Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A question for the photographers
Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.239.205.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just curious, on average how many images do you shoot on a one hour photo shoot, and out of those images, how many are "keepers"? On a recent shoot, I shot 37 frames (I'm still using film) and I considered 2-3 keepers. Just looking for other do, and maybe the individual cases in which the shoot is shot under, i.e. - model wants 10 images, etc. Thanks for your input.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Re: A question for the photographers
Old 01-22-2006, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

http://www.garageglamour.com/ubbthre...art=1&vc=1

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325
Comments: 0

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.52

I don't shoot regularly in a studio, but I think it depends on the situation and what you and the model are going for. My last studio shoot was digital, and althought things looked good in the view screen when I get them on my computer screen they can look a little different.
When I shot the following lady I think I ended up with about 60 shots and about 30 of them her and her husband liked. Not that I liked them all, but that's what they chose.
With film one just has to pay attention to detail more to get it right.

Not saying these are good, but just examples

View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Well, remember ...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.233.194

Well, remember I've been doing this for more than l50 years and have learned a couple of things during that time. My typical session runs around 3 hours and I probably average about 50 shots per hour. Out of an average one hour segment of about 50 shots, if 45 were not 'keepers', I would be pissed at myself. The numbers are about the same whether I'm shooting film or digital. The 'secret' is to slow down and look, then look again, pay attention to every little detail before pressing the shutter button.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35609

jcochran is offline IP: 68.119.66.18

In the past year I shot several models, mostly fairly new or just beginning. Depending on the model in 2/2.5 hours I shoot 80 to hundred. maybe less if I decided to change light set ups etc.. I give them the 30 to 50 best, with my list of the 6 to 10 top pics. Of these must the time I really like 2 to 5 of the shots. I also give them all the others that are not complete crap to view or pick from. If they are getting prints they always pick some from the seconds group.

Yesterday, I shot a male model who had his concept, and idea he wanted, he needed one image, we shot for 90 images in 1.5 hours, narrowed down to 9,then to one image. That one will get some post op, he really like several of the others and is getting low res copies of all the proofs so he can repurpose some of them and put some on his various web locations.

john
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jcochran Visit jcochran's homepage! Find More Posts by jcochran

Old 01-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I shot a 1 hour Headshot session last week and took about 15 pictures in each of seven different outfits/looks. Of those, maybe 50 % are good enough to print and use and maybe 30% are really good in my opinion.

I was just using two sets and the handheld ones yielded a lower % of useable pictures. I need to use the tripod more with the longer lens and available light.

I don't think my answer is to shoot more, but as another noted, to look, look again and then shoot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43848

InfraRedAgency is offline IP: 70.246.79.200

I'd say that I average about 40 to 50 per hour; as well. Of those, probably 5 per hour are great, and 1 or 2 are "keepers". I give the model a cd of ALL the pics, so she can pick her own, and do with them as she pleases.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to InfraRedAgency Visit InfraRedAgency's homepage! Find More Posts by InfraRedAgency

you have to define \'keeper\'
Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Seriously. Is a keeper a shot that is 'good enough' to use? Then you should have a bunch from a typical shoot. Is a keeper one that knocks you flat? Usually fewer of those.

If you're in the studio, working with a good or great model and an MUA your ratio should go up. If you're out in the world street shooting and just taking whatever the world puts in front of you --this is my experience anyway- you can go all day and get lots of 'good' shots but maybe one or two genuine 'let's print this and hang it' keepers.

I've been doing a lot of headshot work with actors and agencies lately and have noticed that the actor almost never picks the same 'keeper' shot as the one the agency picks.

And don't forget, your own definition of a keeper should change as your skill level increses. I know when I go through my keeper files from a few years back some of it still holds up for me and some of it...well... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

That's my half nickel's worth anyway.

Shannon
some current keepers on display here

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 01-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Since switching to digital I shoot a lot more images during a session. In a typical three-hour session I generally shoot about 600 images, and depending on the model, I select about 30% to 40% as "good images" (meaning the lighting is good, her eyes are open and the pose, expression and composition are acceptable). From that I typically take the top 2 to 3 images from each outfit/setup into Photoshop, clean them up and upload them to the model's review directory. That gives each model about 12-24 good "portfolio-quality" images from each session.

The collage images below came from the model shoots I did last week. I took over 15GB of images during 10 shoots and had about 5GB of "keepers." (I shot everything high JPEG - 2000px X 3008px). That averages out to about 1.5GB per model (including a handful of Photoshop files per model). Does that help you?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 01-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.170.161

Well, me being a newbie, my average might be different, but I've always looked for one good keeper per roll of film no matter what the subject, and whether it be 36 exposures for 35mm, or 16 exposures for 6x4.5 120 medium format. Sometimes I get a lot more usable ones than I planned on, sometimes I don't get any. With my current level of experience (which ain't much), my consistency with getting keepers, well, ain't so consistent at times. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But anyway, my last two shoots we shot about six hours each, and I shot about six or seven rolls of 36-exp. 35mm film. And so far, my usual average is holding true, but it might also be because I don't see much of a point of having a bunch of similar shots (all from one set, for example).

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley