Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
TFCD how many photos?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Models: How many images do you expect from a TFCD?

Photogs: How many images do you put on a CD?

Myself, I give the model an edited version of every photo that I am willing to put my name on, she also gets black and whites, sepias, and photoshop "experiments". Every image is in the highest resolution possible. And she gets 2 copies of each shot, one sized approx 15x20 to use for prints, and one sized about 5x7 for use on websites. I also give the model a copyright release so she can make prints. I also edit each photo so there are no blemishes, scars, pimples, or what not.
My CDs usually have at least 50 photos, and most are closer to 100.

What do you do, what are your expectations?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Its all negotiable...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

That is something that you decide with the model. The two of you work out how many photos and which photos and how much post processing, etc. I've never provided the same mix of photos twice since its always different. I always ask them what they want out of the shoot and we work toward getting them what they want and what I want. So its a 50-50 deal.

Some models would like to see every photo. I generally agree to give proofs of all the photos with the proviso that I'll toss obvious blank frames, shots of the ceiling or their foot, or some other trashed shot. These proofs are usually a max of 600 pixels on any dimension (about 50-60K each). I put my copyright notice on all proofs.

I then usually work out an arrangement for 10 or so shots that are fully photoshopped and ready for whatever they want to do with them. Part of the negotiation is whether my copyright notice will appear on the photo. Also I allow the model to choose which shots are photoshopped. I generally provide the proofs on a website with password lock.

So its really up to you and the model. It makes no difference what others do as you can agree to anything you want. I would say that it would have to be an extraordinary model and I would have to be getting a great number of usuable shots from a TFP/CD if I gave them the number of fully processed photos that you outline.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: TFCD how many photos?
Old 01-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38049
Comments: 0

Michael_G is offline IP: 67.187.196.167

I think yours is a very generous arrangement. The amount of time editing, post processing and sizing that many images is considerable. Then, allowing the model to go and make her own 15 x 20 images herself is also very generous. Granted, we're appreciative of a model's time and talents but it would seem to be an unfair 'Trade' when the model gets so much out of it having only invested the time at the shoot and the photographer has an equal amount of time, plus post processing work, material expenses etc. It's easy to say that, for example, CD's are cheap, but it all adds up.

I generally provide a proof CD for the model to pick 20 or so images and will then edit and size the selected images for them and provide two 8 x 10" or similar sized prints. Any other prints they need I will do for them at a reasonable fee. I see no profit in giving my work away, especially with the considerable investment in camera equipment, lighting etc. and time that I've made over the years and also during the specific shoot. Everyone is different but if word gets out that a photogrpaher is so generous I think they'll find themselves doing a lot of shoots for free and spending a vast amount of time at the computer. But to what end? I think most of us would love to make a living doing what we do but giving away so much is questionable. Sure, if it leads to a paying shoot with the model later, then it's probably worthwhile. However, I have not done a single TFP that has led to the model coming back for a paid shoot later. One girl does want to do a shoot but is limited to an hour so for $100 I'll have invested (conservatively) about 20 hours between setup, breakdown, shooting, editing, burning CDs, delivering CDs plus wear and tear on equipment etc. $5 an hour won't pay my bills. It's fun and rewarding in other areas, but it won't keep the lights on. Most of the girls (and photographers) here on GG, on MM and on the 'other' place are constantly doing TFP/CD and will contuinue to do so in the hope that they'll get a break and be a working model. Most of them will be doing this until they are too old or burned out from putting in time and energy and getting nowhere. Most established pros (nodels and photographers)will not do TFP unless there is an outstanding opportunity being thrown their way, but they are few and far between.

So, I think your models are lucky getting the deal they do with you. Hopefully it'll be rewarded in the future. But the truth is; don't hold your breath. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you want and where you want to take it.

Cheers,

MG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael_G Visit Michael_G's homepage! Find More Posts by Michael_G

This is what i EXPECT
Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42000

Orchid is offline IP: 71.138.177.143

More than none! I do realize that it does take time an effort to edit images, and that all that equipment costs money. Of course, my clothes, gas and skincare regimen aint exactly free.

I've received close to 200 photos, 5 photos and everywhere in between. (We wont count my not receiving ANY, since that only happened once.) I will and feel that i have the right to request web ready AND hi-res/really big files if the photographer isn't able to print, say 15x12 or whatever size i need. If they are, then i guess ill choose a couple that i want at that size, but i would still expect to be able to print the files i DO get at home (like if i wanna hang it on the wall or somethin.)

Personally, I'm not looking for a big break, especially through TFP.. Im all about the image. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Orchid Find More Posts by Orchid

Old 01-30-2006, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 24.158.13.225

In the past I've given full size proofs of all shots and I chose the ten that I think are best and photoshop them. I also give the model permission to print for self promotion only.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 01-30-2006, 01:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.206.41

I give them all I take, but the release stipulates niether of us can sell any without the others permission...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 65.116.105.130

I typically give 6 or 7 edited photos at web quality then small, low resolution, copies of all of the other photos from the shoot (minus any that are technically flawed or have other problems). That usually works out to about 100 to 200 photos.

I supply a release to use the digital photos for self promotion in digital form (IE GG or the other places) with the stipulation that the photos can not be used for commercial purposes and can not be sold (ie can't be used on a pay site) without further permission.

I make sure my models all understand this before we even get together. I will provide physical prints, but they are at extra charge. The edited photos that I provide are not edited with the intention of being printed (lower resolution than I do for prints) and are not at the right size for any proper prints so there is more time involved. I have never had a complaint about it.

As was touched upon in another post, it is all dependant on what you arrange with your model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw

Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Depends on how well the shoot went and my relationship with the model. If I like you and think we'll work together in future, you might get a couple extra prints. If the shoot didn't go well, or it was a short shoot (which happens) you might get fewer. You won't get less than four, and you won't get more than eight. If you want more, I'll be happy to sell them to you for a reasonable cost.

On the CD, you'll get at least 20, and you won't get more than 40, high-res images suitable for comp card-size printing or any conceivable web application.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc