolph is offline IP: 24.99.212.47

That's good stuff man.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByDolph Visit PhotosByDolph's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByDolph

Lobo\'s right
Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

As a new guy to this part of the photographic world this is a "must read". Even those of us that like to think that we are decent, common sense people can and should be reminded once in a while that there is always a "best practices" way to handle any situation.

I probably wouldn't have thought to do this, but all things considered it makes terrific sense.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Carpe Imago Find More Posts by Carpe Imago

Old 01-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42106
Send a message via Yahoo to ginger_80

ginger_80 is offline IP: 72.155.135.94

That is awesome stuff!!! I love the pic! See you soon!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ginger_80 Find More Posts by ginger_80

Thanks, see you at the Atlanta Workshop...
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Ginger,

Thanks, see you in Atlanta at the upcoming International Glamour, Beauty and the Nude workshop in Atlanta at Playboy Producer Cynthia Kaye's studio. Thanks, rg sends!

(Model Tiffany K., Lighting, Hensel Integra Pro Plus monolight w/Chimera medium softbox w/40-degree grid panel, Camera, Leica R-9 w/LEICA DIGITAL-MODUL-R, Leica 100mm lens, ISO 400, 1/125 shutter speed, F/5.6, Lexar 1GB SD digital film, white-balance, 6000K. Location, Portland.)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks dude, see you down the road. Loved the images you did of Chelsie, thanks, rg.
(Model Tiffany K., Lighting, Hensel Integra Pro Plus monolight w/Chimera medium softbox w/40-degree grid panel, Camera, Leica R-9 w/LEICA DIGITAL-MODUL-R, Leica 100mm lens, ISO 400, 1/125 shutter speed, F/5.6, Lexar 1GB SD digital film, white-balance, 6000K. Location, Portland.)

Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks, and thanks for being a part of the GG community and family, rg sends!

Re: Lobo\'s right
Old 01-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks, and thanks for being a part of the GG community and family, rg sends!

(Playboy Model Laura. Olympus E-Volt Camera, 11-22mm Olympus Zuikio Lens, California Sunbounce Pro, Zebra Fabric, Hensel Porty Premium w/Ringflash w/Sunhaze adapter, Lexar 2GB card, white-balance 6000K, Rosco Bastard Amber gel. Location, Virgin Islands.)

Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45483
Comments: 1

wenzlerm is offline IP: 129.79.179.108

I had the pleasure of photographing Holley at Rolando's Atlanta workshop last year. She's amazingly photogenic and truely fun to work with! She deserves nothing but the best!

Thanks, Rolando!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wenzlerm Visit wenzlerm's homepage! Find More Posts by wenzlerm